PDA

View Full Version : Caples?

joshc40
11-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Hows the bite at Caples lately? Thinking about heading down there and maybe even stopping by lake Kirkwood. Just wondering what kind of lures, and bait are attracting those trout. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

Josh

hopevalleyfisher
11-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Anything gold or that looks like a small trout will work good. I ll be up there on friday or saturday

-king_fisher-
11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
i havnt been to that lake too much, but all i hear is that inflated night crawlers work great for big brown trout. i try salmon eggs, but i keep pullin up crawdads. in the creek below the lake, wax worms and little panther martins work well. i like to pull brookies out of it, i perfer it over the lake myself.

cgagex3
11-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Josh,
If you know the lake I can tell you my hot spot for the last few months. As you head up the hill past the spillway there is the first smaller rock outcropping then the second bigger one that goes way out into the lake. pull over there. Hike down to the right side and there is a shelf along the waterline that you can walk all the way out to the point. There is a little flat spot there that you can get down close enough to the water to use a net if you need to. I have also fished the exact same spot from the middle of the lake on my pontoon casting towards the corner.
From that point fan cast out in all directions as far as you can with almost anything gold. Try different count down times until you find the level the fish are at. There are days you cast out and slow retrieve right away and they are right up top. This past weekend I found them on gold Kastmaster between a count of 8 & 12. Just let it drop to the 8 count and started to reel in slow and was getting bumps every other cast.

Good luck

CG