PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

brownblazin
11-17-2007, 12:49 AM
On Friday, November 23rd I will be taking my son fishing at Cherry Lake for his 8th birthday. Will someone please give me some advice on where to fish. We will be fishing from a boat. I have fished there from the bank before but never from a boat so I am not sure where to fish. I prefer to baitfish with him but if powerbait is not working that well then I will try trolling. I do not have downriggers, would trolling without downriggers be a waste of time. What kind of lures would be my best bet to troll with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tortuga
11-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I haven't been there for over a year but by the damn was always good and around the islands. Bait should work but trolling this time of year might really be good. Toplining should be fine. I use a silver flasher or dodger with a short leader and a nightcrawler back about 100 feet from the boat cruising pretty slow. 2mph or so if you have a gps. If not just watch the rig close to the boat and make sure its not spinning in big circles. Wedding rings with or without a dodger with a piece of night crawler also work. Pink or chartreuse spinners are another good bet. Good luck out there and let us know how you do. Its always great to take a kid fishing.
Tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

steveo79
11-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Tortuga gave you great advice, hers's what worked for us in late October.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1193708595/14#14

They've released a LOT of water, so their are no islands. As you go upriver from the dam, and pass the now reworked pumping station, you will see them on the right. That cove from the pumpstation, around the point that was the island, was a good spot for us.

tragedyspring
11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I ve heard its a helluva hike but if you can reach where the river comes in and throw silver and blue kastmasters thats where all the bigger fish hang out.

HOOF
11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I would head up towards the inlet and troll out off of the island and in the cove area with small silver seps flashers and a red wedding ring.But if you want to bait fish go to the last cove on the right by the inlet and throw some power bait(orangs and rainbow glitter is good.A buddy of mine caught a 2lber from shore in that area about a month ago-all the fish were close to shore..Cherry is the lowest it has been in years due to them draining it to work on the pumphouse so the fish are all collected in small areas it seems..

brownblazin
11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks to all of you who took the time to give some advice to a stranger. The people on this website are awesome.