PDA

View Full Version : Quarry Lake 11/8

Troutoholic
11-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Got out there 7 AM started trolling black gold J-7, weding ring, seps pro dodgers with orange grubs and pumpken seed grubs. Two toplining and two 5- 10 ft down on riggers ( dont worry me and my buddy have double rod stamps :) ). After no bites tell ten we stopped for an early lunch and soaked some night crawlers.. My buddy ended up hookin a 23 inch catfish on 4lb test. We trolled to the back and hooked one 16 inch rainbow on the Seps trolling grub, and like ultralightfan said there are major peaks/shelfs in the lake bottom, i got snagged up twice. Ended up calling it a day. Fun trip and we were the only boat on the lake ;D here are some pics from a cell phone.... oh and the trout died due to bleeding out, it also had another hook and a broken line hanging out his mouth lol someone must have been pissed :D
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/KMKPraskin/217222458_724054718_0.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/KMKPraskin/217273377_724232134_0.jpg

steveo79
11-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Must have been one fo those day's, but, you did have something to show for it. Fried catfish is nothing to turn your nose up at. From the belly back, those are some tasty fish right there.

Troutoholic
11-10-2007, 11:13 AM
anyone have any trolling tips for Quarry?

tragedyspring
11-10-2007, 01:38 PM
i have had limited sucess with small 2 inch rapalas- gold with a spinner in front- I dont know if they make them anymore, the spinner is built in to the front of the lure. I havent trolled there for a year at least- since i figured out how to fish Del Valle. I would not use anything larger than a seps sidekick for the quarry if any flash/dodger at all. worms would be my first choice for the planters, so they would probably work better right after a plant. Larger spoons will catch larger fish- although at pyramid last week- I caught several 14" fish on a 7/8 spoon, so go figure. For a larger trout how about trying to slow troll- .8 to 1.2 a 4" watermelon apex? I dunno that lake always stumped me trollling. And yes the back area depth fluctuates ridiculously. Probably would have better luck parking your boat in the middle and casting various lures until you found the hot one. I saw some guy catch a 13 pounder right in front of me on the disabled pier on a firetiger kastmaster awhile back. GOOD LUCK