PDA

View Full Version : Dell Valle 11/3

MarlinMaster
11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Thought we'd try it again. Went back out to the secret spot. Landed on the sand bar in the narrows. >:( Fortunately it was sandy and didn't do too much to the prop. Managed to get off of it with the kicker.

Stay to the left facing the dam going through there.

Hung out in the morning in Heron bay near the overflow spill thing. I caught three in the first couple hours (between 9:00 and 11:00 am) and my buddy managed one. Nothing of any significant size - but they were still lots of fun. None was a holdover. Nothing worth snapping a picture.

Bobber fishing near shore with a nightcrawler between 3 and 6 feet below the surface.

Trolled up through the narrows with J7's - for nothing. 5-8 feet OTW.

The sheriff came over to harass us (EVERY TIME I'M ON THIS LAKE). He said my 1972 life jackets were too old. (They were purchased in 1995)

I asked if they were illegal - he kept dodging that question. He threatened to write me a ticket because of a 1/2" tear on one of them - even though I had more jackets than people. He looks at the fire extinguisher, throwables, sounding device, signaling device, ore, and on and on...

I understand that they're performing a service, but to go through this on a weekly basis is ridiculous. I hate it when cops decide to make up their own rules to enforce just because everyone is in compliance with what the legislature came up with.

So - make sure your life jackets are clean and look new - they'll be adding that to the boating safety course next quarter.

Next time, I'm getting a name and going to file a complaint.

But the fishing is so good - I guess I'll put up with it.

chicofishrmen
11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Welcome to boards MarlinMaster & thanks for the report! I miss fishing DV, & it's only gonna get better for you guys!

Seon
11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey welcome aboard. Is the picture of the boat the one you used at Dell Valle?
BTW your boat looks similar except for the color, to the one I recently bought. Mine is an '86 Beachcraft 20'.

FKVB
11-04-2007, 05:21 PM
MarlinMaster, do you know the boating requirements for California (Lakes and Delta) ? I just want to be ready 'cause I sure would hate to take a long trip to Del Vale only to be ticketed or kicked off the water because of my ignorance. Thanks, James.

MankinD
11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
You could arrange to have a Coast Guard auxillary inspection. They give you a sticker that you can diplay on the side of your boat and the law enforcement is less likely to stop you. (except DFG of course)
It's not a bad idea to make sure you are safe rather than just compliant with the law. My .02 ;)

Doug

Seon
11-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I picked up a pamphlet at DMV titled ABCs of the California Boating Law.
Quite informative but if you can get the CG Aux do an inspection, it'll save you from reading the pamphlet :o ;D

johnbfishin
11-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Some of what is required depends on the size of boat you have, it's good stuff to know.

Del Valle is also a popular kayaking lake, a few inconsiderate power boaters have put kayakers at risk causing complaints= more enforcement.

MarlinMaster
11-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Hey welcome aboard. *Is the picture of the boat the one you used at Dell Valle?

Yup. It's overkill for a lake - but it's nice when the weather picks up on the Bay and Delta.

Yes I have all the coast guard stuff - even the offshore requirements (Flares: hadnheld & flaregun)

Seon
11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey welcome aboard. *Is the picture of the boat the one you used at Dell Valle?

Yup. *It's overkill for a lake - but it's nice when the weather picks up on the Bay and Delta....

I don't think it's an over kill. *That's why I bought this particular boat...to stay dry when it rains, to be sheltered when the wind is blowing, to warm coffee or hot chocolate on the stove for the grandkids when it's too cold while waiting for the fish bites *;)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/687113/17898945/282051734.jpg