PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake first trip

redneckpunk
10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to the guys who responded to my post last week begging for info on how to fish Eagle Lake. I went up on Friday for the first time and stayed at my father-in-laws place at Spaulding Tract. A last minute change in plans had me actually bringing my own boat and serving as skipper on an unfamiliar lake fishing an unfamiliar species(trout, I fish primarily rivers). But what a way to learn.

After a briefing from the in-laws Friday night,I hit the water with my brother-in-law and a friend at 0700 Saturday. We began trolling (no downriggers on this striper fisherman's boat) the tules just out to the right of the launch ramp using Rainbow Runners(family swears by them). I snuck a small nightcrawler on to mine, thanks to "sniffers" advice and by 0720 I hooked up to a nice 3lb'er. I say nice because it's bigger than most trout I've ever caught. At 0750 we had our second fish in the boat, a 3.8lb'er, on a green Rainbow Runner. The bite was gone after that until about 0845. We moved out from the tules into 11ft of water between the shore and Pelican Point. With things slow I decided to switch lures and went with a Repala, not jointed, in a rainbow trout pattern. As soon as I set the drag on the reel and placed it in the rod holder "BAMMM"!! A nice 4lb'er. We were off the water by 1130. Total fish for Saturday in my boat, with a rookie captain, was 5 for 3 fisherman (2-3lb & 3-4lb) ;D . Father-in-law netted one fish for three guys :P

1-Red Rainbow Runner w/ nightcrawler
2- Green Rainbow Runner
1-Trout pattern Rapala
1-mackinaw pattern(?) Rapala

Sunday wasn't as lucky, scoring only scoring only one 3lb'r in my boat for 2 fisherman between 0700 & 1215. Father-in-law was luckier with 3 at 3lbs each for 2 guys.

2-Red Rainbow Runners
1 Green Rainbow Runner
1-Mackinaw pattern(?) Rapala.

Along with these catches came two other interesting hook-ups this weekend (get your minds out of the gutter). On Saturday westarted the day with only a small 12" diameter net in my boat. We fought to land every fish swearing each time wewere going to hit the store and get a net that afternoon. As we our last pass in front of Boy Scout Camp my brother-in-law snagged on bottom. Being used to high priced striper lures I convinced him not to break it off, instead trying to circle and losen the snag. As we did he pulled up a fairly new large net that now resides in our gear. The fishing Gods were listening.

The second hook up came on Sunday as we trolled off Pelican Point in 4ft of water. All weekend I watched boaters weaving in and out, circling, etc. with no problems and complete respect for one another. This instance however was the only complaint I had. Some knucklehead in a Gregor decided to cross my troll at less than 20ft behind my boat. I remind you I have no downriggers on the boat so obviously I have lines out, 3 to be exact. Two of the three had mono line using a sliding sinker to get them down to depth so they were out a little further than most. As this idiot past behind, close enough that one of the lines would have hit the bow still out of the water, I pulled the poles and immediatly submerged the tips hoping to avoid the inevitable. At this point the "skipper" was watching what I was doing and making no attempt to avoid my lines. One my lines wrapped around hismain motor that was still completely submerged but turned off. Without saying a word to me this guy starts unwrapping the line but whinning to his buddy in his boat and giving me dirty looks as if to say I was at fault because he cut across my lines when I was trolling a straight pattern parallel to the shore. As he finally unhooked my lure and began tossing it back into the water the hook got him in the finger, drawing blood and cries from him and his buddy that I had hooked him. No words were ever exchanged, but, "if looks could kill". WE seperated and the rest of the day was without event. But the story of the 185lb'er that didn't get away was talk of the campwhen we got back and I had a witness to prove it.

All in all a great trip with great fish and great times with family. What more could someone ask for? Thanks again to the "sniffer's" who provided great advise with posts and e-mails. I'm officially hooked on Eagle Lake and will be back Opening day next year and many more times thereafter.

BTW- To the 185lb'er I hooked, with no brain, you might want to ask yourself, "Was that hook set into my finger an accident?"

~Redneckpunk 8-) 8-)

faceplant
10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Great story,
Thanks for posting,
FP 8-)

billfisher
10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Congratulations on your first trip success at Eagle Lake. Stripers are great, but ELT aren't bad!!

I was interested in the part of your report about the guy who ran over your lines. There have been other complaints this year about the same thing at Eagle Lake (see Val Aubrey's Eagle Lake fishing report web site). My experieince over the years is that almost all fishermen are very courteous and make a great effort to avoid trolling over other fishermen, so I wonder if this is becoming a common problem or if it is just the same bonehead over and over again. If the latter, then props to you for hopefully hooking him up with a lesson on good manners.

Congrats again. Nice fish.

Mr_Ed
10-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Glad you had a great trip..................

Maybe you need to invest in a " Roberts adjuster" !!

Other wise known as a flare gun, to get their attention, next time....... ;)

CODIII
10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Great report. I love the detail that you put in there, it is very helpful. I am going out there in a few weeks for a day trip. I think I will have to pick up some rainbow runners. I have always had good luck out there with just a dodger and a worm but I always up for trying something new

jcarman
10-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey redneck-

I was at Eagle Lake this weekend for the first time too in my new Gregor...just kidding...but it was my first weekend up there. I was in a tan 186 Fisher with a blue canvas enclosure. What were you in? We probably crossed paths at some point.

I had a similar experience except I was trolling along side of a guy in a Klamath and he suddenly turned into my path crossing just in front of my boat. >:(I stood up and made some noise in case he just didn't see me but he just kept going. When I got back to the dock to trailer my boat, my dad noticed we had two fire tiger rapalas hanging from my trolling plate! ;D ;) ;DI assume it was from that boat. Not a bad way to collect lures at a knuckleheads expense!

Duck

redneckpunk
10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Duck
we were in a silver and blue 16' Fisher with no top and always someone on the bow in a folding chair with either a 49ers jacket or hat (I wasnt going to allow it but I have no room to brag about my raiders). That Klammath wasnt by any chance a rental? We saw a guy and his wife do that to several boats on Sunday, even almost slamming into the side of one while he played with his gear. Never saw him with lines in the water, always seemed to be tying on new lures but did see he was using Rapalas.

jcarman
10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey redneck-

Your description sounds pretty accurate. There were two people in the boat, and it could have been a rental, but when they cut me off the guy was just letting out his line. I couldn't believe he was letting out right off my bow! Oh well, like I said, it was easy pickins for a couple of lures and provided some good entertainment!

I don't think I saw you guys out there. I would have definitely noticed a 49er jacket in a lawn chair ;D

Glad you guys got into 'em too! Awesome fishery, just wish it wasn't so far away!

jwirch
10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Redneckpunk,
Nice job on those ELT, they sure are a beautiful fish and taste even better. I've had problems with stupid people crossing my line also, they really don't have a clue what they are doing or trying to do ;D ;D We have been fishing Eagle for at least 15 years, and always go back, it's a great lake, with many fond memories. 8-)

redneckpunk
10-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Koke,
I'm hoping this will be my first trip of many and in 15 years I will have plenty of memories to share and a knowledge of the ELT that allows me to give the excellent advise that I received from sniffers before going. Already I've started gearing up to fish trout more often with a goal of nailing a 5lb'er+.

jwirch
10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Red,

Those 5lbs are in there, I've caught a couple myself. Someday, I'll take my son up there to fish, so he can keep the tradition alive. Thanks again for the post, next time you go, take a flare gun for the stupid lake lice!! I'll be up there next month, post when I get back.

Koke 8-)