PDA

View Full Version : casting rapalas from shore

jigmaster
10-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I was wondering what type of rods, fishing line is recommended for casting rapalas from shore. I just can't seem to get any distance from shore, and when i add weight it seems to effect the action of the lure. Any recommendations?

Mr_Ed
10-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Well I guess I will have to give away one of my trade secrets ,that I have learned in my 50+ years of fishing.

You 1st have to make the Rapala lighter by removing the front hook
or the center if it has three. :o :o

Then replace the hook with a small bell weight................

Now, was that so hard ?

This will also work with F/Fish type lures...........etc.

Let me know how you did.

Good fishing Ed

The_Big_Sinus
10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Make sure you are using the "countdown" raps (they start the size code with "CD" rather than "F" or "J") and not the floating ones (F) except in the smallest of sizes.

You will have better luck lobbing them with a long, slow-action rod. You will have better luck with the lightest line possible. I frequently use 3# test.

Best I can offer.

ol_dude
10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Maybe it’s your lure choice… Rapala’s are good but, there are many lures available with a much better action, detail and internal bearings/weights that load-up just for casting….

Seon
10-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm fairly new with trout fishing. In the pass, I've fished off the bank using crawlers and power bait. Last Saturday, I learned to troll with flashers and worms but have never fish for trout with lures; however, having lived in Northern Va for 12 years, I'm pretty proficient with bass fishing using lures and artificial worms/grubs/lizzards. No pun intended but I know size matters when fishing different species :-/.
I think it would help us "newbies" if someone would post a picture of the lure they used when the "knocked" them dead ;).
But what do I know, I like rope burns ;D.

mtalley
10-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Reel. What kind of reel are you using? I use a spinning reel, Pflueger President on a 7'6" Med-lite extra fast St. Croix. I am no expert on line but keep it small, I use 6 lbs. I use P-line but others can tell you much more about line.

Lure. Like others have said if you use a Rapala make sure it is a Countdown (CD). I like a CD7 in brown trout. But the most trout I have ever caught off the bank was with a firetiger Krocadile. It is a heavy spoon that you can really get out there.

Hope this helps.

Seon
10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
For us rookies....

Rapala CD7 is 2-3/4" lg- 1/4oz

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_113526_renderset_01?$main-Medium$

mtalley
10-15-2007, 07:19 PM
CD=Count Down, every second of time is a foot in depth the lure sinks with slack line, I think.
7=The lure is 7mm long

Others
F=Floater
J=Jointed, they only make them in floaters now, no sinking model
there are also Shad Raps, Jointed Shad Raps, etc.

http://www.rapala.com/

Athlete24
10-15-2007, 08:27 PM
If using a spinning reel, make sure you have enough line, you have to find the sweet spot, not to much or line will be coming off when you don't want it to, not too little or you will have too much friction between the line and reel and distance will suffer.

troutseeker
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks Ed, great info, cannot wait ta try it out.... ;)

red_perception
10-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Check the Rap website. On the right you'll see TOP to BOTTOM, FIND FISH. This is all the lures they have. Scroll down to LC Long Cast Minnow. ;) I use a 6.5' Shimano spinning rod with 4-6# mono or floro. Good luck, Eric :) That is a cool idea ED.

Mr_Ed
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Ahhh, shucks...........twernt nothin. ;)

Just go out and rip some lips !! ;)

Ps a steady retreive sucks............

Try the old shuck & jive retreive , with pauses and twitches. 8-)

Whoops...... Let another one out of the bag............ ;D ;D ;D

Later Ed

dar_fisher
10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
If you are using a spinning rod you should use a softer line like Trilene that comes in the red box and do not over fill the spool, there is a right way and a wrong way to put it on, or have it done at one of the sports shops.

dar fisher :)

MASTER_OF_LURES
10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I recommend 14lb superline Crystal, you know the "clear" braided, it is the best I've tried, and its all I have in my tackle now (the value pack), you can tie almost any lure, using a spinning, and it allows for a decent cast distance, its f-ing great im telling you, and it is low visibility too.

Oh but just remember to blood knot it to mono, or other than braided line that is tied to your reel....the braided expands and contracts and it wont grab the reel after a while.....Im telling you man good stuff!

REDFLY
10-16-2007, 05:54 PM
chuk the rapalas[pun intended] and buy a fly rod-happy fishing-

REDFLY
10-16-2007, 06:00 PM
hope i didnt sound like a jerk-its hard to understand my sense of humor on a computer-