PDA

View Full Version : lafayette resevoir rookie trolling

dinos marine
10-11-2007, 11:32 PM
i will be going to fish lafayette res, and have caught lots of fish on bait. i really want to catch something trolling. i see a lot of fish in the 20-30 foot range, so bought a downrigger and trolled shad raps, and rapalas. no strikes. i am trolling very slow with a elecric motor (minnkota 50lb at lowest setting). about 50 feet from the boat. i plan on trying some dodgers and flashers in brass and silver. main line is proline 8lb braided, with a barrrell swival attached to the hardware. if i use a plug, i will run a 24" - 36" leader 4lb, berkely xxx.

question, what am i doing wrong?

any luck lately at the lake? is last fished two weeks ago and it was still really hot outside. caught a lot of small bass 11-1 7/8" CR all day long. trying to catch a lightning trout if possible.

any luck with the new brands of PB?

jyang
10-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Have you tried southend in about 20ft of water? I was at Lafayette last Sat. trolling I caught 4 trout in the southend by the white bouy. I was using rapala J-7 and kastmater on the downrigger. I was at 20ft on the wire.
Also check the lure action next to the boat. I have minnkota 55lb thrust trolling motor. When I troll in 1 setting it's too slow for me.

I hope this helps.