PDA

View Full Version : June Lake Loop In October!!!! Help!

bobby
09-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Headed out for our honeymoon trip, 2 weeks and a 30ft RV, the dogs and our fishing gear.

First stop June Lake Loop! We were going to hit Saddle Bag first, but they will be closed.

So, never fished the loop, can anyone give us some good info. Fishing spots, gear, RV spots, regular camp spots we can park the RV. We plan on doing some full hookup spots for the RV, but if we can get lake front or a nice camping spot, well just not so the full hook ups, Im hoping the crowds will be small.

We got two weeks, dates are 10/1/07 - 10/15/07

Thanks guys!

wefish5
09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Hello,

I saw your post & thought I would recommend Virginia Lakes which is located about 30 minutes south of bridgeport. They have 3 beautiful lakes & a campground (Trumbull). The fishing is great & the scenery is beautiful You can check with the folks at the lodge or Ken's Sporting Goods for the lastest fishing info.

http://www.kenssport.com/
http://www.virginialakesresort.com

You can also PM me for more detailed info.

Rosa

bobby
09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
awesome, thx so much!!!!

wefish5
09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
You may want to call the campground to confirm that they are still open. Also, when we were there a few weeks ago there was a big bear roaming the lakes during the day. I know that it was also visiting Trumbull Campground.

bobby
09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
thx for the heads up.. was the bear minding his own business? should be no one up there huh did u catch any fish?

wefish5
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, he/she just roamed along the shoreline. All of us bankes, reeled in our lines & picked up our gear & went to our cars. He was just looking for some food.
In regards to fishing yes we did very good. But, I just checked the CA DFG site & they didn't plant this week. Check it out ... select Region 6.
But, don't let that stop you. Call Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport. They are very helpful. Or, call Virginia Lake Resort & speak to Carolyn/John Webb.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/index.asp

Fish_Bully
09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Honeymoon? RV? Fishing???

You married the right girl!!!!

My wife wouldn't go 2 weeks RVing & fishing anywhere, period....let alone to celebrate something..........Thwack...Ouch!

Good luck,

Flip

bobby
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Thx for the info WeFish, there still be plenty of fish for us im sure of it, things are coolingdown, its on!!

Yeah, she even suggested this trip herself, pretty cool.

wefish5
09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey, don't be fooled guys. There are women that enjoy camping, rv'ing & best of all fishing ! Hey Bobby, check your PM.

FishMischief
09-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Banking it at the loop can be tough at some lakes. *June lake there is some access from the campground but I usually avoid that. *I try to access June lake from the swim beach walking down either side. *I have done well almost every where on the lake from there.

Gull lake has some access from the small park but its shallow and not real productive. *At the opposite end of the lake there is some bluff access but its not real comfortable and usually over run. I have always limited at gull lake by renting one of their aluminum boats and dropping worms or PB near the tullies.

Silver lake has lots of access but in many places it is very shallow and not real productive. *Best sport are usually not off the road but near the small marina.

Grant lake had lots of access with lots of deep areas but that lake is not always as productive from shore. *Sometimes its great, sometimes its dead.

bobby
09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, we are going to rent at gul l lake for sure, how big of fish did u catch there, anything nice, or just planter size?

We can afford to rent a boat a few times, but not everyday, i sure hope we find a bank spot,.

Will it be uncrowded at this time?

How about camping at the loop, anything lakeside or super close?

FishMischief
09-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Mostly 12" planters there. Did get an 8lb Alpers trout there but I was trolling thomas boyant spoon at 6 colors.

I would rent at June lake. We usually get a mixed bag of bows and cutts trolling rapalas #5 jointed in rainbow and black and silver. We have taken some nicer cutts too, about 3lbs. Usually would work the rocks directly across from the marina and along the tullies toward the marina.

Should be slower than most times of year, especially camping. We usually stayed in cabins.

bankerbull
09-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Yes, he/she just roamed along the shoreline. All of us bankes, reeled in our lines & picked up our gear & went to our cars. He was just looking for some food.
In regards to fishing yes we did very good. But, I just checked the CA DFG site & they didn't plant this week. Check it out ... select Region 6.
But, don't let that stop you. Call Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport. They are very helpful. Or, call Virginia Lake Resort & speak to Carolyn/John Webb.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/index.asp

Those black bears up there are tamer than yer dawgs at home..

gbslade
09-20-2007, 07:21 AM
You can also fish Rush Creek which runs from Silver lake to Grant Lake and from Grant Lake to Mono Lake. It's a small stream, but my wife and I caught quite a few fish last year in October. Between Silver and Grant Lakes it was all Rainbows. Between Grant and Mono it was Rainbows and Browns (We fished this reach mainly from Hwy 395 upstream).

BTW: The regs for the section from Grant Lake to Mono Lake are: Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. Bag limit 0.

Washoe_Pirate
09-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Bobby,

You chose the best time of year to visit the Eastern Sierras. Best time to fish and the fall colors should be just about in full swing.

I fished June Lake last weekend across from the JL marina against the tulles. We caught mixed limits of bows and cutts (the biggest was a 5lb or so bow) with kastmasters. Gull and Silver have been ok this summer from boats. Grant has been either great or horrible. Try fishing Grant where Rush enters into the lake. *I would suggest investing in float tubes. You could probably get into one or two for the price of what you would rent boats for over the extent of your stay. With tubes you can access great fishing in any of the loop lakes.

If you get tired of the loop....Saddlebag has been on fire the last couple of weeks. The water is up a little and if you hike to the back side of the lake where the creek comes in and use a fly and bubble combo or lures you should have a great day. If you are going to be around a while than it wouldn't hurt to try Lundy Lake where the creek comes in next to the resort.

You can most defiantly expect small crowds. Grant Lake has lake front RV hookups but it gets really windy from that spot. I think that your best bet in the Loop is to park it at Gull Lake. However, I am partial to the Lundy Canyon camp grounds. These grounds don't all have full hookups but they are less noisy and in the aspens. The Gull Lake grounds are too close to the highway for my taste. Lundy is always where I send people because it is kind of in the middle of all of the good fishing holes (between the Loop, Tioga, and Virginia Lakes area ect.

You always will be successful with powerbait however I have most of my luck with flies and lures this time of year. Try kastmasters, Thomas Buoyants, small Rapalas, and Superdupers. Flies that work well are copperjons, woolybuggers, and hairs ears. Dry flies work well if the bugs are on the water.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!

bobby
09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
this is great info, thx a bunch to everyone, keep it coming if u have more!!

So, this Lundy Canyon camp grounds, is it on the loop..... how ffar from water, anything we can take a short walk too?

bobby
09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I tried caling Virginia Lakes resort, and the number on their web site is disconnected, is this place gone now?

Is the Virginia Lakes area, a better bet than the June lakel loop??

thoughts?

i do not want to camp by the highway, thats forsure...

Washoe_Pirate
09-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Lundy Canyon is about seven miles north of Lee Vining, and about 15 miles or so north of the June Lake Loop. The camp ground is situated on Mill Creek which comes out of Lund Lake in the aspens which should be beautiful when you are there. Depending on which camp ground (because there are several), I would expect that you would be less than a mile or so from shore fishing at Lundy Lake. I think that the Lundy Lake Resort actually has full hookups and is about as on the lake as you can get (you may want to contact the resort). There are a lot of beaver ponds above the resort that holds thousands of little brook trout - which may make for a lovely short day hike. Lundy Canyon is about five miles south of the turnoff on 395 to Virginia Lakes.

As far as I know, the Virginia Lake Resort is still open. There are people who live up there year round so I wouldn't know why they don't answer the phone. The Virginia Lakes area would be a great choice for camping ect. however it is a bit higher in elevation so you could expect it to be a lot colder than the June Lake Loop or Lundy Canyon. I would suggest looking at a map of the area and local camp grounds. This may assist you in choosing the one that would cater to your fishing and camping needs best.

kgphotos@pacbell.n
09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Hello Bobby,
I will be in the area the same time as you guys. My brother and I are planning to stay on the June Loop for a few days of fishing Oct. 10th-13th. We will be fly fishing from our float tubes. Washoe Pirate had a good thought about the cost of float tubes compared to renting several times. We love our tubes and would never go to a lake without them. You need to factor in the cost of waders and flippers as well. Either way I hope you have a great trip and a fun honeymoon.

wefish5
09-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Hello,

Here's the phone number for Virginia Lake Resort 760-647-6484. Leave a message & John or Carolyn will call you back in the evening. You can ask them about the fishing & the weather temp.
Check out this link for camping at Trumbull Lake.
http://www.virginialakesresort.com/camping.htm

Washoe Pirate is correct. The Virginia Lakes are at an elevation of 9500 so It will much cooler. But, Little Virginia is the perfect lake for tubing. If you decide to pirchase Tubes, you might to check out Craigs listfor a couple of used Tubes. As mentioned, you will need waders & fins.
http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ca

bobby
09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
wow thx for all this great info guys and gals

hows fishing at twin lakes been?

wefish5
09-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Are you referring to Twin Lakes in Bridgeport? If so, you can call the store at Lower Twin to fiond out. Or, call Mono Village for the Upper Twin.

shadtrapper
10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Hopefully your out on the road....just got back from June lake.
Caught 4 nice trout walking in on From the north east side of the lake, dirt road. Walked in on a trail for 10 minutes and went to a opening where there was a break in the tules, also a big rock there...threw out rainbow power bait, 18 inch leader. Make sure your where the water gets deeper . Good luck

shadtrapper
10-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey, Saddlebag lake is open. the store is closed only. Lots of fish being caught off the point and in the cove to the right.... GO there!!!