PDA

View Full Version : Columbia CA Question

Trapper43
09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I will be going to Columbia CA for about 1 week. Is there any good trout fishing in the area??? Won't have a boat will just be bank fishing. Looking for streams or lakes. Thanks for any info.

Mackattack
09-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Lots of places to fish (you pass over the Stani. if you come from Sonora) (if you come from Angles Camp you can drive up the hill to many spots lake or river).

Mackattack

FreshwaterFrank
09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Melones is tough for bank fishing right now. I've heard Don Pedro is same deal. Try the S.Fork Stan. below Italian Bar, or the mouth of the Stan, Melones Res. at the end of Camp Nine Rd. (across Parrots Ferry Bridge in Calaveras County). Special regs above Camp Nine Bridge...be carefull. If you can find it, the "Forebay" in Tuolumne, between Italian Bar & Camp Nine has huge browns...very difficult to catch but they are in there. They live in the flume, & come & go depending on releases down the mountain. You want to hit it when it's full, just before they open the gates & drain it. Big spoons near the flume outlet, the big ones return to flume as soon as the water starts to go down. I've caught 5 lbers there & seen 8 lbers. Angels Creek from Murphys to below Angels, is well stocked & water level is constant. Periodic trophy plants mean you can catch a 3-4 lber if you're lucky/good. Up Sonora Pass, I'd try Donnels for lunkers, tough to fish, but they are in there. If all else fails, you can always snag a lunker at the Springfield Trout Farm, out by the Columbia Airport...for less than a trip to Slammador.

jeffrm20
09-24-2007, 10:02 AM
If you want EASY and I mean EASY trout fishing, hit Springfield Trout Farm, it's right out of Columbia. Ive been there many times. Its fun just to go see all the different pools of trout and all the trout fry at different stages. I'd suggest it!

Springfield Trout Farm (209) 532-4623 21980 Springfield Rd, Sonora, CA