PDA

View Full Version : When is the earliest yt, Bonita, tuna, etc show...

chromeslayer
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
up down in San Diego. The earliest I've been and had success is mid-April. Is mid-March to early to go for these species of fish? I'm itching to go since salmon is closed and ground fish isn't til summer.

gmdcdvm
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Well,
There are what people call either "home guard" or resident yellowtail off San Diego and Long Beach along the Coronado Islands. The bonita can be around all year depending on water temps as well. Usuall if you want to target yellowtail and bonito early spring is when they start to show up. You'll be hard pressed to find them before April, but they can be found.

As for the tuna it depends on what type of tuna, the particular water patterns for the year, and how far away from San Diego you are willing to go. The albies don't really get going until summer (june or july), but can be caught earlier during good years. If the water is colder the blue have a higher tendency to show up. Yellow fin tend to be caught in warmer waters. For all of these guys summer to early fall is best, but what you catch will vary. Last year was a decent year for albies and some blue fin. The year before was horrible.

I would say your best bet is to keep an eye on the fish reports on line out of H&M Landing, Islandia, Seaforth, or Point Loma Sportfishing. May would probably be the earliest for the tuna's. Local yellowtail in San Diego can be pretty scarce. Catalina island seems to have a healthy population, and their is always the chance for white sea bass. If you go around late march or early April you could potentially target both white sea bass and yellowtail.

Gerry
G