PDA

View Full Version : Colors for halibut?

Furbait
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm considering trying red lures and black lures for halibut. I'm wondering, has anyone else here had any luck with them? If so, what conditions are best for those presentations? *:-?

From my side, I've had the most luck using white and green shades, in full sunlight and moderately clear water. However, my hali experience is rather limited... :-/

Thanks and Good fishing! *:) FB

Richard_Kwon
02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey Furbait.

I've used a redish color swimbait with some success (though I too have had more success using green colored swimbaits but that probably has more to do with the fact that I fish during the day) at dusk or overcast afternoons at two different locations (BP and Alameda)

Among other colors I've used one like the following:
A 4inch Big Hammer "senorita" color

http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swimbait.jpg)

I generally try to follow the old rule of light colored lures on bright days/clear water and darker colored lures when it's darker outside or the water is cloudy.

Good luck.

Richard_Kwon
02-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry about the image not showing up (not sure why. Maybe I'm just lame). You can just click on it if you want to see the color I use.

sokoo
02-25-2009, 03:59 PM
For me, 4" blue/pearl swimbait and purple hoochie on jighead are consistent producers, whether it's for halibut rockfish or lingcod. Only for gopher rockfish, a smaller crayfish body out-performs those two.

Furbait
02-25-2009, 05:14 PM
sokoo,

The purple hoochie seems like it might imitate a squid or an octopus, which is what I had in mind when I was thinking about red hali lures. I've read that market squid will flush bright red when agitated, so I was thinking that color might be very interesting to a big flattie!

Your observation about the gopher rockfish preferring a crayfish body is really interesting - do they focus their feeding on crabs, shrimp or prawns?

Thanks again! *FB

Furbait
02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the input, goldenbear!

I was thinking of using the black baits in exactly the situations you described - overcast days and early or late. My idea was just as you said, bright colors for bright conditions, dark colors for dark conditions.

You know how women wear black dresses to make themselves look more petite? I'm thinking that a somewhat larger black lure might give the right amount of visibility. For example, if you're using 4" green swimbaits during midday, I'm thinking a 5" or 6" black swimbait right before dark in the same areas might be worth a good try. *

Good Fishing! FB

sokoo
02-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Your observation about the gopher rockfish preferring a crayfish body is really interesting - do they focus their feeding on crabs, shrimp or prawns?

Thanks again! *FB

Every 3 gopher rockfish you catch, you will find one little crab in their mouth. Cabezon mostly eat crabs too, but usually bigger ones. For gopher, because of their small size, 2" crayfish bodies work best. For lure of that size, I use 1/2 oz jigheads found at WalMart, cheap, and have strong and shorter hooks. I tie a dropper leader to my 1 to 2 oz jig above, which has a baitfish body (to target the blacks and lings), so the 1/2 oz weight can go down to the bottom. Gophers almost never come up to bite. But then on fast drifting days the 2-jig set up snags too often so I use a single jig (usually 2 oz, a hoochie with a 2-oz ball head looks really like an octopus). Gophers don't bit well on fast drift anyway. I like eating gophers and Chinas the best among all rockfish.

hooked_fishin
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
try this. i use them for rock and lingcod awsome color but don't know for halibut i'm going to try this year. lfs in seattle gots great stuff for crabbin and fishing and cheap too. i get a package once a week from them. * heres the link *

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=419

Hooked Fishin * *out!