PDA

View Full Version : Shasta, August 21

Budman
08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Started out in Waters Gulch Cove around 0630, surface temp 77 degrees.

Manuvered around for about an hour for three fish: *a 12" Eagle Strain, a 14" Salmon and a 14" Trout, all on the Silver/Blue Hummdinger starting at 70' and dropping 10' with each hit.

Moved on over to No Name Island. *Got a couple of 16'ers on the Nickle Trout Cripplure/Glow, a nice Salmon and a 16" Eagle Lake Strain Trout at 75". *Got a couple more Trout of similar size on the Silver/Blue HD.

Trolled on over to Toupee and got another nice Trout on the Trout Cripplure/Glow.

Picked up and travelled on down to the West Wall/Entrance to Dry Fork. *Got nothing in the usual spots on the West Wall until I started on the buoy line. *By this time I was down to 100'+ depending on calculation of DR weight and speed. *Got a nice Trout on the Trout Glow CL guy. *

Most of us are accutely aware of our trolling speed. *When I get a serious hit, I push a button that allows me to slow down to idle speed o/a 1.0 mph. *While at this speed I was bringing in a nice Trout, on the Glow Trout CL.; while releasing him, at less than 1.0 mph, I got a huge hit on the Silver/Blue HD at 100' (so much for maintaining speed). *He was a big fat Trout. *However, as all those other than the Eagle Lake types and Salmon, this big guy had a few sores.

I got a couple more 20"er's on the SB/HD at 100'.

Later, I put on a Nickle/Green CL and set it down to 120' where I got a couple very nice Trout.

The last one gave me a serious trial. *

This for those folks that are familiar with the buoyed area near the dam. *As I assume most of you do, I troll fairly close to the buoy line. *I got a very heavy hit, pushed the "idle" button, kept my Co-Pilot MinnKota on alert and proceeded to wrassle that big rascal. *As the Tylenol for my knees was wearing off and the arthritis in my elbows kicking in, I was physically stressed. *While it was a fine line between a two hundred pound guy (me) supressing a four pound fish, I finally was successful. *

At this point I had lost track of the position of my boat and was involved in letting this big guy get back to the deep, cool water. *As is my wont, I finally was able to unhook that rascal and watch him dizzely swim away.

Proud of myself, while seated in the rear of the boat and controling the heading with my MinnKota CoPilot, I proceeded to reset the Green/Nickle Cripplure to let it back down to that active area when I hear a bump-bump! *"Bump-bump" at 300 feet? *What the heck is there to bump-bump two hundred yards from the lake shore?

I finally looked up and realized that I had hit one of those large red bouys (bump-bump) and was entwined with the cables that secured the entire line. *The excitement of getting that big guy (the thrill that adult men remember as ten-year-olds does not lose it's force), let the wind blow me into a no-nonsence situation. *I managed to get my two rods reeled in and the port DR boated, but the starboard DR failed to get free.

Shoot! *At this point I was more concerned about the two Sheriff boats, that had recently been in the area, busting me. *I finally went back into the forbidden area and tried to wrest my cable free but, as those in similar situations learned, the weight apparently circled the cable more than once and the possibility of getting that bad boy free was more than I was going to accomplish so I finally had to cut him free.

But then, It dawned on me that I had been out there for about eight hours and it was 100 degrees (in the boat) and the temperature was going to get beyond beer point. *So I headed into the ramp. *

Whew! *My beer survived.

And I realized that once again I had experienced something that many folks view in their dreams of retirement...

vvbob
08-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Great story Budman....Too bad about the downrigger weight, but sounds like you boated a couple of chunky trout. I'm amazed when they are a 100 feet deep, man it's got to be dark down there ;D

TroutWagon
08-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Budman,

Dude nice story!, I like your detail. I can relate to you I did the same exact thing during the may 07 derby at Shasta, battling a fish and the wind drifted me into the cables. It sucked, but I kicked Into reverse before it twisted and was able to free my self and get mydownrigger balls back. Sorry you lost the ball.

Way to hammer the trout, Those sores suck :P

See you out there

Rich

Goodtimes
08-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Any pics?? Great story.

Gt

fish_4_alivin
08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Nice story where's the pics? Are you using dodgers or flashers also?

troutpirate
08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
thanks for the detailed post again Budman. My good friend is finishing a house 7 minutes from the centimudi launch (I beleive one of your favorites). I can't make it back until October/November, but we always do well around Packer's at that time and its been about 4yrs since I met you up the Pit River arm when you had ol' yeller.

as far as the pix go, I know it next to impossible to fight fish/drive boat/release fish alive and get a picture all when flying solo.

-jr

Budman
08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi, Jeff! I traded 'Ol Yeller in for an Alumaweld Stryker. Come to think of it, the last time I saw you and your son, when you were camped at Arbuckle Flat, I lost a DR weight. That Pit Arm is loaded with stuff to grab ones equipment.

As far as pictures, guys, Jeff is right about being pretty busy. I'm sure I was on the Pinkerton Guard cameras though. If they were watching, I'm sure they got a good laugh.

My photograph skills pretty much stopped when they quit making the Instamatic Cameras. However, I have a new computer that apparently allows one to merely set the camera in a slot and stuff gets recorded. Perhaps I should get with it.

Another problem with my taking pictures is that most of my fishing is C & R, the quicker I can get the unhooked, the more chance for survival.

Fish 4 alivin, I do use Sling Blades; the last year or so I have been using the 6" size.

Yeah, Bob, I imagine the light is reduced at 100'+. Some of the Sling Blades and lures I use are luminous; I'm not sure if this gives us a greater advantage. Doc or BS has addressed the order of enticement in the past i.e., sight, sound vibration, etc. But I suspect that these visible-in-the-dark lures lose thier luminosity after 15 minutes fifteen minutes or so.

By the way, if I didn't mention it above, that weight snagging incident is a good reminder of why I keep wire cutting scissors handy and in the open.

Be safe...

cw
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Budman,
Thanks for the informative report. Glad everything turned out ok with the downrigger snagging.

Was wondering if the Pitt River arm will be any good the weekend after Labor Day. I will be up there for five days on a house boat. We usually stay in the Pitt River arm due to most of the people going will be enjoying water sports. I will be the only one with a fishing obsession.

I usually catch alot of spots without a problem, but this year I want to target the trout.

Do you think I will do better going out of the Pitt, more towards McCloud arm, or will the Pitt suffice at this time of year and with the current and dropping water conditions? Any info would be appreciated. I do have a map of the lake.

Thanks in advance!!!

Corey-

Budman
08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Corey, if I were to go out tomorrow morning and there was no wind, I would probably fish the Dam area. However, the upper Pit Arm is one of my favorite fishing areas, particularly in the winter after the rains start and the water is high.

Trolling upstream beyond Jones Valley Cove can be a little tricky with the current lake level, lots of snags.

By the way, speaking of snags, while it may be tempting, tying your boat up to one of those dead trees can cause problems. That part of the new lake did not get logged owing to many of the young men going off to WWII coupled with the unexpected rapid filling of the lake. Those trees have been dead for about 60 years now and can fall over any time.

Anyway, if I were going to fish the Pit after Labor Day, the first place I would start is Ski Island (a peninsula at this time) on the East side to include the wall that leads to Silverthorne.

If your options are open, watch the reports at Shastatackle.com.

Plan to fish deep.

Hope this helps a bit...

cw
08-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Budman,
Thanks for the hints on the trees. I tied up to one about two years ago and was wondering if it was a good idea. Now I know. Thanks for the places to start. I heard the trout are chasing shad in the thermocline? Do you know approximatlly what depth the thermocline is or does it change on a daily bases?

Thanks again for the info.

Corey-

Budman
08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Corey, I punched the wrong button in my answer to you which somehow blew away my extremely valuable answer to you.

Thermocline! *Of course, that is where the target fish are comfortable. *When you learn how to input the proper information into your sonar to relay that information to your logic output, I will be standing at attention to receive the information; *it will not only tell us where the catchable fish are feeling at home, we will find the Trout and Salmoln comfort zone. *Bud... *Super ingnorant sonar hero

PS: *Corey, if you have the depth in the area you are fishing, get down to one hundred plus...

cw
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Budman,
Thanks for the input and tight lines to you!!!!

Corey-