PDA

View Full Version : Stumpy Meadows... * OFF THE HOOK! *

JMat
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
BEWARE, this is a long post. *So grab yourself another beer first.

Started out my day at UVR for some kokanee before it's over but after being there for an hour started having problems with the fuel pump(?) on my outboard. *After trying for an hour I still couldn't get the motor to idle so I went up the Jones Fork to try for some trout but nothing. *Spent an hour in the parking lot at UVR tinkering with the motor and decided to head home. When I got to Icehouse Road I decided to turn left and try the boat at a lower elevation, Stumpy. *I've had my boat for about 4 months and have never had it out on Stumpy because the ramp can be such a "cluster #@*&" but I figured UVR was really slow this week compared to last so maybe Stumpy wouldn't be that bad. *Launched the boat and drove all the way to the back of the lake just to check how deep the different areas were and after I had gotten back into 40' of water I dropped the downrigger to 30' and headed back to the dam. *Nothing. When I hit 90" of water I dropped the downrigger to 50', nothing. When I got near the dam I decided to set the depth to 42' because I had marked some fish and that's when it happened, BAM first fish on landed and released. *Dropped it down again and had another and another and another and so on and so on... *All in all I caught 15 fish in about 45 minutes to 1 hour and then the motor crapped out for good so I barely limped back to the ramp and went home. *All fish were C&R'ed and were mostly holdover/wild rainbows from 12-17", beautifully colored and there tails were barely rounded. *The sad thing is they were all covered with copepods. *All fish were caught with a SEPS ultralight flasher and a Kens UV Glow Trolling Worm Harness. *I know this is a REALLY long post but it was such a great day I didn't know how to shorten it. *Also saw a bunch of osprey and got to watch a bald eagle catch a fish about 100' from my boat. *What a great day! If the boat hadn't died I could've caught fish till dark.

JMat

fishlipd
08-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Good post JMat, way to get into some fish. 8-) Unfortunately I'm shore bound right now myself.

JMat
08-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, me too. Until I can figure out what happened to the motor I'm going to be fishing from shore.

JMat

camotracker
08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
nice report but where's the pictures?

JMat
08-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Well, I'm not very good at taking pictures. I'm out there by myself and I didn't have a net today and wanted to C&R all fish so I didn't get around to taking any pictures because I wanted to keep the fish in the water. If the wife would've gone out with me I would have hundreds.

JMat

gadgetman
08-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Great example of making lemonade out of lemons. Way to work through those bad day demons. Still better than working......

jtk25
08-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Good report sounds like fun except for the motor. Speaking of the motor I had the same thing happen to me. Here's what I did: checked the coils, I ended up having one go bad; clean the carbs and reeds; and change the spark plugs 2 stroke engines trolled a lot will load up and not get enough spark in high elevations because the thinner air won't let the engine rev up. Try those things to get you back on the water and pray the motor didn't break permanetly like mine. The #2 cylinder turned inside the block closing off the ports. No way to fix, saving for new 4 stroke.

fish_junky
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Good report and thank you. That's sad to hear about the fuzzy trout. That makes me not want to go there any more. :(

JMat
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
JTK,
Thanks for posting info on where to start with the motor, I was pretty excited to see all your suggestions are things I can do. *Then I read further... bummer hope that didn't happen to my motor as well. *I was going to post for some suggestions but think I'll hold off and start where you suggested.

fish junky,
While it is true that all the fish were at least a little fuzzy they were still fun to catch, just don't think I would want to eat them.

JMat