PDA

View Full Version : putah creek fishing

zach93
07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi, I am new to fishing the putah creek area and need some help on what to use for bait.
I have a float tube.
Any info on where to start fishing or what to use as bait.
Any help would be apriciated.

Thanks,
Zach

zach93
07-18-2007, 10:28 AM
anybody have any help

KISSAFISH50
07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Zach,
You say you have a tube, are you fly fishing or chucking lures?

I fish solano lake fairly often and you could float it. Kastmasters
and panther martins are my lures of choice here. If your using bait
worms and power bait both work, with worms you may get a surprise
every once in a while ( cat fish or smallie).
hope this helps, be more specific on what you want to know and
you will probably get more responces.
oh the good old wooly bugger catches fish here also

zach93
07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I am using a spining reel and got a caddis float tube.
I went last week with no luck I was fishing a threaded worm on a sliding sinker rig with a 2 foot leader.
I am heading out tomorrow to do some fishing what color of kastmaster and panther martin should I use.

Thanks,
Zach

KISSAFISH50
07-18-2007, 01:49 PM
ZACH.
* *I use a gold or gold/orange kastmaster and a black w/yellow dots or a silver panther martin. you might try rainbow power bait also that always seems to work. I hope you are going really early or late in *the afternoon. good luck and post results.

fikevinb
07-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Zach-

Up by the dam floating eggs works, the panther martin black body yellow spots or yellow body red spots both work. I prefer a small Silver blue fox down from the dam, just head about 5 miles up from winters, pull over and hike down......Watch out for poison oak...Good Luck

kb

zach93
07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Went fishing tonight started at solano lake bridge in the tube at abought 4:00PM til 5:30PM got out at the conversion dam and went up to the rapids in putah creek fished with the worm mostly and a little with the panther martin and kastmaster action
and struck out in all locations my dad fished the rapids and caught two 14IN *trout on the worm rig.

Going to give it another try in the next couple weeks.

Zach

Dustriver
07-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Solano is really slow.... They planted at Canyon Creek Resort recently... All the action is above or near Canyon Creek Resort on Putah Creek.

Dustriver
07-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Today, 07/27/07 we caught 6 planter bows by the bridge at Lake Solano, all about 12 inches.

skinnytrout
07-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Can anyone help me with advice about Putah Creek. Wanna go there tomorrow but never been there before. I know I need to take Winters exit, how far from the exit . What about fish? What gear and bait I need there. Any help will be appreciated. You can call me to make it easier 415-722-2809.
Thanks.

Naki
07-29-2007, 01:13 AM
The best way to bait fish the creek is with Salmon Eggs. :DTwo hooks 12 to 14 inches apart with two medium size split shots crimped directly to the line halfway between the hooks. use ultra light gear and 6LB test TOPS. (I usually use 4). Take a bank position at anyone one of the fishing accesses or google earth the creek and find the island that begins about 1 mile upstream from the bridge @ Solano park. Find the backside, usually can limit out there in about an hour.

If you dont know how to properly put a salmon egg on a hook ....LEARN. ;) It will cause a lot less frustration for you. (they will stay on 5 times longer when properly applied) not to mention you will catch more fish! ;D

you will see many deep pools on this stretch of the creek (dont be afraid to move up and down stream), there are many deer paths and fisherman paths that lead to little openings all over this creek. Work as many as possible.

with Ultra light gear you should be able to cast this set-up upstream and across about 35 to 50 feet. cast UPstream and tighten your line, keep your pole out torwards the direction of your line and move it from from right to left as the current carries your eggs along the bottom.... BAM! Youll feel em strike. this is finesse at its best,,,be sure to set that hook! Good luck and Rip Dem Lips!

Nighthawk
07-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Fished there last Monday, 7/23 and caught my Putah Creek PB. *It was a 5 lb. (approx) Rainbow. *I'll try to get a picture out as soon as I can figure out how to post. *This is the first time I've fished it from the 128 bridge downstream. *Usually fish with Pautzkes from the the Yolo Co. access points with good to moderate success for 12 to 14" planters. *I got the usual dirty looks from the fly guys until they saw what I caught. *This baby was a nice fat native. *Caught it just after the rapids, right across from the start of the Canyon Creek Resort. *Used an Owner Cultiva RipNMinnow (shiner) on an old 6'0" ultralight Fenglas Rod and Shimano Sahara 1000 with 30 lb. braid and 5' of 6lb. fluoro leader. *Fished it like I was fishing for steelies. *Cast across the creek to about 1 o'clock, let it drift a little (600 CFS) and then just after I started my retrieve she banged it. *Doubled that old Fenwick clear over from the handle. *As much of a thrill it was to get her into the net, it was just as exciting to release her and watch her swim away to make more and give someone a chance for their own thrill. *It was about 7:30 AM. *Caught a couple more using the same technique but none as sweet as this one. *Saw a couple other big ones on the far side of the island by Access #5 but they were disinterested. *Believe me, I'll be back there again. *It should be even better in the Fall. * :) * Good luck to anyone going out there and don't be afraid to try something out of the ordinary.

Nighthawk
07-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Here's my first shot at posting a pic.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/DSC01606A.jpg

Now I'll try another.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/DSC016061.jpg

Wish me well.

LordRooster
07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Nice fish!!! Have plans to go there in September for my first shot at flyfishing ever. I hope to hook into onr that size!

Nighthawk
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks LR. *I plan on going back again next Monday. *Hope my post wasn't too elaborate but I've been following the boards for a good while, trying to get up the courage (and have a good enough fish) to post. *Frequently, I see people asking for details. *

I've been fishing since I was able to walk and it is one of the few things that still makes sense in this crazy world. *I enjoy nearly all freshwater fishing, particularly trout, bass and steelhead. *I fish mostly locally (Sonoma, Napa, Lake, Solano and Yolo Counties) but take an annual trip to the Eastern Sierra (Bridgeport) for the variety of fish and fisheries it provides, as well as the beauty and solitude. *Nothing better than wading downstream in Buckeye Creek, catching a few rainbows and stopping to soak in the Hot Springs. *I also take an annual voyage to the Trinity River for steelies, another beautiful and fortunately for me productive place. *

All the folks on the boards seem like great people and avid fishermen (persons). I've learned a great deal from all of you. *My steelhead count on the Russian River more than doubled this year (which isn't hard to do since I only caught two last year) and that's easily attributable to the posts on that board. *I look forward to posting more. *Especially, if it means I keep catching worthwhile fish. *

I hope to actually meet some of you in the future.

shon42073
08-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I fish putah regularly and I will tell ya, There are huge trout pushing 30 inches in that creek, Last december I came across a huge spawning area at the first riffle below the resort store near the 128 bridge, Must have been close to a hundred fish and some were huge ! Its really cool to watch em spawn, thet showed no fear of me and i was only maybe 10 feet away in clear veiw of em, I wasnt fishing for em just watching, as you should never fish for trout on redds. The creek gets alot of pressure so the big natives are very "smart" you really gotta work for em. Few years ago I was scouting out the creek a week before opening to bait fishing and I bushwacked to a spot not often fished and saw a really large trout sitting along the bank, next week went back and got her on the first cast, It measure slightly over 28 inches ! Followed with several 18 inchers I had a limit that weight well over 10 lbs at days end. Spring and fall is the best, fall will bring a small spawning run of good sized browns up into the creek from solano lake. The creek flows high and fast in the summer months so wade carefully. Lots of poison oak and rattlesnakes too.

Fishmom
08-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Nice going on the fish--and especially on the release! An interesting and informative report.

Dustriver
08-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Went & hit Solano today, I usually at least almost limit on planters every time.... Today, nooooo.... Just the skunk & saw a couple of carp swimming around.... Towards nightfall there were some baby bows swimming along the bank & not much jumpin' either...

Dustriver
08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
08/05/07-Once again, the skunk! *I hit Cold Canyon and the bridge nothing.... *Hit southside of the lake.... zilch. *The wind picked up later and made it just plain lousy...

Nighthawk
08-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Finally got back to Putah Creek on Monday (8/13). Didn't get any big ones like my last post but brought 6 to the net (and released). Ranged from 12 to 18". All very healthy with great color and quick recovery times. Sorry, no pictures this time. Had one SDR and two LDR's. Still using the same setup and location (generally). Seems to be about a two hour window in the early morning when the bite is on. The flyguys seem to have better luck in the afternoon when the bugs come out. Its great to be fishing early on a weekday, when my buddy and I have the creek to ourselves. Its a beautiful place and it helps that the more dedicated people tend to pack out the "signs of humanity" that other less caring people leave behind. Til next time.

Nighthawk