PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Beaver Creek...?

FlyMonkey
07-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm new to fishing in this area and would like to do a little fly fishing at Beaver Creek. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go on it? Is it even worth it with current flows (i read that they just did a trout plant, so the trout must exist SOMEWHERE on the creek).

I'm completely unfamiliar with it and the area, so I'm not sure what to expect. Any and all information would be helpful!

I'm thinking of going via Boards Crossing over N. Stanislaus. Is this a good plan?

Thanks much.. And this is my first post on Fish Sniffer.. Great site!!!

Rick

bankerbull
07-03-2007, 09:07 AM
where is beaver creek sir...?? thanks steve

Mackattack
07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Yes that is a way togo but instead of going over Boards Crossing keep going strait all the way down the paved road to Sour Grass bridge. Keep on that road all the way to Beaver Creek. The flow is usually low there. If you go into Big Trees State Park Main entrance you can take that road also.

Mackattack.
P.S. Beaver Creek is located off Hy 4 in Dorrington which is just above Arnold.

FlyMonkey
07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the quick replies (gotta love this board!).

Is Beaver Creek big enough to get into w/ waders and work a fly rod? Or is it really tight?

I'll try the Sour Grass bridge way. Thanks for the suggestion. My only knowledge of the area is Google maps/satellite and a few maps on this website and elsewhere. Hard to know what is the best approach.

p.s. Is there a fee to enter through Big Trees State Park?

reeltor
07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey, FM- give a call to Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods in Arnold 209.795.1686 and they can give you the latest on Beaver Creek and surrounding streams. Yes, there is a charge for entering thru Calaveras Big Trees State Park ($6 for day use, I believe). Good luck and tight lines!

Reeltor

n2trout
07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Don't know about the charge for Big Trees. I always come in from across the sour grass bridge. Water level has always been pretty low when I have been there during the summer. I never used the waders, but then again I don't fly fish. :(
I did however just basically *wade in the middle of the stream and drift a nightcrawler downstream with little or no weight. Caught plenty of fish all day long. It can get tight with lots of overgrown bushes and such along the banks. I was lucky enough to have a peaceful encounter with a bear cub that came out of the bushes to the stream to drink. As soon as I saw the cub though I made my way back up stream because I knew Momma bear was nearby. :o
Boards Crossing should have good flow areas for you to fly fish too. I alwasy do well there also.
Good luck and enjoy. :)

Mackattack
07-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Parts of the Creek are good for that approach. When you first get to the bridge at Beaver(look to your right you can miss it)You can either go over the bridge and look for camp spot or stay on the north side and drive up alittle past the logging campsite(its private) a little bit and look for side road towards creek drive in there some nice spots on the water to camp.

FlyMonkey
07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
All great responses. Thanks everyone!

Another question. What are the crowds like on the weekends? I realize it depends on how far you venture off away from popular access points, but I'm wondering how congested it gets without getting too far away from the car (assuming I stop at the suggested sites)? I like the idea of being away from others and having some quiet time.

There is also a chance I can make it during the week instead of the weekend, is there a huge difference in the number of people at this time?

Thanks a bunch!

Mackattack
07-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Sour Grass and Boards Crossing can both be busy(the new CG at Sour Grass has a shower so you can do the math. Back at Beaver or even above or below the above two sites you can get some piece and quiet and great scenery. Explore and stay away from those cubs.

gbslade
07-04-2007, 07:23 AM
First off: SPI no longer permits camping anywhere at Beaver Creek and they patrol the area.

As to waders: I've fished the area for about 25+ years and never used waders. At this time the weather is hot. Just put on your swimming trunks and wading boots or water sandals and go on in.

I haven't been to the Creek since May, but given general water conditions this year you will find very low water and spooky fish, except near the bridge where they plant. Still, try every little pocket and riffle. You'd be amazed how little water it takes to hold a trout.

Good luck.

BTW: My comments apply to the section of Beaver Creek accessed from Dorrington via Sourgrass. I've never fished it via Big Trees.

FlyMonkey
07-04-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm looking at a map of the area on Google and I'm not sure where the Sour Grass bridge is.

There are two roads that cross the Stan in the immediate area. One is labelled NF-5N75 (Hells Half Acre) and the other is labelled NF-5N02 (Boards Crossing). Which is the one that you guys are calling Sour Grass? Initially I was going to cross NF-5N02, but thought after some of the replies that Sour Grass was somewhere else.

And after that (crossing the Stan), will it be obvious where to go to get to Beaver? Sorry for the dumb questions. Sometimes things get confusing depending on how well the roads are marked once you get there.

Mackattack
07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
No worrys mate. When you turn right off Hy 4 at Dorrington on Boards Crossing Rd just follow the yellow brick road(well its really yellow stripes in the the road) when they stop its pretty obvius going down to the river there is a right turn off this paved road down to BCS dont take it stay on paveement till after SGB about 1 mile later its dirt and stay on this road(look for the spring to your left 1/4 m past end of pavement)nice cold water keep going. If you still need help PM me.

Mackattack(happy 4th all) [smiley=cheers.gif]

FlyMonkey
07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, I went to Beaver Creek. It was rather difficult to find the correct road, just as I had figured. I had directions from several sources and after comparing that to Google Maps/Sat images, I kind figured out where to go. Eventually I found myself at the bridge crossing that was mentioned in this thread.

I fished near the bridge for most of the morning into early afternoon. Caught a couple of small rainbows and gently placed em back to grow bigger. Although I could see plenty of trout, they were spooked easily and weren't interested in what I was offereing.

I left the way I came and decided to try another way, I think this is the direction that Mackattack described. Although it is hard to say.. :) Eventually I found the creek after a long teeth chattering trip over some awful roads. Stopped to fish in a more picturesque spot with hundreds of trout (small) swimming along and having no interest in eating. :) We ate some lunch and drove back towards the original fishing spot mentioned above. We basically made a HUUGE loop.

It was a fun small creek, but I would imagine it'd be better during the spring when it is higher.

---

On the way home, we stopped at the Stanislaus (Sour Grass) and took a look. I may go back to fishing here someday. My wife wasn't feeling good, so I didn't get the flyline wet. No one seemed to be catching any fish though!!

----

Then finally, at Angels Camp my wife was feeling better, so I stopped and fished Angels Creek for a half hour as it was getting dark. Got several bites but didnt actually catch anything. This creek was much too small and overgrown for my type of fun.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Now I just need to figure out where my next river will be. :D

Mackattack
07-12-2007, 07:22 PM
So you made it to BDS Crossing with the wierd looking cabins on the right just after the bridge. And then did you turn left back to SRG Brg. There is a short cut well disscuse later.

Glad your wife feels better.

Mackattack

FlyMonkey
07-24-2007, 03:11 PM
So you made it to BDS Crossing with the wierd looking cabins on the right just after the bridge. And then did you turn left back to SRG Brg. There is a short cut well disscuse later.

Glad your wife feels better.

Mackattack

Hi there. Sorry i didnt reply sooner.

No, we never made it to Boards Crossing. I actually looked for it on the way out, but since my wife wasn't feeling well, I didn't want to explore at that time.

I'm debating whether I should go again. But, this time go through Big Trees park. I got a book from the library that mentions this route to get to Beaver. And it appears that it may be paved the whole way to Beaver. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Mackattack
07-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Yes going thru Big Trees Park the road is paved all the way to Beaver Cr. with a nice parking spot at the Stani. before you get there.

Mackattack
P.S. stop at Meadowmont(Snowshoe Brewing ) the food is great.