PDA

View Full Version : North Tahoe City Area Fishing?

Athlete24
07-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey, I am going to be staying in a cabin near Tahoe City in a few weeks and I was wondering what the best fishing places were near Tahoe City and Truckee. We have tried Tahoe before at the Coast Gaurd station only to have one monster on a few years ago, but it jumped and got off.
We have tried Boca Resivior but only caught one planter. *I am limited to the bank so any advice would be much appreciated [smiley=thumbsup.gif]! *THANKS!

Pyramid_Kid
07-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Lots of places to fish in and around the north Tahoe, Tahoe City area from the bank. From 1000 ft below Fanny bridge the Truckee river has been known to produce some big rainbow. There are all kinds of good little holes to fish from Tahoe City all the way in to Reno. Be sure to check the regs as there are some sections of the Truckee river that are catch and release only w/ single barbless hooks and no bait. And there is the trophy section that is single barbless only but Im unsure of the limits.

Then youve got the other area lakes, Donner, Prosser, Boca, Stampede, and Jackson Meadow.

Plus the little tibutaries that feed the afore mentioned lakes. My favorite is the Little Truckee that runs from Stampede to Boca. I think its single barbless and catch and release only but check the regs to make sure.

anglinfool
07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
I second what PyramidKid says. Also, get a map of the North Tahoe area that shows creeks, streams, rivers, lakes, roads, etc.

Athlete24
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to get a map and try the area. The problem with the Truckee after the Fanny Bridge is that at 1000 yards is where all the rafters put in and it can be very crowded, you have to go very early. (which is OK but not much time). I'll check the regs.

SierraSkier
07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
You might try little Bear Lake off of Barker Pass road. You can also get there from McKinney Rubicon, but it is a perfectly awful road. When you get to Barker Pass go over the pass, past the trailhead for the PCT and then turn left on a little dirt road going south. The road could be done with a two wheel drive, and I did it in a Forest Service 2x4, but a 4x4 would be better in case you take a wrong turn. Bear Lake offers quick limits of brookies and I caught one over 2lbs there. The water is warm which is tough on the meat though. So you might think about C&R or try firming up the meat with lime juice before cooking. There are plenty of fish and kids will have a blast. A little raft to get out into the lake would be perfect.

in_possession
07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I just fished little bear lake this weekend and didn't get a bite. The lake use to produce a lot of brookies but the small lake has been overfished and the numbers have really dropped in the last year. I would recommend giving the lake a rest so it doesn't end up like all the other small lakes in that area that have been fished out. DFG doesn't plant the small lakes in that area anymore. :'(

Bigfoot
07-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Stampede is less then an hour and a very good bet. Dollar point, close to you is also a decent try.

tjfish
07-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Check with Mountain Hardware in Truckee for the latest fishing report. I am sure they will let you know the best spots in the area. A few places to consider are Donner, Boca, Stampede, Truckee river and Tahoe.

I hope you have fun.

Athlete24
07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all of the information. *I think I am going to try the Tahoe, the Truckee River and maybe Stampede or Boca. What should I use when fishing from Dollar Point?

SierraSkier
07-18-2007, 06:19 PM
That is amazing about Bear. I went up two years ago and caught a bunch of brookies, one that was well over 1# and probably close to 2#. We drifted nightcrawlers from a canoe. I threaded them like I would with a dodger, but skipped the dodger. I can see where that lake could get hit pretty hard though.

There is always fishing for browns and macks from shore at Rubicon Point. You can actually fish 200 feet deep right from the rocky dropoff there.