PDA

View Full Version : Rockbound lake

JJJ-Mo
07-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Took a bit of a hike last weekend out to Rockbound Lake (out in desolation wilderness, west of tahoe). Entered through the Loon Lake trailhead and followed the rubican trail to bucks island lake, then headed south to southern end of Rockbound lake. No-one was there on the whole lake but me and my two buddies.

Landed 16 beautiful trout (looked to be lake trout, and one large brown) most were C&R, but a few did not survive the take :(. My buddies landed one apiece on a gold and silver spinner.

All mine were caught on a gold and red blue fox spinner.

All fish were beautiful, healthy natives.

If you are up for a TOUGH hike through the brush, this was a fantastic spot....FYI, permits are required for desolation wilderness, even for day use, though I didn't see a single ranger up there.

BreakofDawn
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
J-Mo sounds like a good trip. How far was the hike to Rockbound from Loon? Did you run into the Rubican River up there?

JJJ-Mo
07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
It is about 9 miles hike from loon to Rockbound. Most of the trail is fairly easy (relatively), as it follows the rubicon 4x4 trail 'til buck island lake. The last mile or so from buck island lake to rockbound is not so well-traveled and you sort of have to make your own trail in places through the brush. I would reccomend staying on the west side of the lakes if you go...less wind, flatter terrain, and better trails. Fantastic views also...take a camera. I'll see about posting my pics in a bit.

We did cross the rubicon river at one point while circling the lakes...really clear water. I know you can't drink any river water in cali, but it sure was tempting! We brought a filter with us, so we didn't have to lug much water around with us.

BreakofDawn
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
How was the water level in the river and the lake?

JJJ-Mo
07-09-2007, 05:17 AM
they were pretty full

Mickey_Thomas
07-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Rock Bound Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in California, we used to Jeep to Buck Island and take the hike up to Rock Bound, it used to be stocked by chopper back in the 70's and 80's, don't know if they still do that. Well worth the hike but only if you're in good shape and good in the wilderness ;) Everytime I went up there we were the only people on the lake :D the fish just about bite everything you throw at them because it's all new to them ;D ;D Really looking forward to your pictures J-Mo 8-)

khiameru
07-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Rockbound is hooked to Loon through a tunnel. I would like to think they were Mack but that would mean Loon would have them also But it doesn't

JJJ-Mo
07-10-2007, 01:29 PM
uploaded the pics to photobucket:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/jenkinsjeremiah/Hiking%20Trip/