PDA

View Full Version : fishing while crabbing?

bigbuzz
01-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Can you fish with a pole while you have a crab net out?

chrism
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.pierfishing.com/features/pf-faq.html#3

This dfg pier fishing site would seem to indicate (question 7,8 and 12) that it is ok to use 2 lines unless you are specifically fishing for a 1 line species. It does not specifically say one line and one net but it sure seems to imply that to me. I guess I'd ask to be sure. And, don't even need a lic. from the pier.

This is for bay piers. Question 10 seems to indicate any number of crab traps while fishing in bay, non-pier, with lic. ok.

Open ocean would seem to be ok.

East of the carquinez????????????????

Best to ask

Chris

Oreo
01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
yeah, depends where you are fishing. some places have very specific rules.

I crab and fish when i go to pacifica pier. should be fine on a boat moslty (crab combo trip)

nickjew1
01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Through my experience at Fort Baker, you can have two items out:
two rods
two nets
1 rod and 1 net

chrism
01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
It is kind of bizarre that a totally unlicensed bay pier fisherman can legally use 2 lines but a licensed sportsman fishing from shore next to the pier can not?

There seem to be so many strange laws that superficially seem to have no logical basis, or make much sense, it is no wonder why the regs. are so often confused or misunderstood.

The rules state that an unlicensed pier fisherman hooking a fish from the pier could not legally go down and land the fish on the beach. But I assume a licensed fisherman could (although I guess then he might get nailed if he was using two rods?). Go figure! The pier fisherman has to tear off the poor fish's lips, I guess, unless he ponies up $60.35 for the right not to.

Anyone else got any strange regs?

Chris

Sorry, I guess he would't need the two rod stamp.

CDK
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
There might be a connection between no licence piers and the large population of foreign born residents in the vicinity. I have heard of no other reason.??

Now to expand on your hypothetical scenario. If said angler with a licence was to be fishing on a pier with a extra pole in the water was to leave the pier to land a big fish [legal] be he subject to citation for leaving the pole on the pier not closely attended [illegal] ???? :D :D

chrism
01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Yep, and he better dern well be wearing that license in plain sight after leaving that pier as well or he's really toast.

Chris

Fishbutt21
01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I have even heard the argument that if you have a license with all the right stamps and while fishing ocean waters where more than one rod is legal why are you limited to only two rods on the pier and more if down on the beach ;D