PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek fishing above Lake Solano

Dustriver
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Putah Creek fishing above & in Lake Solano. *Does anyone know what the browns & holdover rainbows hit on?

Naki
07-08-2007, 01:31 PM
If you are talking about Fly fishing I cant help ya much. However, if spinnin and bait is your game try this. First dont waste any time in "Lake" Solano, although there are fish in there...its just usually not that productive. Fish from about 1 mile above the bridge at the campground, all the way to the Private camground below the dam. (montecello). Google earth or map that stretch and you will find an island, fish the water on the backside, its usually pretty good. Dont discount the front side either however. There are many many deep pools and eddies on this stretch. I have caught browns using gold panther martins and black & yellow meps. When I wanna have some fun, I use two salmon egg hooks with a couple split shot in between and just drift eggs off the bottom.

I have also caught browns (although earlier in the spring) below Diversion Dam on rapalas.

Dustriver
07-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Is that the island below putah creek north of the bridge? If so, how do you access this area(short of gettin' wet...)?

Naki
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
No Dustriver, the Island you are refering to is in Lake solano between the bridge and diversion dam, lots of waterfowl back there. You can get to that area in a float tube or canoe, small raft etc..... The other island is about a mile southwest of the bridge (Upstream) where the creek is moving alot faster. Hit me back with your email and i will send you an areal of it.

fishpeddler1
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
It helps if I actually insert the link... ::)
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=65954&p=1

see if this link helps any. I haven't fished there yet but it's on my list of places to try. good luck

Dustriver
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I am going to try to use some lures & bait to hit this "island" area. Is the island is south of Putah Creek Fishing Access #5???? I went to the southside by the island towards the dam, over by the bench & caught 3 1 lb. to 1 1/2 lb. rainbows, all planters... Some guys next to me were caught 2 12 inch planter rainbows too... I saw a 10 lb. + trout swimming by the moss on the eastside inlet in Lake Solano park at the opening of Pleasants Valley Creek into the lake earlier in the day, there were way too many snags to even try to throw anything at him though.... I definitely want to try my luck with some browns.... when I was on the southside 300 yards down from my spot I saw another big trout swimming around the foot of the hill by the rocks. What do these guys hit on? They look different in coloration to regular rainbows, they are greener & pinker...