PDA

View Full Version : Info on Donner Lake

kaliona
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Hello all,
I've searched all the freshwater boards and haven't been able to find the info I'm looking for. I'm trying to plan a trip to Donner with my family. I just want to get a nice cabin on the lake, relax, and fish. There seems to be quite a few rentals right on the water and I thought it would be nice to be able to go out back on the dock or along the shore, toss out some night crawlers or power bait and catch a few rainbows. I've never been to Donner so I don't know if it's just a dream to catch something right off the private docks. I don't want my two boys to get bored so I'm hoping the fishing there will be good. I'll take my boat if that's what it takes to get into the fish. We plan on doing this some time in May if we find a rental place we like. Can anyone share any info on the fishing at Donner around this time of year? Shore fishing, or boat fishing....which is better? What can one expect to catch? I don't have the proper gear (downriggers) for trolling. I mainly want to make sure my boys and wife enjoy the few days we spend up there. Get them away from that darn computer, emails, reality TV shows.....I'm sure if the fishing is good, they'll enjoy it. Any info would be appreciated.

dogapolluza
04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Kaliona,
You should have a great time at Donner in May. *I fish Donner mostly for Kokanee but you can definitely pick up bows and macks on the lake. *I would suggest looking for a lake front place on the South side of the lake as you will have easy access to a private dock with most places there. *Trout can be caught from the bank or boat. *A boat and leadcore *could get you down to the kokes in May. *Water temp will still be pretty cool so the top of the column should be good. *The macks run deeper but you can sit over holes and pick them up if you try. *I'll pm you with more details.

--Dog

kaliona
04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Dog,

Thanks for the info. If I head up there, I'll definitely check out the south side like you suggest. I'll report back....good or bad....either way.

mjkielty
04-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I suggest to truly enjoy Donner for the awesome koke fishing and Mack fishing that it can produce, you spend a little money and hire a guide. If you are willing to spend the significant cash that it will take to rent a south shore water front cabin, the guide fee should not be a problem. If you PM me I will send you two guide's contact info. I would furhter suggest that you bring your boat up and enjoy the rest of your week fishing the areas that the guide has shown you.

MJK