PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fest Saturday April 21

Pyramid_Kid
04-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Well it started out cold and sort of blustery. I arrived at Pelican point about 700. After meeting up with some of the other sniffers on the beach, Mickey, GVF, Big B, Martinez Frank, VVBob, Set the Hook, Mr. Ed, well the list goes on I got the boat in the water about 745-800 ish. My fishing partner for the day was 45 Auto. We headed out to the east side with Mickey and his group. Fished the east side for a couple of hrs with nothing to show. So my partner and I headed back to the west side and trolled back and forth from the North Nets to the end of Pelican point. On my boat I only brought 2 fish in for the entire day. Both of those hook ups happend while retreving my lure out of the DR clip. My Partner unfortunately smells of skunk this evening. After the mad dash for the boat launch after a nasty gust of wind and some light rain.......roughly 40 min later I had my boat on the trailer. Sharing our stories over a couple of cold ones the average number of fish caught for the day was 2. If I remember correctly Mickey and his party brought 5-6 fish in with several LDR,s and SDR,s. All in all not a typical spring fishing day at Pyramid. Matter of fact there really wasnt all that many boat trailers in the parkind area either. My best guess would be roughly 35-40 trailers in the parking area. Not too many campers on the beach at Pelican, or the Nets that I noticed. Im still debating on whether Im going to go out Sunday as the forcast isnt all that promising.

lemonsp
04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey PK. We were out on the bank on the far south end of separater. Caught 9 in about 6 hours with one up to 23inch between the three of us Unfortunately the catch wasn't spead evenly with a coworker catching 8, I had the biggest and our Canadian guest...well got the big goose egg. Was a good day to sit on a ladder and BS a little though. Gave Mr. Ed a shout when he passed by. Good to see you Ed. Caught all on red nymphs.

Topaz_Tom
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
PK, thanks for the report. Sorry the fishing was slow, must be the cold weather we've been having. Tom [smiley=angling.gif]

johnbfishin
04-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Ditto on the report Bryant, I really expected some better fishing on Sat. for you guys. VBob didn't post a report last night, I guess he was too busy festing? ;)
It sounds like Patrick L's boat did ok though the numbers were a little lopsided.

By the way, do know if those guys are going to hangout until tomorrow?
They are calling for a winter storm watch til 4:00pm today.

red_perception
04-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Got the boat in the water around 11:30 toplined for about three hours for nothing but some green goo all over the lures. Cast from shore for another hour while Nesta was napping for nada. Couldn't hang around for the dinner, Sorry folks was reely looking forward to meeting some of you. We had some hotdogs from the lodge but it wasn't reely an atmosphere for a three year old and me.(cigarette smoke) Hope everyone else had a GREAT time! Good luck, Eric :)

cuhogn
04-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Good to see that yesterday provided some action for you guys, thanks for the report.

By the way, do know if those guys are going to hangout until tomorrow?

JB:
I PM'd Vbob to let him know I wasn't heading up on Fri and that I was going to try and make it next weekend with hopefully some better weather. Said he was possibly staying until Fri.

fishslayer13
04-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey pyramid kid, I not that up on that lake, would like to go some time.
Is that a good average for catch or slow fishing for there ?

Pyramid_Kid
04-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Hey pyramid kid, I not that up on that lake, would like to go some time.
Is that a good average for catch or slow fishing for there ?

This was a very unusual day. Im thinking that most of our problems were due to the fact that Im relitively new to trolling. Ive done it off and on for all the years (30) that Ive been fishing. So I dont claim to be really good at it. I have the equipment (boat downrigger and lures) therfore I troll.

But to answer your question was this a slow day? Yeah I think it was really slow. Most of my experience with this lake is from the beach Fly fishin or throwing spoons or really big spinners. *Ive had 30-60 fish days (12hrs), and Ive also spent the same amount of time for nothing. My opinion on this lake is that a good average catch for the day is probably around 10-20 in a twelve hr period. Just an average day is about 5-10. Anything less than this is slow or skunked. Plus you really dont have to know where the fish are as they are pretty much all over the lake. This particular trip I didnt graph many fish because they were in really shallow because they are trying to spawn. Remember this is my opinion and it is subject to ridicule and critisizim by others that have fished the lake longer or more often than I or just think that they know more than everybody else.

45_Auto
04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
fishslayer: Pk is wrong on one count. His being new to trolling had nothing to do with the slow catching. Very few boats scored any numbers of fish. THe cold front turned off the non spawners.. And the fish interested in spawning were in real shallow water. When they're in that close, it's real easy to run into rocks and that can result in some expensive damage to the boat.

fishslayer13
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get back on here ! Thanks for the info guys. Thats about a 13 hour drive from this part of Idaho so Im trying to figure the whole thing out before I go. So what do you consider prime time to go ---before they want to spawn ?
Van

drstressor
04-24-2007, 04:41 PM
The best time for large numbers of fish is October through November and again in March during the pre-spawn period. The best time for big fish is November through February and during the April spawning period. The fish are very localized and act weird during the peak of spawning activity. But there are some very large fish close to shore if you know where and how to fish for them.

There is also another peak of hot fishing in June after they recover from spawning. But that must be a secret since there is hardly anybody fishing in June. ;)

The lake is closed for trout from July 1 until October 1.