PDA

View Full Version : berryessa

jaysimu
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
got to markley cove at 6:30 had lines in the water at 6:45. we trolled around the cove a while and only seen 1 caught so we went to skiers cove about 8:00. the waves were so bad we had to go back around a bend in the river. we had 1 on as soon as it went down. a nice 17"er. trolled a little more and bam my rod gets a hard pull down and feels like im stuck in something. it finally came up and turned out to be a 4 pound spotted bass. trolled a little more and picked up 2 more fish a little spot and little smallmouth. we went back to markley cove and trolled around there awile and picked up another spotted bass. then my dad caght 1 more king 17". the bass all came at 60 feet on a white uncle larrys/silver dodger and kings came at 58 on a uv apex/ silver and green dodger. i tried all depths from 40 to 108 but just couldnt get a bite going.

tman
04-15-2007, 03:05 PM
We were at the dam about 7:30 and had the first fish in the boat about 5 minutes later. Steady bite for most of the morning. We caught approximatley 20 kings with a couple of them at least 20 inches. We kept the 10 biggest and left the water approximatley 1 pm. We used blue/silver cripplure (which caught most of the fish) a white hoochie, and rolled shad. Fished between 60 and 75 feet.

gadgetman
04-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Tman, were you able to get out of the wind in the dam area today? Was planning to go until I heard the forecast last night. Said gust up to 40 mph. Figured the canon walls would block most of it but decided not to push it. Was going to take the wife and didn't want her to have a bad experience.

tman
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
It wasnt windy until about 9:30. After the wind started i had a few tangles because i was stacking my riggers but still had a good day on the water.I had my wife with me today and i blamed all the tangles on her.

loose_goose
04-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow...good job....toughing the wind out and catchin too.....I hate the wind >:( >:(

vvbob
04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Tman
Glad you got into them. Sounds like the waves kept them a little shallower.
Friday 80-90' was the hot depth for the bigger fish, but it was pretty flat water..

firetrout
04-15-2007, 06:48 PM
tman Did you tell her that wouldn't happen with a New North River boat? :D

Glad you got into them today.

Captain_Morgan
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
jaysimu, You might not have got into alot of Kings ,but thats a nice Bass!!! :o Keep trying you'll have a non-stop king day. Sounds like you got the spotted bass down! ;D

kokoloco
04-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Good report jaysimu. Granted you didn't get into a lot of kings, a 4# bass is really nice. And Tman sounds like you hit the kings head on. Both of you braved the wind and came out OK. It can get really unplesant up there with the wind kicks up. Bravo to the both of you. :)

Sam

Vance Staplin
04-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Guy's

It was great seeing everyone on the water today. We sure were lucky there were plenty of fish holding in the dam area and out of the majority of the wind.

The kids ended up with 12 Kings in the boat and lost a few. Some were/are pretty nice fish. We trolled Dodgers and Cop Car Sockeye Slammer #2's with worm trailers on two rods and Rolled shad on the other 2. Caught fish from 35 to 85 feet deep and the two rods with Downrigger Ball trolls out fished the other two by far. But then again, that is normal with kings.

Fun day

Vance

gadgetman
04-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Vance, couple questions about your Downrigger Ball trolls. Assume they are connected right at the ball. How far up the line is your first release (so they don't get tangled) and how close (set back from the release) is the lure to the trolls. Thanks.

Vance Staplin
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Gadgetman,

When ever you use ball trolls no matter who makes them stack the release about 3 to 4 feet above the ball. As long as you are moving you will not have any problems. Just let down fairly slowly when you drop your gear.

When I fish for Kings I usually run ball trolls on all downriggers. I messed up and only brought two ball trolls today. >:( I have been keeping my boat down at North River Boats showroom so I have to clean it comletely out. I thought that I had more in my bag but found that I was wrong.

I have seen Kings go down 45 feet on my graph to ball trolls. I usually roll the shad back about 10 feet. If I see the fish go down and spook I will run them back up to 15 feet.

But, like I said above. Kings love all of that noise and flash and will go up and come down a long way to your gear.

Good luck

Vance

Grande_Dan_G
04-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Hey thanks for the info on the ball troll's. Did ant one see the reports on angler boys about that 10lbs king that came out of there? now that would be a nice suprise on light tackle.

HeyNiceFish
04-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Hey Guys!

Looks like using rolled shad works as well. My question is how does the set up look like? Never done it before. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

T-ROY
04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Dan the king came out of Don Pedro off of Bill Dunn's boat. T-ROY

HUND
04-16-2007, 06:53 AM
I not in the know on the rolled shad can someone clue me in ??

kokoloco
04-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Most people are using a Roto Clip by Pro Troll. It clips over the shads head and has 2 trailer hooks in tandem that lay along side of the shad. It is designed to rotate in the current as you troll. Place it behind a dodger about 12 inches. Most tackle shops have these however get the smallest one; I think it says it for 2-3 inch minnows. Good luck. ;)

Sam

fishguts
04-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I not in the know on the rolled shad can someone clue me in ??

Its a frozen shad, preferrably brined to brighten and toughen them up with that you are trolling.
There are two ways of doing it. The first is to tie your own two hook leader where the top hook can slide up and down the line. With this you hook the top hook in the nose of the shad and then the bottom hook near the tail. Push slightly down on the nose hook to give the shad slight bend which will cause the shad to "roll" over as you troll it.
Many use a dodger in front for added attaction.
The other method is to buy the commercially made harnesses from pro-troll that are the easiest to use. You simply put the nose of the shad in the clip and run the hook through the tail and your off and trolling. I replace the 2 hook rig with a treble and a stinger hook. The distant or tail hook had a tendency to break off after a few fish. The two hooks are tied in line and therefore the top hook doesn't slide which meand there is very little line stretch for the distant hook and it breaks off.
Gamagatsu makes a harness like the firs one mentioned and I've tried them. However I have found that the ring that hooks the nose has a tendency to come loose and the shad won't roll correctly.

Hope this helps.

HUND
04-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Sounds like a SRK for salmon but smaller

I'll have to get one

Thank you !

jaysimu
04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
ya i didnt do to bad. at least i didnt get skunked. but the thing was the 4 pound spot fought hard the little 15 inch smallie felt like i was stuck in the bottom of the lake then i looked at my fish finder and said it was 130 feet deep so i knew it couldnt be the bottom. it was fun those bass on light tackle. But taking the 6 foot rolers in a 14 foot gregor is not so fun.