PDA

View Full Version : Bowman

T_s_dad
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know when the road to Bowman might open. I am going in June for a week but was hoping for a long weekend in May. Who is the best to contact for this info.

I know this is the trout board but while I am there hunting for my 10 pound brown I was planning to wander over to Jacksom Meadow and give the elusive graylin a whirl. I hear that they are fished for similar to trout.

Mad_Russian
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Since we haven't had that much snow this year , you might be able to get to Bowman in June . As far as wandering over to Jackson Meadows , you better have high clearance 4x4 , road is ugly to say the least ,last year it took me over an hour to travel 6 miles .

T_s_dad
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Just got a new FJ Cruiser a couple of months ago. Draging the boat would be the challenge. I didn't go past Bowman when I was there last year but I know the area well. I would like to hike in from the gate at French with a kayak this year also. I caught a nice 20.5 inch rainbow (released of course) in the creek below French a couple of years ago.

If it wasn't so far I would do a couple of early checks. Anyone else game for an early trip?

johnbfishin
04-13-2007, 02:45 AM
I towed my Gregor from Jackson to Bowman 3 years ago and the road wasn't too bad. On the return trip they had graded the road but I think it was a training run for the operator as the road seemed worse for the effort. I haven't been over it since but I can see how a couple of spring run offs would make it slow going. It's possible that Bowman would be accessible sooner than normal this year, May or even the end of April is not out of the question....with a 4x4 of course but maybe not towing a boat. The first step is when the forest service opens the gate so a phone call to them would be the place to start.

We have discussed the topic of Grayling in Jackson here before and I believe it was determined to be a myth, if you get one be sure to get a picture as many folks would be interested to see it.

T_s_dad
04-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Now I am heart broken. A myth, can't be. Might just have to settle for that 10 pound brown that I also quest.

In a fishsniffer article written by Dan Bacher in 2000 he stated "I saw a 14 inch grayling caught by a boater trolling for trout 3 years ago," said John Hiscox, DFG fishery biologist. "The grayling were never planted in the lake, so we think that they came out of another lake in the mountains above Jackson Meadows."

After rereading the article I just might make Jackson Meadow my base camp. It sounds like a great place also.

For general information about Jackson Meadows, contact Tahoe National Forest, Sierraville Ranger District, (530) 994-3401 or fax (530) 994-3143. For fishing information, contact Mountain Hardware in Truckee, (530) 587-4844.

johnbfishin
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I found the previous discussion using the search, hope this helps.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1122855917/0

EXCAVATOR
04-14-2007, 06:28 AM
First week in March I took my snowmobile from the Hwy 20 turn off to Jackson meadows. * ;)6 to 7 feet of snow at Bowman then, last week I was working above Fuller lake and there was no snow to be found. *:'( With a good 4X4 and chains you mite drive it now. * ;) Good Luck
EXCAVATOR