PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cripplures

Ol Angi
03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Do you tie a swivel on the end of the leader and then hook up the Cripplure? Or do you tie the leader directly to the lure. I have been reading that guys are catching trout and salmon on this lure, so I purchased a couple of these lures and was going to try them out this weekend. Any help would be great. Thanks

fishon_chris
03-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I use a * lb leader with barrel swivels tied to the main line for line twist.These spoons I have had ok success with.You might want to try Excels they have lots of diffrent colors they work great for me and the humdinger to.

Chris ;)

fishon_chris
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Typo, on the leader 8 lb leader florocarbon.

trouter
03-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Ol Angi,

I don't like using snaps or swivels to connect any lure. I think the extra bulk and weight hurts the action.

For the Cripplelure, I tie direct with either a normal knot or a loop knot. To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference between the loop knot vs. a standard knot.

One note, Gary Mirales fishes his with a loop knot, since he designed the lure that is probably the best way to fish with it.

Good luck out there

Ol Angi
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will try it out this weekend.

trouter
03-15-2007, 08:54 AM
If I was a betting man, and I am, I would guess you have a handful of nickel/blue Cripplelures and are headed to Berryessa ;)

Good luck this weekend

fishon_chris
03-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I dont use Snap swivels to attach the line to the lure I tie a normal knot and use a barrel swivel to the main line snap.Works fine for me.

Chris :)

Ol Angi
03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
If I was a betting man, and I am, I would guess you have a handful of nickel/blue Cripplelures and are headed to Berryessa *;)

Good luck this weekend

Good guess!!!!!!!!!!

I might as well go to Berryessa. *It is only 35 minutes from my house, and there fish being caught. *Yes I do have a couple of Cripplures, but almost every fish I have caught out of there this year, has been with a Pin Minnow. *

JoeTech
03-15-2007, 02:08 PM
This year cripplures have been one of my hottest lures. I tie straight to the line or use snaps to attached to the line. If I'm changing lures a lot I'll use snaps with a swivel at the top of the leader. Seems to work for me.

Joe

seasquirt
03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
When it comes to a crip lure, no swivel is necessary. The lure actually reverses direction on it's own every 15-20 seconds (and depending on speed) so I've never had one foul a line with twist. In fact the line loading up in one direction, may actually help the lure reverse itself, which adds to the lure's effectiveness.

atavuss
03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
any particular color that seems to work the best?

kokoloco
03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Blue/chrome and firetiger. Good luck.

GCinGV
03-15-2007, 07:50 PM
I've done well with red and orange.
GC

dirty3hirties
03-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I bought a blue/chrome cripplure a while ago cuz I kept reading about how well it worked (especially in Berryessa and on kings). I've yet to give it a good try though but after this post, I really got to give it a go. Usually, I'll throw it on for a few passes but to me, it just doesn't seem "fishy"...hehhe. Of course, what would I know ;)

Does anybody know how deep it runs if you topline it? Seems like most people downrig (for the kings). In the winter, I'm toplining most of the time cuz the fish are there.

Budman
03-16-2007, 09:56 AM
any particular color that seems to work the best?
This time of year, the "best" color changes most every day and perhaps more than once during a specific day.

As noted above, Gary ties a long leader direct to the Cripplure or Hummdinger. *As I may changes lures several times a day, I prefer using a small clip.

CraigV
03-17-2007, 03:29 AM
the cripplure has to be one of the most unappealing lures i have even seen, both in my hand and in the water.... the first time i had one in the water, i thought, "youve got to be kidding!"

caught a few at collins with it so it does catch fish. silver/blue most popular. but i have since discarded them from my arsenal. another crappy action lure that catches fish has got to be the pinns minnows. anyone agree? poor action but they do catch fish too.

mtnlks
03-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Budman is right tie it direct. I allways have a snapswivel on my main line to prevent line twist and it makes it easy to change lures.

fish_4_alivin
03-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Giving mine a go at ivr today and tommorow!

Ol Angi
03-18-2007, 06:59 AM
I tried the Cripplure again, and I just didn't have any luck. Switched back to the pin minnow and started catching fish. I think maybe I might be trolling a little to fast for the cripplure.

Cal.Kellogg
03-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Guys....The Cripplure has long been my favorite trout lure...It has a unique rolling action that really draws strikes...In bright conditions and when the fish are feeding on smelt or shad my first choice is always chrome/blue. During low light conditions my go to colors are red/brass or orange/brass.....I've had the opportunity to fish with Gary Miralles, the inventor of the lure, and he ties it on a loop. I had been tying it on with a standard Palomar, but now I put it on a Perfection loop and I do seem to get even more strikes. If you are after trout run it on an 8 lb. floro leader. If salmon are the objective, standard 8 or 10 pound mono is just fine since salmon are not line shy.....Cal Kellogg- 8-)

GCinGV
03-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Gary Miralles gave me some to try at one of the shows several years ago and they’ve been a standard in the box ever since. Have done especially well with them trolling the east side lakes. I have one partner who won’t use anything else. Many times they were the only thing that seemed to work.
Has anyone tried them in streams? Was thinking of trying them for shallow stretches where you’ll hang a heavier spoon.
GC