PDA

View Full Version : Trout at Ord Bend

horseman
03-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Saturday was such a nice day that just had to get the boat out and see what the river looked like near my home at Ord Bend. I thought there might be a Steelhead or two heading upstream so I threw a few different rod setups in the boat and took a run. My boat trailer was the only one in the lot when I launched near noon and I had the river all to myself. I was throwing a BC spoon at a cut bank when I noticed a trout jump at a tailout just upstream. I got out my light spinning rod, motored up there and threw out a small silver and blue Kastmaster. By the time I went in an hour later I had caught and released seven trout from 10 to 14 inches. Just had a blast. I have never fished just for trout that far down stream and wonder how far down river good trout fishing can be had. Years ago I used to ease my boat up into those shallow tailouts and catch great trout up around Anderson. I just used the same technique on Sat with exactly the same results.

chicofishrmen
03-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the report Horseman! I wondered if trout might be caught father downsream after they installed the temprature device on Shasta dam. Are you sure they were bows, and not juvenile steelies going out to sea?

horseman
03-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I have caught both Steelhead and Rainbows at Ord Bend. These were Rainbows. I just had never actually targeted them before and was amazed at the result when I did. Last fall I caught a 4 inch rainbow in the same area on a 2 oz gibbs minnow. The fish bit the siwash and I wish I had taken a picture as the jigg was as long as the fish. That will be one hardcore Rainbow when it grows up.