PDA

View Full Version : Stream/Creek Trout Fishing - setup?

DirkPitt414
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Im heading up to Santa Cruz to a new area just opened to the public between Scott Creek and Laguna Creek, north of Davenport Landing. I hear there are some streams worth checking out. Ive only fished for trout at PF and wondered if anyone has suggestions for a good setup. We will be hiking a couple of miles, so I dont want to bring to much tackle.

Thanks for your help!

docfisher76
03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
hi,

just wondering what kind of streams/creek this is..bec that will help with figuring out the best setup to use...also, how can u access this new stream/creek?

I live in the bay area and been looking for a good trout stream to fish..thinking of going this sunday.

thanx

docfisher.

Fishmom
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM
I suggest you check the regs for the creeks you intend to be hiking along. Scott Creek is a steelhead creek and has special restrictions, as does lower Butano Creek. Other creeks don't open until the end of April.

DirkPitt414
03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up fishmom

Snowtrout
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Equipment set up is: 5'6" ul to light spinning rod with a small spinning reel loaded with 4-6lb line.

Depending on size of the stream and its restrictions will determine bait/lures/weight to use. I love drifting a single salmon egg on a #10 or #12 hook with the barb mashed down. Othertimes I will drift flies with a bobber in front of it. If the stream is big enough, I will use 1/8 to 1/16 ounce roostertails in black, green, white or chartreuse.

Just need to know what is legal and what is not, so you might want to talk to a local tackle shop.

tortuga
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
And don't forget worms with that ultralight outfit. But yeah check your regs and if there is a local bait shop go ask em.
Tortuga

Athlete24
03-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I agree with Bryon_s if it is legal to use salmon eggs you can usually limit easily on good trout streams. Sometimes powerbait will work or even those power eggs. Just get them to just bounce along and the trout will go crazy. Use just the right amount of weight and small snells like eagle claw work good, use 4-6 lb. line, 2 might be pushing it with the bait rolling along the bottom.

Roostertails and Panther Martins never are a bad choice.

good luck

DirkPitt414
03-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Great info, thanks. Ill give a report when I get back on Sunday

Fish_R_Us
03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Or maybe one of those saturday, sunday & wednesdays only for those coastal streams (similar to Pescadero Creek Regs).