PDA

View Full Version : how to fish stained water

smallfry
02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Went to Collins this weekend. *The water was heavily stained. *Could not see my 8" chrome dodger 8 inches below the surface. *

Marked tons of fish. *Nobody was cataching anything. *One guy caught a brown but didn't realize it until he reeled in to close out the day!

Question: what is the best way to fish water so heavily stained (muddy).

I learned something this weekend. *Before heading up to fish a small lake, call to see what the water conditions are after a heavy rain. *A regular who fishes every trip said had he known the water was so muddy he would left the boat at home and simply fished from the shore with marshmellows. *That's what was catching fish and then *from the shore only. (I noticed his boat never left its slip the three days I was there)

Your advice?

Bass fishing was no better.

thanks

johnbfishin
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Using scent might help....that's why bank or still fishing is the best bet, the fish have time to track it down. Trolling in heavily stained water you darn near have to hit them on the head. 8-)

Dennis
02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Troll as close to the bank as you can. Put your rod straight out to the side and troll slow. Maybe .5 mph and use a lot of scent. Refresh every 20 minutes or so. Start with white grubs and also try pearl, and yellow.

Watch the depth on the first one or two passes and put the boat into 3 to 4 feet of water and the rod tip almost on the bank. If you bounce bottom once or twice it's ok. It's ok to loose one or two setups. Pay attention to rocky shorelines for some reason it attracts bait fish and active feeding fish. Good luck and let us know how you do.

The_Big_Sinus
02-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I've had real good luck with both Firetiger Raps and orange/gold Pin's Minnows on Collins when the water is brown... Good luck.

sk8erfish
02-24-2007, 01:03 PM
What works for me in these conditions is after you have marked a school, try using a heavy scent on your lure or bait hook and work it with some kind of dodger or flashers with a short leader. *

If no hook-ups, change to still fishing a few feet off the bottom and work your way up to the surface.

The other areas you should try would be near any inlets or along the bank using a bobber or sliding sinker.

Remember to change-up occasionally and try a scent filled night crawler.

If you have more that one person in your boat everyone should try a different set-up for a better chance of hook-ups.

Good Luck!

smallfry
02-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks to all. I tried some of what was mentioned but there were several techiques I've not tried yet. I will be headed back there again in a few weeks and will try all the above if water conditions remain the same.

Thanks for all your input.

BL