PDA

View Full Version : Melones minifest 2/17

Oxbow
02-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Got a great ride from Ironhead today at Melones plus a lesson on catching bows on my home lake 8-) We finished with 5 in the box and a couple released plus another couple hits that didn't stick. He beat me up pretty bad but I didn't have to stoop to bringing my lonely fish in with his pole, just his rig on short loan ;D.

Thanks for a great day IH, it's always a pleasure to be on the water with you!

Had a chance to say hi to a few sniffers, Doc, Mickey and Dave all with their better halves, nice to talk with all of you and meet the wonderful ladies plus another 1 or 2 sniffers including iron-man and guest.

Sure is great to be able to get back out on the water.

snoose
02-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Oxbow, sorry i missed ya this am, I had a cold kid to get home Lol.
Yeah there were a lot of sniffers out today
Snoose

Farrier_Frank
02-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Good to see you're back on the water, Captain. We've missed your reports and words of wisdom. ;)

fishguts
02-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Glad you were out today. It was alot of fun listening to the radio chatter and it sounds as if everyone had a great time. Couldn't ask for nicer weather and nicer people to say howdy to.

Ironhead
02-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Whew, what a day for me. Just now getting done, but it was worth every minute. Had the pleasure to have the real Melones captain join me today. Oxbow welcome back, my friend. You did yourself proud today. He may of only reeled in one fish, but as you can guess it was the biggest.

Glad to meet Doc, Super Dave & Steelhead Slayer and there better halves. Chatted with Mickey and John B and did come across Iron-man up river. Missed fishguts, darn...

7 Fish total, 5 in the boat and what beautiful weather. Fish were scattered from surface to 45 feet. Did mark lots of bait and was plenty of wood to dodge most of the day. Below are a few pics. *Largest fish went 17" just over 2.25 lbs.

Ironhead

Doc & Ileane heading in
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1229/p1010045un1.jpg
Oxbow working the rigger
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3074/p1010044hx8.jpg
4 of the 5 footballs I kept today
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3458/p1010047tg6.jpg
Oxbow struggling with the Scotty to start with. I took advantage of it. LOL
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8536/p1010042ro6.jpg

iron-man
02-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Ironhead, Did Oxbow pull that back flip and other stuff on you? When I saw the two of you looks like you had him subdued and under control(if thats possible). Beautiful day on the lake. I finished with one and lost another along with my favorite lure. Had to get my F P home for another commitment. Was leaving when I last saw you. I think your fish were better than mine. see you soon. iron-man

fishguts
02-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Those are some nice pics of some great looking trout. I saw Docs boat a few times going south towards the dam in the morning. Never went up river today. Just stayed around the spillway for the most part. I was the green NR that had the American Flag flying on the antena.

Ray@q97
02-18-2007, 01:11 AM
You guys really did have a mini fishsniffer fest. Oxbow welcome back so good to have you on the water and posting. Haven't met you yet, but Greg does pass on all the wisdom you bestow upon him. Odd though as I know you swear him to silence.

Glad you got into some fish and had a good day.

Ray

PS I thought Doc lived in Reno.....did he come all the way to the other end of the world to fish? And shouldn't Johnny B get better billing?

motherlodefishn
02-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Oxbow / IH,

Nice report and nice fish gentlemen 8-). Hope to see you out on the water.

Regards,
MLF

Ironhead
02-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Ironhead, Did Oxbow pull that back flip and other stuff on you? When I saw the two of you looks like you had him subdued and under control(if that's possible).

The miracle of modern day drugs kept him under control.

He was doing some kind of flips but soon stopped after I gave him my set-up.

Oxbow
02-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Don't believe everything Ironhead tells you. *Yes, I was struggling with the downrigger early but that was because IH set me up with a Roemer release that had already been trashed and would not work! *I fooled him though, I pulled a working model out of my bag of tricks and proceeded to use it just fine. *He claims it was brand new and just faulty of course but I'll let you be the judge of that. *;D ;D ;D

iron-man
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Oxbow, I thought you were the originator of the rule that says"all things are fair in the game of love and war and lets not forget fishing". iron-man

Oxbow
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
;D

Ironhead
02-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Shoot guys, I had three months to try and figure out a way to out fish the "captain" First I gave him the rigger that would not rotate very well and then when he figured that out, I pulled the old broken release trick on him. That bought me 2 hours of free fishing. Then he got the drugs. I had him until about noon, then he got me.

Ironhead

snoose
02-18-2007, 10:48 AM
AHHhhhh fools that you are.
Somewhwere's in the "the Legend of Oxbow" archives is a thread that pertains to not turning your back on him. I remember all those threads LMAO

froggie
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Hello you guys, wish Tortuga & I could have been out there too. But we'll be back on the water soon. [smiley=fishing5.gif]

Hey, look at my "signature" There's no FAIR in fishing!!!!
Some really nice looking fish![smiley=cheerleader.gif]
Froggie

Mickey_Thomas
02-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Had a fun time with all the sniffers and wives. We camped in the Angles Camp RV park, the have a great place for having a big pot luck and we used it pretty good Fri and Sat night ;) I was fishing with SuperDave in his boat and my wife and his wife and I caught a few (5) stockers Fri in 2-3 hours of fishing. Sat the four of us hit the water and the bite was iffy, we'd get one here and one there in the main body of the lake. JohnB and RonGoneFishing headed up towards the two bridges and reported a pretty good bite going on so sooner or later just about all the sniffers were fishing past the second bridge where the creeks split. Lots of bait and good enough fishing to make everyone happy. We didn't hook any giant ones but a couple of 2 pounders and maybe a 2.5 pounder. Most fish were caught on lures tipped with a piece of worm and crip lures, and pretty much all abve 20'. We had a feist Sat night, from hot dogs to Steelheadslayers BBQ ribs. Plenty of booze, plenty of laughs. We ate and drank like true sniffers, you'd been proud ;D ;D ;D Thanks Dave for giving me and Kathy a ride on your boat. And thanks to the rest of you sniffers for showing us such a good time, you all know who you are ;) Ron's Dad cracked everyone up with a great story about the Raleys parking lot ;D ;D ;D If it was G-Rated I would post it up ;)

tortuga
02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Man I'm ready to hit the lake. *Looks like there are a few nice ones being caught...finally. *We got the boat out of the garage but I still have to remount down riggers and the radio and rod holder and stuff. *Probably make it for the afternoon for a while. Since you guys were all there today I guess we'll have the lake all to ourselves. Somebody catching a Koke and you guys catching nice trout. *What a great lake!
Tightlines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

Mickey_Thomas
02-18-2007, 06:18 PM
I forgot to mention SuperDaves Kok he caught, it was at least 16"'s maybe 17"'s, fat, healthy, and beautiful. Broke water 4 or 5 time, put up a heck of a fight. Released in the water so no pic' 8-)

johnbfishin
02-18-2007, 06:48 PM
That was good seeing and bs'n with all you folks. Fishguts, I'm sorry I left my camera in camp so I didn't get the "proof" of the koke your son caught....but I did see it!
My trip started out rough as I threw a rim off of the trailer in Manteca. I called a buddy of mine I know from A-net and within 1/2 hour there were two guys ready to help. All told $42.00 in parts and 1.5 hours later I'm on back on the road.....it doesn't get any better than that!

Fri. I boated three keeping the biggest that was close to 2 lbs but Saturday proved to be a rough day for me. It seems there is always someone who gets the skunk so I "took one for the team", sacrificing myself to the skunk gods. ;) ;D

It looks like we will have a good year for kokes at Melones, I know I'll be heading back. 8-)

drstressor
02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
We're still at Angels Camp RV park. We didn't fish today because of a hangover. >:( We're just hanging out and heading back tomorrow AM.

This a really nice RV park as some folks have already posted. There is a new owner who really cleaned the place up. A real friendly guy. He stops by every hour or so and lets you pour him a drink. :) I think he gave the the sniffers a nice discount. At least that's what I told the lady at the desk. ;)

This a a great place for a late winter/early spring sniffer fest. It's a nice change from freezing out butts off at Pyramid this time of year. This could become an annual event. We're going to sample the koke fishing out here this spring before we head to Alaska.

SuperDave
02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Here is the link to the first part of the mini fest report that got started parrallel to this one.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1171762779

My wife hasn't stopped talking about the campsite. It looks like I'll be back one way or the other. ;)

Mickey and Kathy were great hosts to everyone. Especially to Karen and I as we got to sleep in their RV. Thanks, Mickey and Kathy.

Brettskih
02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I didn't stay in the camp.But my buddy Jess and I had a good time as well.Listened to the radio chatter and caught 6 nice trout, biggest was 6.9lb rainbow.Mickey stopped at the ramp to say hello.Nice meeting you Mickey!I'm not much into camping but love to fish!!You guys sound like a great bunch of guys and gals.I'll be talking to you guys or reading your posts.Great posts and help.Heck, maybe I might help someone too.Brettski

onemore_pass
02-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Can someone tell me where this Angels Camp RV Park is located.
Alright I know it's in Angels Camp but where.
Thanks

Ironhead
02-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Can someone tell me where this Angels Camp RV Park is located.
Alright I know it's in Angels Camp but where.
Thanks
It is right across the street from Glory Hole Store. Maybe a block down the road.

onemore_pass
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Thank You
I should have seen it as many times as I've been up there.

fishon_chris
02-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Great job guys Greg thoes melones bows look nice.I bet sat was nice up there.
I have to get there soon

Chris

untalan1
02-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Hello fellow sniffers,I was at Melones this past Sat. & Sun. and fished the area around the spillway and down to the dam area.Launched at Glory Hole at about 9:30 got my first strike about 5 min. after putting in but didn't sick.Trolled for about 10 more min. and got another takedown fight this one for about 5 Min. and get it to the boat for a perfect net job by my brother ,get it in the boat it was 22" and a 5# bow, my personal best for trout.Trolled the rest of the day till 4pm with just two more drive byes what a beautiful day on the lake but the fishing could have been better.I was the 14' inflatable with 2 guys in it. I met a fellow sniffer at the launch ramp, I introduced myself and I think he said his call name was Dogslayer. I could be mistaken after so many hours in the water under that hot sun I was fried.He mentioned that there were a number of sniffers at the RV park across from Glory Hole Sports .I would've love to hook up with you folks to see how others done on the lake that day and meet so many people that love to fish.Oh yeah! I caught the trouts slow rolling shad with a shad 25' 5 colors with no flashers or dodgers.Fished Sun. got an earlier start in the water by 8:00 trolled untill 1:30 with two take downs but didn't stick and one 14' That I released.It wasn't fron the lack of effort I threw everything at them .but I talked to a few other anglers and they had the same results saying its a little slow.Was supposed to fish Don Pedro but with the way the morning looked and chance of rain reports we decided to head back home to the bay area.My luck while driving on hwy 5 it it was clear as a bell and with no new predictions of rain untill Wed. Well things seems to be looking up weather getting better, fish seem to be biting and daylight savings is right around the corner and three weeks earlier then last year mark your calenders March 11th which more daylight to persue our passion. Happy Fishing .Efren

snoose
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
There is a whole lot of hot air in here, all this talk of 5 and 6#fish but only one picture. Sounds like too much sun and beer LMAO
No pics no proof as far as the locals go.
The best pics were of Oxbow and Ironhead. Mickey did save some face on the other thread lol
Snoose

Mickey_Thomas
02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Mickey did save some face on the other thread lol
;D ;D ;D Thanks snoose, what's really funny is that GoneFishing got on the radio and told everyone that he just boated a 18"er ::) He kept it and showed us later ;D ;D Let's just say he stretched the truth a bit, but the one in my picture was bigger ;D ;D ;D He also admitted that he didn't have a tape or a scale ::) We were all excited for him for a while ;D ;D ;D I think snoose is right about these 5 and 6 pound fish, without pictures they are just rumors ;) ;D ;D ;D

fishguts
02-20-2007, 12:20 AM
I didn't have a pic either but I had a witness, I called out to Mickey and Doc but they didn't answer up, I think they were already off the water, then JohnB answered up and we motored on over to say howdy and witness the fish. thanks for the backup, sorry to hear about the trailer troubles but man what a response for help you got. That is really note worthy.
Untulan1, we must have passed by ya a couple times, waved to each other but didn't realize you were a sniffer. Nice fishing report.

JoeTech
02-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Looks like I missed another great day on the water. Glad to hear that Oxbow got back on the water again. Congrats to all who got to fish this weekend.

Joe

fishnmike2002
02-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I was down in the south end of the lake fishing for bass on Saturday and heard the chatter on my scanner so I couldn't talk back. Before i had the chance to run anyone down you guys had all headed up river. Sounded like everyone was having a good time.

FishnMike

tortuga
02-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey Snoose, last time I was out I got me a 12# (oh yeah is that the pound or the inch symbol?)) Brown but it wasn't big enough to take a picture. When I get a reely big fish I'll post a picture!! [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
Tight lines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

snoose
02-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Tortuga, Yeah, they drive hundreds of miles, have thousands of dollars in the best gear. Butt, lo and behold, the first of only two pics is about two of the best " Melones Maniacs" on the Lake. We all bow [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] to Oxbow. Again, welcome back my friend.

And, by the way Tortuga, you lie and I'LL swear to it [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
No pics no proof.
Snoose [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif]

Mickey_Thomas
02-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Just for you snoose, I'm sure you missed this one, it was on your thread ;D ;D ;D
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7066/mickmelonessm0.jpg

Imbigdave
02-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Nice Fatty there Mickey, his belly curve matches yours.

Sounds like you guys and gals had a great time!

Anyone going to be there this weekend? I have to go do research for a june camp trip and I think it includes some troll time

BigDave

snoose
02-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Just for you snoose, I'm sure you missed this one, it was on your thread ;D ;D ;D
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7066/mickmelonessm0.jpg
Mickey
I made reference to your pic on both sites lol One of two pics for all the fishies talked about
[smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=stirthepot.gif] [smiley=stirthepot.gif]

fishguts
02-21-2007, 08:53 AM
I got this camera phone pic from my friend who went along with us. I didn't realize he took it. This is the 15inch Koke caugth that day.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/jakenm21707.jpg

snoose
02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
If yall say so , Juries still out and no new photos are allowed to qualify as they cant be verified . Any comments from the Melones maniacs?
[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
Snoose

Ironhead
02-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Dang, Snoose... You know I am trying to stay out of this. But you just can't leave well enough alone. My cutting board is 18" wide and 30" long, almost always shoot my pics on that board. When you see me with that board turned the other way and the fish laying the long direction, I will be able to compete with the big boys and say I am catching 6 lb fish on every trip. Just have not quite figured out how to do all that yet.

Ironhead

Note: As Iron-man told me, are you not supposed to be working and paying for his and Oxbows retirement. I am working, darn it...

snoose
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Ironhead, I am working, I am moderating the boat and gear board lol. I know about the cutting board, I have a special yardstick lol

fishguts
02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Snoose I hope you are just playing around.
I guess that will probably be the last picture I post. I feel my honesty is coming into question and the honesty of my son. I don't take that lightly.

snoose
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Fishguts, yeah I am playing around just as you guys are known to do but I guess because i am new to it I am not allowed to do that.
I don't take a lot of things lightly myself but a joke is a joke. Dont get serious
Snoose

fishguts
02-21-2007, 11:45 PM
OK ;)
I guess all that sensitivity stuff from the 90's is still lurking a bit.

snoose
02-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Fishguts, no harm no foul. Yeah a lot of things are still learking from the 90's 80's and 70's lol. I remember a time when we in this country could still laugh at and with ourselves. Man I wish those days were still here.
Snoose