PDA

View Full Version : Mather Lake

cgagex3
01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Has anybody ever fished at Mather. I thought about trying it out one day this weekend and maybe Seco the other. It looks like a nice little pond to tool around in my pontoon. It looks like a small version of Seco with the same underwater plant structure.
picture of the overhead view http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=38.555932%7c-121.254454&style=h&lvl=16&v=1
switch the pic over to the birds eye view and it gives a great view.
I saw that they were planting at both this week. I will post back if I go.

Empire
01-16-2007, 07:04 AM
You will find warm water species in there, bass, bluegills, carp, golden shiners. I don't recall any trout plants going into Mather.

I have taken the kids there a few times to fish from shore during the summer, and we caught plenty of bluegills.

There is a $4 charge to park, you are supposed to pay at a drop box.

AllFishNoWork
01-16-2007, 07:10 AM
I don't recall any trout plants going into Mather
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishplant/fishplant_r2.html
I was pretty suprised myself!

keviwa
01-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Cgagex3,
Mather is tiny. About 1/4 the size of Rancho Seco. Same structure as R.S. so use the same methods.
Kevin

cgagex3
01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks Plug, that is what I figured from the overheads. It looks like the same plant blooms. According to the Mather site they plant trout in winter and bass in summer. Looks like a fun little bass lake. Not quite as close as Seco to me 28 miles instead of 13 but I think I will test it out.

keviwa
01-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Forgot to tell you, the fish are dfg planters 12-13 inchers. Dont expect to land a 3-4lber like you do at R.S. or Amador.
Kevin

Empire
01-16-2007, 08:56 AM
I am glad to see that the lake does get trout.

Time for nightcrawlers under a bobber.

cgagex3
01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Yep Plug that is what I figured. This way I can spend one day playing c&r with the little guys at Mather and then one day hunting their larger sibblings at Seco.

freon
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I have fished Mather lake since they first allowed civilians on the base, I had a pass to fish the lake from the comander, it rocked, I used to catch some real nice 7 and 8 lber bass, up until a year ago (I transfered to an new jobsite) it was still pumping out some nice bass and cats, there are lots of perch in there and they do plant the small trout, it sure gets the kids going. If you look at the tullies by douglas blvd and the island to the southeast of that, you will find where most of the bass and trout are. float tubing is the best way to fish that lake, but a kayak or canoe works good too. You can always walk around it, but it always seemed to put more fish out from a boat or tube. The bass hare very hard to catch, the cats and trout are pretty easy.

MrDasher
01-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Mather is a fun local spot for bass in the summer months. I have heard of the trout planting, but have never cought or seen one. Bank fishing is tough, I perfer my kayak when the plants get thick in the summer. Early am with a buzz bait :o

cgagex3
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
It does look like a fun little bass lake for summer. Of course Seco is closer. And C & R at Murieta with my brother in law is great for bass.
The problem is in summer I prefer going up into the high country for more trout. But on a short trip close to home bass fishing in a pontoon can be a lot of fun in a pinch.
Thanks for the info all, I will report back after the weekend.

campngolf
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Anybody know if there is any type of dock at Mather? I was thinking of taking the kayak out there in the near future and wanted to know what type of launch to expect. Thanks,

Camp

cgagex3
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Camp,
I don't think there is a ramp but it does look like you can go out on the little dirt road by the golf course parking and at least get close to the water. The satelite link I have in the top post here, if you go to it and switch on the toolbox over to the birdseye view you get a great view from all 4 directions. You can even see a jeep out at the point that I am takling about. Also can see a toon and a couple of float tubes on the lake. From construction landmarks around the area I think these photos are around March to May of 06.

campngolf
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
cgagex3,

Thanks for the reply. I've been to the golf course and they have a chain link fence all the way around. >:( I think the only way in is through the main park gate. Heck, I've been telling the DW I need a kayak cart and this'll be a good excuse to buy one.

I was hoping for a dock since we don't have waders and fishing with wet feet ain't too fun. But I think we'll give it the ol' college try and see what happens.

Camp

MrDasher
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Launching a kayak isn't too tough at Mather, I've done it many times. There is a slow taper on the left side of the spillway.

campngolf
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks Mr. D.

alfredo
01-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Heck, I've been telling the DW I need a kayak cart and this'll be a good excuse to buy one.

Take her with you to carry the other end of the kayak. Do that a few times and you'll get your wheels. ;)

I fish there often. I use the lake parking lot. It's a short walk to the launch area near the dam. I usually take my SIK and just carry it to the launch. My SOT is too heavy so I use the cart.

Al

Catch22
01-25-2007, 08:31 PM
At the ISE over the weekend, took the kids to the Youth Fair and let them fish in the smimming pools. The guys running the event said all the fish in the pools were scheduled to be released at Mather Lake on Monday (22nd). They were pretty beat from the pounding they took at the ISE but there were several over 13", many I saw looked 15-16", very hungry to keep striking grubs over and over and over and over, good luck...

cgagex3
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Pretty sure that I will go tomorrow or as a second chance on Sunday for fun. Wanted to go last Sunday but when I walked outside at 5:30 and the wind was blowing and I checked online and it said the wind was just going to get worse as the morning went on I decided to wait. The one drawback to a pontoon, not very much fun in high wind. Got to work on the honeydo list instead.

cgagex3
01-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Just got back, pontoon on the lake from about 7:30 to 11:30. Beautiful day out. The west half of the lake has large areas where the water plants have broken free and are floating in large discs on the surface. Made it kind of hard to fish.
Kicked over to the east end and it was clear. Tried jigging and PB/worm to no luck on anything.
Threw out some kastmasters and when I got to the multi color pattern the bass started pounding on me. Between about 9 & 10:00am caught 8 decent sized bass then they stopped biting too. Brought one of the middle size ones home for dinner c&r the rest.
Never saw a single trout caught even though that was my target, so much for the planting. Maybe the bass ate them all.
Still it was fun with ultralight gear, a couple of those bass put on a heck of a show.