PDA

View Full Version : Why Fire Tiger?

ol_dude
01-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Not that I’m complaining…. But, why and/or what would attract trout to fire tiger??? I find myself shaking my head or more often shrugging my shoulders over this question… Other sport fish species will nail it under certain conditions… yet I have caught trout in all conditions with this color/pattern… I can understand the attraction with lures that mimic baitfish, small trout, crawdad’s etc… but, fire tiger looks likes nothing I’ve ever seen let alone what would trigger a trout bite response… My first thought would be the black stripes… however, not all have them – some just have black spots… or can they even see enough of the stripes/spots… you gotta figure most strikes come from beneath… Is it the color… Bright green/yellow/orange…. I realize they don’t see the way we do, but still a prey item with these colors in the water would become extinct quickly… tough to hide anywhere… you could argue they work better in stained water… but I’ve caught some my largest trout in clear water with it… I know the color changes with depth, but here again…. I’ve caught just as many top lining…
Maybe Doc can chime-in…. there’s probably an easy answer or certainly more intelligent thinkers here… Fire Tiger is making my brain hurt….

Mickey_Thomas
01-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Well depending on how deep you're fishing, remember as you go deeper colors change, black strips will always be black stripes but the orange, yellow and greens can be different shades of grey. That's the only thing I can think of at this time, just wanted to help with your brain freeze. Fish don't see colors the way humans do ;)

Katch
01-21-2007, 02:32 PM
The best answer I can come up with is that it has green and bright orange in it, it's highly-visible in the water because it’s bright. For fish to be able to take a bait, it’s got to be able to see the bait which is why fire tiger seems good in murky water, stained water and even clear water.

tcbritton
01-21-2007, 04:02 PM
ive wondered the same thing I used a tigerfire flatfish (small not sure of the number) for yrs as my fall back on. it has always give me fish when nothing else has no flashers just ir all by its self trolling on the surface ;)

mtalley
01-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree with the previous posts on visibilty due to brightness and contrast. I would also add it may be an aggresive response that triggers the bite more so than a feeding one.

tcbritton
01-21-2007, 05:11 PM
my flat fish is in its own case its faded a little but that has only increased its bite ratio ;)

MrDasher
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I've cought lots of fish (trout,bass,striped bass) on firetiger. I've wondered the same thing. Maby they want to see how a bright green and orange fish tastes. ;D

tcbritton
01-21-2007, 05:23 PM
maybe it just pisses them all off and they bite it to get rid of it ;D

Ray@q97
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
All I know is that they work and work when all else fails. No doubt the depth changes the colors significantly......

Ray

bankerbull
01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
trout are not dumb, in fact, I read where they are the smartest of all fish, even more than the famous sturgeon and sand halibut, the fish sense something about why we always change lures, and since the firetiger is used more than any other color, the trout hit it because it makes us happy...there..that is why..anything else sir? [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=bump.gif] [smiley=boring.gif] [smiley=boring.gif] [smiley=goodnight.gif] [smiley=seestars.gif] [smiley=party.gif]

ol_dude
01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
It is an amazing color/pattern for trout…. I’ve tried other similar colors/patterns with variations just to test some of the very same thoughts and ideas expressed here about visibility, depth and color changes… short of biting into one to see what they taste like (thanks MrDasher – best laugh I had today)
Fire Tiger Rapala (J7) was my last test… had just caught one…switched and tried the perch color – darker green has black stripes and an orange belly… nada…. Switched to Hot Tiger – bright orange… *same markings…. zip…zero….nada… back to FT and hook-up… all very unscientific of course… but worked…
I guess some things are just better left a mystery….
Or maybe 1Hog On is on to some thing…. *We cast or troll so many and so often… we’ve conditioned the trout to think it is a species of bait fish…. ;D

johnbfishin
01-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll go with the contrast theory.