PDA

View Full Version : Z-Ray?

Fish_Bully
01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Anybody trout fished with Z-Ray products manufactured by Wittmann?

They are kinda like the AC Plug and other lures/plugs/spoons.....something magic about them! *;)

Flip

fishnallday35
01-18-2007, 01:25 PM
yup I have a fire tiger on that produces all the time.....it's lucky!!

metalmouth
01-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure about the magic and they're nothing like an AC Plug, but they work for Kokanee jigs as an attractor.

HBFishin
01-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Yes, I have used the z-ray in many colors.
Works very well in the Sierras.

I have found that they are not that castable, but they have good action.
So, trolling they are fine, but shore fishing, not so much.

snotshooter
01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
We use them at Oroville. They slay the trout, but the Salmon dont seem to like them. The heavier models will cast with light gear. I have about a dozen of them in different weights and colors. I will always try one or two every fishing trip. Great action.

dirty3hirties
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
I saw a guy using at quarry...casting from shore no more than 20 ft. offshore. Landed a 4.5 lbr beauty. I ran over and asked him what it was. He said that it's his "lucky" lure.

ratss427
01-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure about the magic and they're nothing like an AC Plug, but they work for Kokanee jigs as an attractor.

well said m.m. not sure where the a.c plug comparison is from?but i have about 15 z-rays in two sizes.and they work real well trolled on a downrigger.whenever a situation calls for a humdinger or needlefish.a z-ray will do well.

Manteca Steve
01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I used z- ray at trinty lake that produce very well.Color was yellow with red dots.

Athlete24
01-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I use Z-Ray in creeks around the Bridgeport area and in other Sierra Nevada Streams, works good, caught a few with it.

SalmonSeeker
01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
i've caught tons of trout in the high oregon mountains. Plan on trying to use them for steelies

fish_junky
01-19-2007, 06:54 AM
I have 15 or 20 of them but never caught anything on them. I don't think I left them in the water long enuff. I'll have to give them a fare chance next time.

wkokaneeman
01-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I've used them at Pardee with some success in the past. yellow & frog worked for me!!

fishnallday35
01-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey MetalMouth

hes saying they are magical like those other lures....read his email more craefully....obviosly they dont LOOK like an AC plug ... :P

I agree they are LIKE those other lures theres something magical about them

tortuga
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Here's another "BACK HOME" remark. Back home in New Mexico Z-Rays are what I learned to catch trout on. (Well besides worms and fireballs) Whether we were goig stream, river, or trolling in a lake we always carried Z-Rays, Mepp's, and Panther Martins. We thought new comers were crazy with their flashers (called x-mas trees) and wedding rings. I bet I still have a dozen Z-Rays....wonder why I haven't been using them.
Tortuga

Barbless_Fishin
01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
I've had some success with Z-rays in the sierras. The Gold with Red Spots worked well when other lures were not. Even with my ultralight and 2lb test they don't cast very far. But in the sierra lakes and streams usually that is not an issue. You can use a split shot about 3 feet up your line for a little extra weight, it doesn't affect the action of the Zray, but you can tangle your line if you are not carefull.

Digi-Troller
01-19-2007, 10:09 PM
ive had success with z-rays for cutthroat trout here in utah. (strawberry reservoir) i got them to try for kokes, but found that they didn't work that well at strawberry or flaming gorge for kokes.

danhood
01-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Back in the 90's I used to fish Lake Shasta and used a white with red dots one for kings and had a lot of success with them. Used it with lead core and worked well.

fishdude76
01-20-2007, 07:52 AM
People always ask what doesn't work out at Pyramid. I've dragged a couple of Z-Rays in the right colors for no luck out there. I have had some luck at Stampede with the frog pattern on bows and smallies.