PDA

View Full Version : wd-40 for scent?

setemNnetem
01-17-2007, 05:23 PM
has anybody ever used this? I heard that wd-40 works great for fishin. anyone ever used this before? does it work?

troutfan
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
You should use one of the natural scents like pro-cure. If you use WD-40 it's just like dumping gas in the lake.

JusTrollin
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I dont think its legal.

setemNnetem
01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I was actually think about that. Thats true it cant be good at all for the water. Thanks

troutfan
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
These are the ingredients in WD-40
Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates- 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil- 15-25%
LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 12-18%
Carbon dioxide 2-3%

azteca
01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi I am new and I heard about useing wd-40 but I also heard its illigal. So I looked up the MSDS.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf

This is the msds for the arisal wd-40 I wouldn't use it, except maybe on my reel. It doesn't look like its fish oil and it is not water soluble. I have been using the natural sents.

troutfan
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Those ingredients I listed are right of the MSDS sheet and it sure ain't fish oil. >:(

HBFishin
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
WD-40 is made of a lot of things, none of it biodegradable.
So, if you use it, you are polluting.
Do not know about legality, but if you want your children and their children to enjoy fishing, don't use it.

Also, think about this-
When you spray it out of the can over the boat, maybe 10% hits the lure, 90% misses and goes in the water, and of the 10% that hit your lure, 9% is washes off into the water. So, 99% of what you spray is useless and polluting.
At the least you would want something more efficient.

Most scents that are sold for fishing have a linseed oil base, which is biodegradable.

WD-40 fact tid-bit:
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953.

Key word here is water displacement.... don't want to displace the water from the lake now do we.

And while we are on the topic of pollution and we....
No going wee wee in the lake either. That speads diseases like Gerardia and others. I have seen too many people taking a leak off the side of there boat.

Hi_Tide
01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
WD 40 is not legal (to put in the water) but OR guides use it regularly and claim good results. A lot of ocean charters here use it for salmon. Its cheap & it works and probably not very harmful in the amount commonly used. However, lots of excellent legal scents do the job at least as well. There is no enforcement on WD 40 here or probably anywhere so those who use aren't worried about the legality. But why give fishing a bad name when there's better stuff available?

wkokaneeman
01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I've used it before here locally,some years back,i it did not work for me.all the other reasons mentioned above aree all good! there are better things to use!!

BigRichClovis
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I have seen people and guides in Oregon use it. I actually do not know what the purpose of this. To me Ican see maybe as a sent but also to make a bait shine. I have only seen Salmon trollers use it in Oregon. I would use the Pro Cure Scents. Why take a chance. I think the people put enough toxins in the water as it is. Lets not put anymore in.

Trout_Terminator
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Its Illegal, and it is illegal becouse of what it does to the envirement ;). Like Troutfan said, get some procure sents, they are cheeper, and plus you wont get a ticket if caught using them ;)

fishtales
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
WD40 does not attract fish, as a bait attractant might. It is alleged to have the quality to mask the "human scent" associated with handling bait and lures(which may be true). There are many more ecologically sensitive attractants designed to do the same job.