PDA

View Full Version : Trolling "superline" and spooking trout?

troutboy
01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I've been trolling with fireline for many years now. I like the fact that if I get hung up on something I can usually get my gear back. I also like the fact that it has no stretch for good hookset and sensitivity (esp when you have 100 feet of line behind you). I normally run a 4lb floro leader to my lure (usually about 2-3 feet long).

I'm wondering. Has anyone ever trolled both braided (or fusion) line and had another rod troll mono and compared the difference in number of bites and also % of hookups?

I saw that Berkley has a new product which is a clear superbraid and I'm wondering if I should try it out. My fear is that even with 3 feet of Floro my main line may still spook fish i'm passing over......

drstressor
01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I've never done a comparison, but since I use 33 to 60 ft of fluoro leader, I doubt that there would be any difference.

troutfan
01-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I have also been using Fireline for years and really like it for the no stretch and strength/diameter ratio. I use 50-100' of fluorocarbon so as not to spook any fish, when trolling. *I wouldn't use any other line when downrigging because braid has very little if any memory. *Another good point of Fireline is that you can tie it directly to mono/Flouro with very high knot strength. *Spider wire for instance is much more abrasive and cannot be tied directly to mono. *I make up the extra cost for Fireline because it lasts alot longer than Mono when using downriggers.

metalmouth
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I run Stren Braid on my trolling reels with a top shot of mono. For Huge fish I run Tuff Line XP. I will never go back to using the smaller test Fluoro's again. It cost me too many big fish. *:'(

Pyramid_Kid
01-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I like the Berkley fire line also. I have trolled with it before and not used any mono leaders and have had much sucess. But........ I was also doing my trolling in lakes where the water isnt chrystal clear either. Lakes Ive trolled with just FireLine. Pyramid, Walker, Boca, Stampede, Prosser. Eagle, Antelope, Rye Patch, and Lahontan.

Maybe it was just luck on my part or the low vis smoke color really works. Untill I (or somebody else) do a side by side comparison we will never know. I think I will just stick with my luck. Id rather be lucky than good. ;)

troutboy
01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I guess I'll try doing a side by side test next time I go out. I'll try one line with my standard 3 foot floro leader and another one with at least 40 feet of floro. I'll see if i helps my bite %.

I wonder if I should also check out pure mono vs floro vs superline....

troutboy
01-15-2007, 03:03 PM
So I was trolling Amador with my buddy DirtyThirty on Sat and Sun and one of the issues I had was tring to "match the hatch" and find THE perfect color to run. The color the trout preferred seemed to change from day to day and from hour to hour.

One thought I had (after watching a salt water marlin show) was to use try using a teaser. Is it legal to have additional rods in the water trolling different color grubs as long as I don't have any hooks on them? I was thinking I could trail 1-2 extra colors of grubs out with no hooks to see if they would pick up strikes. Even though I wouldn't catch fish on those lines, it would allow me to see if the desired color patterns were changing.

CPTN_JACK
01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Metal Mouth,, hey how ya been?? *Ive been dry docked as i had some surgery last month on my hand,, cabin fevers getin the best of me! Anyway im gona hitchhike on buddys sled to New Melones on wends, can you or any of you trout gurus help out an old salty dog and bring me up to speed on trollin shad,, how to rig them with just line and hook,, do you whant the roll,, or do you want a strait bait,,size hooks and line,, *flashers or not?? how deep??any tips would be a big help!!! Many thanks CJ...... *Ps *if you guys are gona be on the coast this weekend,, weve got crab camp at doran!!stop by for a visit!! [smiley=captjack.gif]

Kokehunter
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey Cpt Jack, How are my ball trolls coming? Use the roto-echip by pro-troll, it has a tandem hook setup and holds the shad just right. I have had best luck on the green one at Melones but I am sure any will work. How was your grandsons graduation? Its nice to see another new fireman with so much enthusiasm coming on board, good luck.Fred

CPTN_JACK
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Fireman fred,, thanks for your repy,, i think youve got me mixed up with some one else!! Thanks for your tips!!! CJ!! [smiley=captjack.gif]

Kokehunter
01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Yaeh, sorry, I thought it was Capt Jack Yandell at Shaver lake. Well good luck anyway, I guess the salty dog gave away you were on the coast. I have been enjoying the 2lb plus- dungeness crabs from Mendocino area.

dirty3hirties
01-15-2007, 07:28 PM
One thought I had (after watching a salt water marlin show) was to use try using a teaser. Is it legal to have additional rods in the water trolling different color grubs as long as I don't have any hooks on them?

I would say illegal. DFG site should have something about that. They may not say specifically, but your limit is 2 rods/fisherman. So technically speaking, you're gonna have more than 2 rods in the water even though there's no possible way of catching a fish. I don't think they considered what you want to do though. I haven't looked it up though...but if I was to bet on it....I'd say no.

Mr_Ed
01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
The first time I used Spider on a level wind for Bass, I got

back lashess that would break the line or loose my lures !!

It is not round,but oval in shape, which is a killer !!

I have never had a back lash with Fire line or Pro.

However any knot I use to join mono,Floro etc. to this braid sucks !!

I go with a x-tra fine swivel, that goes through my reel line guide,
so I have a 100% knot strength knot !!

I dare you to tell me you have a knot that is stronger .......!!

Notice , I did not bet any money !! ;D ;D ;D

Later Ed