PDA

View Full Version : When Do The Kings Get Started in Don Pedro\Melones

FISHNJIM
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I was wondering when the season gets started for landlocked kings in Don Pedro & New Melones?? Is it end of January?

tortuga
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Jim
There are no kings in Melones but there are Kokanee. Kokanee usually start running in mid April or so. Summer at Pedro is when I've done best. Check out Gloryholesports.com for their seminar in April. It is really informative and a lot of fun.
Tight lines
Tortuga

fishon18
01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Jim,

Tortuga is correct, there are no kings at Melones, but the lake does offer an awesome kokanee fishery, that starts around Apr and could last through late August or so. Don Pedro has excellent king salmon fishing year round, however I generally do my best fishing for kings in the fall. Rolled shad as deep as 100' at times. hope this helps Fishon18

Schu
01-06-2007, 03:58 AM
From the Fresno Bee on January 3

Lake Don Pedro

**Bass ***Trout *Kokanee ***King salmon

Danny Layne of Fishin' Dan's Guide Service reported excellent trout and king salmon action in Mexican Gulch, Big Creek Arm, the Flume and into Six Bit Gulch from the surface to 25 feet with Vance's Little Slim Willies combined with a Sockeye Slammer or an Uncle Larry's green spinner tipped with a piece of 'crawler behind a Sep's Watermelon Sidekick on a sideplaner. Sideplaners are effective to move your lures close to the bank without disturbing these areas with the boat. Layne also recommended scenting your lures with Pautzke's Krill in Paste or Liquid. Trout bite is excellent at 12-14 feet with a Vance's Dodger in green or gold in front of a Nasty Boy or Ex-Cel Shad in green. Salmon are at 20-25 feet and hitting rolled shad on a Pro-Troll Harness or purple UV Apex lures. Phil Hill of Jig's Bait and Tackle in Le Grand reported bass to 13 pounds landed on swimbaits or Roboworms on the drop shot. Lake is holding at 79% capacity.

New Melones Reservoir

**Bass **Crappie **Catfish ***Trout *Kokanee

Melanie Lewis of Glory Hole Sporting Goods reported great trout fishing, especially from the banks. Trollers are landing more of the planter-sized fish while bank anglers have been taking fish to 6 pounds. The best spots have been Angels or Glory Hole Coves or the Black Bart Day Use Area with Berkley Select (glitter) Power Bait in rainbow or chartreuse, or a nightcrawler/scented marshmallow combo. Trollers have been having the best luck from the surface to 30 feet with lures such as Apex UV or shad-patterned Needlefish, Excel or any other small spoon or frozen shad. Bass at 5 to 40 feet on points in the main lake and upriver. Crawdad imitations such as Carolina-rigged green pumpkin Zoom Brush Hogs or brown jigs/trailers are working. Brett Smith caught and released an 11.3-pounder on a Huddleston swimbait, and Vall Garringer caught and released an 8.5-pounder on a Huddleston swimbait. Catfish are taking anchovies, sardines or a ball of nightcrawlers on sliding sinker rigs. Crappie and bluegill action is slowing. Lake is holding at 82% capacity. Surface-water temperature at 52-53 degrees. High-water ramps still in use.

FreshwaterFrank
01-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Melones doesn't have salmon anymore, but back when...late 70's early 80's...it was salmon central! For a couple of years we'd go down to the Parrotts Ferry ramp in the late afternoons, launch a kayak, and just slay them... each 3-6 pounds or more. Nobody seemed to know about it at the time, just us locals. I ate so much salmon, I started to grow gills. Melones could support salmon same as Pedro if DFG wanted it to, I guess the koke fishery is more important to them?

FISHNJIM
01-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the great info. I didnt realize you cold fish for kings year around. Thans again

Jim

DanClark
01-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Kings won't get going until late March or early April at pedro or mcclure sometimes nite crawlers will work better than shad than since they have not been feeding on shad since fall. Anyways I am off the water till then.

Dan