PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Shaver Lake

johnbfishin
12-24-2006, 05:43 AM
My family has rented a couple of cabins there for a new years gathering and I'm thinking I'll sneak some fishing in. I'll be leaving the boat at home because that's a little too obvious ;). I've never been there before so I'll consider this trip as doing some recon for next year.
Does anyone have some info for a little bank fishing this time of year?

AllFishNoWork
12-24-2006, 06:07 AM
I'll be leaving the boat at home because that's a little too obviousgee John, you think ;) :)

I've never been there so no help from me. But an inflated worm always makes a good Christams present, oops I mean good bait. ;D

johnbfishin
12-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Allfish, I'll have some kids in tow as well so I don't want to have to draw straws to see who gets a ride. ;)

I know this lake sees some koke action during the summer but there isn't much reported on it during the winter.....maybe I can get something started. 8-)

Ray@q97
12-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi John.....I have never fished the lake this time of year....you are right it is a great Koke Lake.......you might PM Ironhead or maybe he will see this and jump in. he does fish that lake a bunch.http://www.capt-jack.com/ the web site is a guide that lives at Shaver, Capt. Jack. He is a great guy, I am not sure he will respond to email, but if you call him on the phone he will tell you exactly what is going on. Jack must fish that lake every day and he has always been happy to share.

Have a great trip and enjoy the lake.

Ray

JoeTech
12-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Its been awhile since I've fished the bank in the winter months, however the area near the dam always seem to produce for me and right out of the edison day use area. Inflated crawlers I would say is your best bet.

Ironhead
12-24-2006, 12:38 PM
John,

If continual action is your pleasure, the crawler and power bait will entice the smaller fish. The areas JoeTech described are easy access with a short walk from your vehicle and produce fish. If kids are involved, Camp Edison would be my choice for safety, the dam area is steep and rocky.
If you are looking for a large fish, a rapala from shore will entice some action. There is always a few big fish caught during these months. It might as well be you.
It will be cold, low teens at night so take plenty of warm gear.

Good Luck

Ironhead

zinger
12-24-2006, 02:28 PM
I can't remember if it was last winter or two winters ago...but I had good success throwing a crawler about 3 feet below a bobber off one of my friend's dock. Not really any size to the fish, but it kept me busy ;D

mtalley
12-24-2006, 03:13 PM
By the main boat launch just past the dam there is a small creek that flows into the lake. You may want to try there, the launch area shouldn't be very busy at all.

johnbfishin
12-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Can I assume there is a store that I can get bait and a couple of licenses should I need them?