PDA

View Full Version : Giant Kings River Trout anyone?

trout_man
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm going to be in Fresno for X-mas and wondering if anyone has been pulling those huge trout out?

Thanks

fresnofshfan
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Check this out! They arent kidding nice big fish!

http://www.fresnobee.com/372/index.html

Might try to hit it on saturday am if weather is right.

trout_man
12-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh crap! So they are planting at Lost Lake also. I haven't fished that place in years. Nice place to relax though. Fishing is usually pretty packed with people. But that's about the size I remember last year at Kings.

mtalley
12-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah they are planting both rivers trout man. A buddy went by Doyal's (the store on the Kings River) and they had pictures of an eleven lber, (2) 9's and a couple 7 lbers.

Ironhead
12-15-2006, 01:26 PM
When I came down from Pine Flat last Sunday, you could not find a place to fish on the river there was so many people at Piedra.

I also stopped a Doyal's and check out all the nice fish being caught. I just can not handle that many people. I will stick to my boat.

Ironhead

trout_man
12-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah my brother in law went last week. He said it was packed. He didn't see too many people catching the big ones though. Maybe too much pressure on the river. I'm pretty sure the week days must be a blast.

Hopefully everyone spends time with the family at home on X-mas, I'll be trout huntin.

More than likely it'll be a zoo though.

fishon_chris
12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I agree with Ironhead.Cant handle that many people.Fishing is suppose to be a relaxing time. 8-)

Chris :)

bretmoua
12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Never caught a giant one from kings river cause it's about an hour drive from me. But my brother has caught 4 of the giant ones from lost lake. I actually landed one to but the darn fish spit the hook right back out. If the giant trout get hungry enough, it'll bite almost anything, similar to the trout. My brother has caught the 4 giant trout on four different bait types. Power bait, panter martin spinner, salmon eggs, and night crawlers. The big fish are out there after planting....it's just fighting the crowd that I hate. It's worst than salmon fishing. I would suggest anyone targeting the giant trouts to try it on a weekday. Thats when my brother caught the 4 giant trouts. Not too many people will be out there during that time but since it's the holidays now and people are out of school....I'm sure you can expect a huge crowd almost everyday of the week.

zinger
12-16-2006, 02:53 AM
If there weren't so many people I'd be tempted to try and take one of those with a fly. Can you imagine catching one of those on a fly rod?!

trout_man
12-16-2006, 11:49 AM
The ones I caught last year didn't fight that much. It just felt like a smaller trout stuck in some weeds. Just like a heavy weight. I was really suprised how easy a 5-6lb trout came in.

Now the ones from last year and weren't caught should be awesome.