PDA

View Full Version : ABALONE HUNTERS

cptdarel
09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
A FORWARD:

The Fish and Game Commission will meet at the Flamingo Conference Resort Hotel in Santa Rosa (2777 Fourth Street) on Thursday October the 2nd to take public testimony on the north central coast MLPA proposals. item on their Thursday agenda, which will start at 10AM. There will be NO DECISION at this meeting – that will most likely happen in December or January.

The PSO will be there to make our case for the amendments that we want the Commission to make to the Integrated Preferred Alternative (IPA). We have already submitted our request to the Commission in the letter incorporated in my MLPA End Game Strategy post. For the last two days I have been in San Diego and Los Angeles to solidify our position with our PSO partners and to make additional contact with the BRTF members.

So here is what we need our FISHERS to do; and always in a respectful tone, and with a positive attitude. We have much to lose by an inappropriate confrontation, and much to gain by respectful and well informed input to the Commission.

Focus on the abalone issue and the unintended consequences to communities and the abalone fishery that were unknowingly built into the IPA. These unknowns and unintended consequences can be addressed by minor technical corrections to the regulations for the three areas identified in the PSO letter: Sea Lion Cove, Saunders Reef (where we also want to allow shore based angling), and the Russian River.
• Focus on the health of the abalone fishery in this area of the coast as consistently stated throughout the process by the Department of Fish Game.
• Focus on how the abalone fishery constitutes the economic backbone of the recreational fishery in this study area.
• Focus on the unintended negative economic impact of the IPA abalone regulations - which can be as large as 38% for the IPA ($3.4M annually), and which can be reduced to 27% ($2.5M) by these three simple technical corrections.
If you do choose to speak, you will only have a minute or two at most. Stay on message, be respectful, and perhaps we can bring some relief to the communities on the north coast and to the thousands of abalone fishermen.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the guys who have gotten us to this point – we need to play a smart end game to ensure that we don’t stumble now. Show up and play a smart end game.

abdiver12
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Thank you for this information Cpt, I'm going to post it on abalonediving.com which is where alot of us divers hang out and swap stories. I'm sure that more than a few of them will be interested in attending and providing their input. This meeting affects all of us and our way of life and its so important that we don't lose the privilege of responsibly hunting this mollusk in northern California. Again, thank you and I hope the results of this meeting and the vote soon after will be favorable to all of us.

fishhook 60
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
thanks abdiver i didnt know there was an abolone .com

cptdarel
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks abdiver *i didnt know there was an abolone .com
I didn't either. :o

fishhook 60
09-27-2008, 05:56 AM
seems like this might be a good site for info i cant seem to get the registartion to work.