PDA

View Full Version : Collins Lake, net pen program

chicofishrmen
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Here is the link to an article about the stocking program that just got started at Collins, all I can say is wow! Looks like the trout fishing is gonna get even better. The article also states that they might use the pens to raise Catfish & Sturgeon http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif While not mentioned in this article, there was another recent article which reported they are now starting to stock Browns!

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/2006/12/11/news/local_sports/sports1.txt

fishinator
12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Great article ChicoF. Thanks for the report I might have to start making my camping reservation early next year.
fishinator

Mickey_Thomas
12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
The one and only time I went to Collins was over 3 years ago, but that was the day they stocked catchable Browns. I bet a few survived too ;) Sure didn't hear much about anybody catching Browns at Collins ::)

AllFishNoWork
12-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I think Collins is a great place to camp. I didn't have the best of fishing luck there, but I'm a little(not much) wiser now.

My question here is Collins allready boasts one of the best stocking programs in No Cal. Could another lake benefited more from this program? Is it a facilities issue?

loudjimmy
12-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Thats one thing I love about collins!!! They take the time and spend the green to get the action!

When the water was low one year they created bass habitat all around the lake by tying big tree branches to the bank... It's effort and money well spent that gets results!

I can't wait to see the trophies they let loose!

HBFishin
12-13-2006, 07:50 AM
This is great timing. I had never heard of Collins before and three weeks ago showed one of my fishing buddies their web page.
We both decided that come the new year we would make a trip there.

And now there is this article. Fantastic!
Thanks for sharing the news, maybe early January...

Looks like this lake gets some pretty heavy preasure. Specially in the spring. Anyone have any experience with too many angelers on the water? And when would be the times to avoid going?

Last question, I have a canoe with trolling motor. It is hard to tell just how large the lake is. Is it reasonable to get from one side to the other in a little canoe?

Thanks.