PDA

View Full Version : rivers to fish for rainbow and brown trout

buzzbombs
05-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Can someone please tell me about some rivers to fish for rainbows and browns without having to deal with the whole steelhead and salmon scene like in sacramento. I want to be able to fish with out all the competitive crap that goes on down there. Any help?

Oxbow
05-31-2004, 12:56 PM
The upper sacramento is known for bows and the Walker and Truckee rivers are known for browns and bows, plus I see where they planted some cutts in the Truckee. Good Luck!

johnbfishin
05-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Get some topo maps of Placer and Eldorado counties or even the forestry maps of Tahoe and Eldorado national forests. There are lots of rivers and streams, most hold browns & bows.

Mickey_Thomas
05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Try the north, south, and middle forks of the American, some of the access you can drive to, but the ones that you have to hike to are better fishing (of course). The Rubicon River can be a good one too. ;)

The_Big_Sinus
06-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Get a DeLorme Northern CA Gazeteer and a set of Reg's. Let your fingers do the walking and figure your first trip to your "own" spot will take you an extra couple hours to find.

I highly recommend the North Fork Mokelumne and Rubicon rivers.

fire_on_the_mtn.
06-01-2004, 01:37 PM
One of my old favorites... the middle fork of the Feather River. Rugged & steep terrain, rattlesnakes, wild river, w/ wild trout! :o

hEmi
06-01-2004, 10:24 PM
American is a great place, I love it..But, as stated above by fire_on_the_mtn, I gotta be partial for the Middle Fork Feather.. hes right very rugged, but worth it, fished it all my life and always go back for more .. and if your really up to some hiking (not for the lazy, or outta shape, seriously) .. Try the South Fork Feather. Now is the time to go , but travel prepared. As with the Middle fork , watch for those snakes .. muhaaa ;D

Be safe

*hEmi*

slamanater
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Can someone please tell me about some rivers to fish for rainbows and browns without having to deal with the *whole steelhead and salmon scene like in sacramento. I want to be able to fish with out all the competitive crap that goes on down there. Any help?

susanville river between oct31to november7

fenton_chris
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
as of tomarrow rivers, streams ect above hiway 49 closed until next spring ;), a lil late on this one man

Weez
11-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah, Geez Fenton Chris- talk about dragging up the past! (look at the dates of the other posts, guys). How bored are you to go that far back! Is the trout board that bad these days? Try the mack board. Ha ha.

*Deltadog*
11-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Mokelumne River above Lake Pardee to Salt Springs Reservoir.
Dog

triggerfish
11-16-2006, 07:20 AM
The lower Owens,in Bishop has lots of browns,and bows. And it is open year round.