PDA

View Full Version : Lake Amador for noobs

California_Fisher
10-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Hello people i am going up to lake amador in a month or two waiting for it to "open up" but ive never been there before im thinking powerbait but not shure. Does any one have any suggestions bait,lures,leaders. Please give specifics if possible because I dont want to be out there with all the wrong stuff.

(p.s. Is silver lake any better?)

trackertundra
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Are you planning on fishing from shore or from a boat?

Tracker

California_Fisher
10-25-2006, 08:34 PM
im thinking shore unless they got boat rentals

trackertundra
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
They do have boat rentals! I will not comment on the bank fishing, I will leave that to the guy's who do it best. I troll and it is a blast. Toplining power grubs or crawlers works real well. There is also a unique device called the power mouse that works great. Do a search on this and you will see pictures from last year. Good luck!

Tracker

mike22ca
10-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Trust me, you don't have to have a boat at amador to catch fish. If the fish are active and biting you should be all good.

RIGHTHOOK
10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Yep, I do GREAT from the bank at Amador....the trick is to keep moving if you arent catching....my favorite lure is the rooster tail in this color doesnt look too masculine...but it catches hell out of those trout.

bankerbull
10-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Well,, I know that about 2 weeks ago they were catching them off the shore with PB (Chartruese and Rainbow colors), night crawlers , and kastmasters(gold/silver,3/8 ounce) Silver Lake is a hit/miss type scenario now but Red Lake has been hot every day for about 1 month, ;) ..and the only thing working there, but working great has been the gold/silver 3/8 kastmasters and rooster tails(Black), along with some caught on the reliable PB,(Rainbow color) Red Lake is about 2-3 miles past Cable Lake towards Tahoe , sign/ Red Lake, turn off, go 50 feet and make a sharp right, go 150 yards and knock 'em dead...good luck !! :) Steve

wcslingers
10-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Last year i fished the cove to the right of the boat launch. Cant count the # of limits i cought. Hooked on to a 10# plus there also but my friend cut the line :'( long story not going to get into it, just makes me pissed thinking about it. Use rainbow or chartreuse with glitter. I was only throwing out 15 to 20 feet. Good Luck and welcome to the boards.

LD
10-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Hooked on to a 10# plus there also but my friend cut the line :'( long story not going to get into it, *just makes me pissed thinking about it.

I really don't mean for this to turn into a hijack, but is this guy still a friend?
LD

wcslingers
10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Ya hes a lifelong friend lol.His first time at the lake and we were getting ready to leave in about 10 minutes, he had 4 and i was having 1 of those day you just want to forget about [smiley=wallbash.gif] He was talking so much trash like How can you bring me to your home lake and get your @ZZ whooped this bad. I told him i was going to hook onto a nice 8#er cuz i know there are monsters in there. Not even 30 seconds after i said that WHAM i set the hook and it started peeling line. I was fishing the cove and he started taking off for open water. I had 2 rods in the water and the other rod was to my left so when the fish took off he cought the other line on the way out. My buddy grabbed the other rod and realed it in and it was now tangled by the tip of the pool. Meanwhile fat boy is still ripping line and im running out (ultralite rod with reel that holds 40 yards of 6# test) so i thumbed the spool to slow him down and he broke water right in front of this guy on the other side of the cove. The guy next to me said that sucker is over 10 easy. so i just told my friend to cut the line of the other rod so i could start reeling it in. He put his grubby lips around the line and bit down on it. Woudnt you know he bit down on the wrong line. :'( Conspiracy lol.

California_Fisher
10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
thanks for all the help im sure any other noobs at amador will also apreciate this as much as i do

California_Fisher
10-28-2006, 03:06 PM
i think might fish off the shore so does anyone have any tips of shore fishing at amador from shor ill be heading up there in a month or so

Trout_Shark
10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
This should help:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1161279004/4#4

The info I put on there WILL get you into fish. CraigV put some good info in also. It's not hard to catch them, so don't go buying 10k worth of gear(easier said than done ::)). Just make sure you have the few things that produce well from shore almost every time...like the power eggs and small kastmasters(attack from top and bottom). These fish can bunch up in different areas as you progress through the day, so if you have not gotten a bite in say, 15min...MOVE!

Also, I think you could find this page helpful, it seems many of us answer these questions on a weekly basis :-/:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?action=search

There are hundreds of threads about last year's fishing, and whatever was going on in-between. There is more info in past threads than you know what to do with, so if you want info on amador...get your fill. * If you are having trouble finding something, be real specific, that works best for me. Hope that helps. And if you become a regular, better get a hard hat, cause I love to bomb the shore guys with the famous flying donuts(you can do a search about those too)! ;D ;D

CraigV
10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey, my post and picture i offered on this thread has disappeared! dont know what happened to it either. hope you got to read it and before hand.....sorry.....that's odd :-X

California_Fisher
10-28-2006, 06:44 PM
craig v sorry i didnt get to see the picture and thanks a lot that info did help trout shark

Salvage
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to add that drifting chartreuse Power Bait or various colors of Power Worms have consistently caught the most fish for me from the bank.

YakMotor
10-30-2006, 10:24 AM
California_Fisher - When your post first showed up I was going to suggest using the forum's search feature to help you dig up the wealth of info posted during last season. *But, I tried it myself only to discover I'd get too many hits to get back a whole year. *Wanting to review some of last year's posts myself I found the best way to do it is by page number.

From the first page that shows up when you access the Trout Board you'll see the page selection boxes. *By trial & error I found that page 159 took me back to posts made in early November of last year. *Spending a few hours plugging through the old posts will not only give you ideas for fishing methods it'll give you a good picture of what to expect at Amador ... some frustration ... but often GREAT fun and loads of trout for table and freezer.

California_Fisher
11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
thanx a lot for all of that info its really helpin ill let you guys know when im going are there any hotels near

mike22ca
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
thanx a lot for all of that info its really helpin ill let you guys know when im going are there any hotels near

If your looking for a hotel/motel, I believe there is a Best Western in Jackson right next to Denny's. Wouldn't be too far of a drive at all.

California_Fisher
11-01-2006, 03:51 PM
thanx i know i should look on mapquest but i trust anglers more