PDA

View Full Version : Toplining at Amador.

brownblazin
10-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Will someone pleae help? I have seen comments made about toplining power grubs or nightcrawlers. I have never heard of this technique before i started visiting the Fish Sniffer. Will anyone be kind enough to let me in on this technique. What exactly is it and how do you do it. What lures,bait,ect. would you use. Thanks ahead of time.

fernley_tim
10-27-2006, 02:09 AM
I dont know about amador but top lining just means trolling with out using down riggers or leaded line ect. in most lakes a common technique is to use a set of flashers with about a 18" leader with a crawler threaded #4 hook but you can troll what ever you want spoons flat fish, flies, grubs,ect. hope that helps ;)

CraigV
10-27-2006, 02:41 AM
There are a few ways the guys topline at amador when trolling for amador trout. different types of floats are used or none at all depending on the lure being used. Basically though all you want to do is keep the lure from the surface down to only a few feet from top because the amador trout are topfeeders.
Our method is to simply tie on a clear casting bobber (use any type of float you feel comfortable with) a leader with a tiny swivel in line to help with line twist, leader from 2-5feet, then either tie on a single hook and put the curly tail power grub on. Or you can thread the body of the grub on first, then tie on a size 12-14 treble hook instead of using a single hook.(thats what i do anyways). the other option with power grubs is using a small jighead. sometimes at amador it might be good to add a split shot in your offering to run a just a little deeper while trolling.

but basically you want to stay in the top 6 feet of water when trolling along slowly. let out a good amount of line but keep in mind you HAVE to keep watch on others around you if you are longlining. be smart and be courteous as well with your line. if you think another boat is getting close to your line or a possibility of crossing trolling paths, reel in a bit until you know you are clear. saves time rerigging, lost setups on either side, and tangled props. If you follow to closely, beware of the flying DOUGHNUTS.

Good colors at amador are orange,pearl and chartreuse for the berkely 2 or 3 inch power grubs. i bought a big bulk bag of a different color power grub I havent seen in stores and will be giving them a try this year.

You can also topline with rebels or rapalas, or any other small crankbaits that only run a few feet deep. you can even just apply a small amount of powerbait on a treble hook and troll it thru the top few feet instead of a power grub, with maybe a split shot or two to keep off of the surface.

fish may be sitting deeper, but they will come on and get your stuff if they are interested. if you mark a bunch of fish down 30feet, dont try to get it down 30feet. stay along the top. they'll come for it. good spots to work regularly are near points along the shorline. once the fish spread out soon, anywhere can produce fish. Dam,spillway,mainbody,arms and coves it wont matter. Amador is a small lake with lots of fish to catch every season. thats why we pay the big bucks to fish it.

information for fishing at amador is one thing you dont have to worry about finding on fishsniffer trout forum. just do some back searches, last season was oct-may. you should be able to get all the info you need to help you fish this lake. good luck and catch em! dont underestimate the power of the Amador trout!

brownblazin
10-27-2006, 03:33 AM
CraigV and fernley_tim,

Thanks for the quick responses and information. CraigV, you were very descriptive and that is greatly appreciated. At first I was not sure if I would get that much information from everyone let alone from 1 person. It is great to see someone willing to help out a stranger like that. THANKS.

partner
10-27-2006, 05:43 AM
well done craig! *You have me itching to get a hold of my trout rod again!

partner

superT
10-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Here's another method thats fun. I've had success toplining using a fly fishing outfit with a floating fly line and a worm or grub, woolyburgers are good too. A four pound Amador trout is a ball on a fly rod. With this method there's no need to run out more than 40'-50' of line which is a good thing as Amador can get crowded. If you see you worm, grub on the surface add a small spitshot, you want it just below the surface. And troll SLOWLY catch fish be happy.

SuperDave
10-27-2006, 07:32 AM
.... And troll SLOWLY catch fish be happy.

IMO, this is the biggest key to fishing Amador. One can't troll too slow. It is almost like a drift but with the motor running. .7 to 1 mph is right in the ball park.

dan82
10-27-2006, 12:57 PM
where do you buy berkeley power grubs and why is it beneficial to use a float at all?

thanks

SuperDave
10-27-2006, 01:03 PM
where do you buy berkeley power grubs and why is it beneficial to use a float at all?

thanks

Once Amador turns on, you won't find the correct size or colors within 100 miles. You might just want to order now that it is early yet.

Maz
10-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Super Dave,
I can remember last year being almost as excited as grabbing an orange power grub that was floating by as a double take down.

Maz

CraigV
10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
hey brownblazin, you are very much welcome for the info. im just passing on my knowledge that i have received fishing amador over the years and because the other guys have have helped me with their tips on this forum. we will be making our first trip this season in the next two weeks.
berk. power grubs are always hard to get off the shelf. people buy them up quick and the stores cant keep up. fisherman's warehouse needs to overstock the powergrubs this year. i have a few left over from last season in orange and pearl plus plus i got a bulk bag of over 100 grubs in a color i havent seen or used before at amador that i will be trying this year. there are online stores you can order them from if you cant find them.

the flies on top like woolybuggers will work too like stated.

as far as trolling speed, slow is good, but i think that on some days and the conditions of the water, sometimes faster speed have produced more fish for us. when we troll with th electric trolling motor, i usually set around 2 or 3 speed outta five. but a few occasions, we have had more strikes moving faster with my 40 horse at slowest idle speed (no trolling plate) and just circle areas with fish marked. slowest is usually better, but i feel it depends.

perhaps take along some krill scent or anise to put on the bait.

good luck. CraigV

RonM
10-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Craig_V is correct about the speed, you have to try different speeds to find what they want that day. Most days .8 works other days they want something faster When you troll you want to make several "S" turns, this varies your presentation and will cause a strike. You usually get the strike on the inside rod on the turn. Most of the time we troll without any weight at all, just a good swivel and the leader using a Power Grub. Another trick is to add a Power Egg or two just above the hook using a different color from the grub. Sometimes just the Power Eggs on the hook works. One thing I found too is don't be in a hurry to set the hook, they might hit three, four or five times before they decide to take it. You will see your pole go down and want to set the hook, wait till it goes down and stays down and the almost hook themselves.