PDA

View Full Version : Lake Oroville??

crestliner2000
10-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Whats up with lake orovile? I went there yesterday in hope of hooking up a coho or some trout...I got nothing! not even a hit. Even tried for bass, I got nothing. A friend took his boat and the same thing happened to him. Is it something in the air???

fish_junky
10-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I was wondering the samething. I haven't seen a report in a while.

chicofishrmen
10-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Whats up with lake orovile? I went there yesterday in hope of hooking up a coho or some trout...I got nothing! not even a hit. Even tried for bass, I got nothing. A friend took his boat and the same thing happened to him. Is it something in the air???

Welcome to the boards Crestliner2000. What lures (or were you minnow fishing) were you using? *And how deep were you? What was the surface temp?

Coho's are the only trout/salmon in the lake. I also read here about German browns here, but while there may be a few, it is a 1 in 1,000,000 shot a getting one (in my opinion).

crestliner2000
10-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Well i started with a dodger and needle fish at day break. then used all kinds of colored spoons. i used downriggers from 20 to 80 foot all day. Then i trolled with a worm, nothing. The wind was up so i found a cove and through out some live minnows and worms and drifted at about 30 feet, still nothing. I figured maybe it was the wind, did make for alot of whitecaps that day. I knew me chances in catching a coho was slim but, i figured at least a bass......got skunked

chicofishrmen
10-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Well i started with a dodger and needle fish at day break. then used all kinds of colored spoons. i used downriggers from 20 to 80 foot all day. Then i trolled with a worm, nothing. The wind was up so i found a cove and through out some live minnows and worms and drifted at about 30 feet, still nothing. I figured maybe it was the wind, did make for alot of whitecaps that day. I knew me chances in catching a coho was slim but, i figured at least a bass......got skunked

Well I haven't been to Oroville latley, but the lure that has worked best for me in past is an all white needlefish with a flipper tail (about 1 inch long) no dodgers etc. The area's I like are the west shore as you come out of the spillway ramp, face of the dam, and the bouy line by the intake. Your depth seems ok, but it is hard to tell w/out seeing what was on my fishfinder. Just keep in mind that they just started re-stocking coho's this year, so the #'s aren't just there yet!

F.Y.I.- if all else fails to get bass go to the points and drop the minnow to the bottom and reel up a few cranks.

crestliner
10-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the board !
Catchy name ?
It's worked for me for years .
Enjoy ............ ;)

Later !

Troutdraggin
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Fishing should pick up in late November/Dec after the lake turns over. The North Fork and Middle Fork inlets can get real hot for Coho with the change. The fish will be closer to the surface and more active. I'm holding off until then.

Imbigdave
10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Chicofisherman was the needle fish 1" or the flipper on it?
and no exaggerating 8-)

Dave

norcal_downrigger
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I caught a nice Coho on 10/23 near the dam. I was trolling at about 60 ft. with a dodger and Mepps spoon. It hit hard and judging by the roe they are in the spawn.

crestliner2000
10-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys, i'll be back out there within a few weeks, or maybe this weekend. Fishing or girlfriend?? Can anyone help me with this problem?? lol Anyway as soon as i go i'll post my trip...thanks guys

chicofishrmen
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Chicofisherman was the needle fish 1" or the flipper on it?
and no exaggerating 8-)

Dave

Ha-Ha BD, of course the needlefish is 1" long, exaggerate? Please what else would you expect from a fisherman! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

By the way, sorry the weather went south on you at Pyramid after Sunday http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif