PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat 10-2

Trolling Scotsman
10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I was really surprised with the weather conditions at Pine Flat today. It was quite windy and there was a lot of low clouds and haze. I launched from Lakeview at daylight and shot across the lake to the point just south east of the launch. I set up one pole with a silver minnow and the other with a rainbow trout Rapalas and lowered my lines to 35 and 45 feet. I trolled west toward the dam and picked up my first bow after about five minutes. I caught the second one about ten minutes later. Both were 15 inches and very fat. I caught two small kings and another bow that was 14 ˝ inches. Things got slow and the wind kept up so I made a quick run up to Trimmer. I marked a lot of fish on the ff but got no bites at all. I finally decided to just call it a day. I was tired of fighting the chop and wind so I headed back to the dock at about 11:00 AM.

I try to revive and release all of my fish but the last trout didn’t take off like I had hoped he would and a heron flew out and snagged him. That is the second time this week that bird has flew off with a fish I released. I think I will keep them in the net from now on until I am sure they are ready to be released. I can’t see putting them in my freezer until I eat the ones I already have.

I also met Ironheads nephews this morning, Zinger and his younger brother. They were very fine young men. They sure know how to fish… They must spend a lot of time with their uncle. I was quite impressed! Wouldn’t it be a great world if all the kids were as well rounded as these young men? It’s good to see someone is doing something right when it comes to raising young people like this. Nice meeting you Zinger!

Good luck and great fishing, Jim

Ironhead
10-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the report. I was sitting at work today wondering what the day would bring up at the lake for you lucky fisherman. Same report from up north with the high winds and plenty of chop on the lakes.
Those birds get pretty smart after a while. They all start watching the boats and then jump at a chance for a easy target. Your net approach will alleviate that problem.
Zinger has turned into a great fisherman. Even when he was a young lad at 5, he would sit in the boat all day and watch his pole. He has loved to fish his whole life. His younger brother is just starting to fish, so we will see how that goes. I can not take much of the credit for those kids. Their parents have done a outstanding job raising and teaching them.

Ironhead

zinger
10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words Jim. It was great finally getting to meet you and match the face with the name, that's what the Sniffer is all about right? I'm glad to see how much you're enjoying trolling and how well you've been doing up there. Anybody that beats me to the ramp is usually pretty dedicated lol.

Like Jim said, conditions weren't too great but were manageable. Started on the south shore also...slightly west of Jim. Had to teach some downrigger operation to lil bro (this was our first solo trip) so my personal fishing time was slightly shorted. Tyler picked up a nice 16" bow around 7:30...fairly skinny though, only 1.2 lbs. 50 ft on a firetiger sockeye slammer behind a chrome/green vance's dodger. Shortly after I picked up back to back kings on an orange sockeye slammer, same dodger and depth. Tyler finshed off the day with another bow, 14" on the firetiger SS again. We packed up at 10:00...went for a little cruise...let him drive the boat...and finally called it a day around 11:00. Surface temp 71 start to finish...saw 3-4 boats out there. Just another great day on the water...

fishon_chris
10-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Great reports guys sounds like the cold front slowed things down.It will pick back up though. :)

Chris ;)

JoeTech
10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reports Jim and Zinger...Wait Zinger shouldn't you be in school?...dont worry I wont tell. I can't wait to get out there and fish again. Darn its been almost 2 months since I've been fishing...soon enough I'll be able to be out there every weekend following Ironhead & Zinger around...lol they always seems to know where the big fish are...Its going to be nice to be able to fish rain or shine...can't wait. Keep the reports coming!

Joetech

Ray@q97
10-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reports Jim and Zinger. It is great to keep tabs on the local water. Sorry you had such a bad weather day. Fishing sounds about the same as it has been over the past few weeks.

Zinger is a good kid, it is Ironhead you have to watch out for.

Maybe this weekend. athough it is budget time for me and I have to get 2007 all put together before the 15th.......unlike Ironhead I am now going back to work on them. I will add a new line item "Client Fishing expense" so I can take clients fishing like Ironhead on a weekly basis. I only get to do that once or twice a year...... Fish Envy? I think so

Ray

Ironhead
10-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Ray,

Maybe you can buy some rebar from me and I will buy a couple of Cd's and we then can fish together each week and call ourselves clients. Now that is a great business plan.

Now that I remember, who was the one going every Friday afternoon?

Ironhead

zinger
10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Joe,

No I wasn't ditching...teachers had meetings or something so no school. It's next monday that I'm ditching ;)

Why haven't you been fishing? Have you been hunting?

Ray@q97
10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Ironhead...that sounds like a good idea to me.....we can discuss your advertising campaign.......you will be in the budget.

and it is Fish Envy........your fish always are bigger than mine....

Ray

JoeTech
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Zinger - to much work ...got pay for that new boat... and when I'm not working I've been hunting. I figured the hunting season is only a couple of months and then I can fish the other 10months. Well keep me posted on the fishing reports.

Joetech