PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake 9-23-06

Phishinfool2
09-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Fished Silver Lake Saturday morning from 6:10 am till noon.

Trolled Flashers with a worm topline to 12 feet, on opposite side of lake from boat ramp along granite boulders.

Caught 10-12 trout 10-13", kept 3 put back the rest.

It was * WINDY white caps and all, but it was sure better than workin'.

Jimbo

n2trout
09-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Way to stick it out Jimbo. I was supposed to be up there yesterday but "honey do's" had me confined to house arrest. Also I was a bit worried about the wind factor since I would have been in my "little tin can" this time instead of a "luxury liner". Glad to hear the fish are still aggressive up there and you put some in the box. ;)
I am headed out for Salmon on the Sac tomorrow. Trying to ditch the skunk thats had my number out there so far this year. ::)

red_perception
09-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Hello from Lake Tahoe, That sounds like a great day! I had thought about Caples, but opted for ICR instead. It was windy there too unfortunately and full of green goo. Got a 13" Bow on a j-9 rainbow. Tubers were catching good numbers on nymphs by the dam. A 6 pounder was taken on POWERBAIT! Good luck, Eric :)

atavuss
09-24-2006, 06:35 PM
we went today (9-24) the weather was cold in the morning but almost dead calm. mid morning and afternoon the weather was just about perfect with a very slight breeze off and on. we pulled out 5, biggest was about 15", rest were around 11". we kept all of them, should make a great BBQ after marinading them.
water surface temp was 52 in the morning and 55 in the afternon.
visibility was around 6 to 8 feet. seems Silver Lake is not as clear as Caples Lake. it sure was nice to put in at Silver at O dark thirty and not have to wait for the gate Nazi @ Caples Lake.
saw two guys in a red canoe trolling, could not tell if it was Wiza or not.

The_Big_Sinus
09-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I also Hit Silver this weekend... Windy on Sat- but I did pretty well from shore. Caught 6 browns and rainbows between 6:30 and 8:30 from 10" to 13"- C & R'ed all of them... Changed spots briefly and bagged a 24" bow (kept that one)- same formula as last time, using a Dardevle and casting over shallows next to a drop. Took the gal and some friends shore fishing from in front of Kit Carson for the early PM, and we got maybe 10 between three rods using kastmasters and worms (most fish on worms)- we kept 5. Biggest was maybe 14".

Sunday I only went early. Got 2 while there was still a ripple on the water. When the wind died, so did the bite.

atavuss
09-26-2006, 05:45 PM
anyone know anything about what appears to be at least one other boat launch on the east side of Silver Lake? *looks like it was a dirt ramp, saw several vehicles parked there some had boat trailers. *
also, why would the bite stop when the wind stops? * Big Sinus, where do you stay, at the Resort at Silver Lake? I would like to be able to stay the weekend but it is too cold to camp now. there are numerous cabins around the lake but I doubt if any of them are for rent. we have stayed at Sorenson's in Hope Valley before.

SalmoClarki
09-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I think the wind plays a bigger factor on lakes like silver that are relatively shallow and clear. Most places in silver, you're fishing in >25ft
of water. The fish become spooked because of the disturbance and shadow your boats creates. Thats why i usually run a super long line when its glass and sunny. I also think the wind sort of churns the lake up and and fish become more aggresive. I have always had better luck when it was slightly overcast and breezy than calm. The only time i have done well with no wind was at amador in a torrential 8 hour downpour. That was ridiculous, but i was getting my $32 worth ;)