PDA

View Full Version : potential halibut fishing spots@ bodega or tomales

halislayer
08-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know of any shore fishing halibut spots from shore from either bodega or tomales bay? Heard of Goat rock being one but not sure?

Redwine
09-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Halislayer,

I've fished Tomales for many years, but only by boat.
The only time I've ever caught a halibut was in the deeper water along the channel that is behind Hog Island.

If you can get over to the strip of land that separates the ocean from Tomales Bay, then you would be right along that deep channel and would probably have the best chance of catching one there.

Good Luck!

Redwine~

halislayer
09-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I'll give that a shot. Would like to try tossing some Big Hammers on light line. Thanks for the reply!

keelhaulinrob
09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
i heard in the channel or opening of the bodega harbor if the fish are in you can catch them, but if not theirs always lepord sharks and other kinds of fish you can target as well. but good luck.

triggerfish
09-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Try throwing perch grubs,and silver/gold trout spoons in the surf.on long beaches, ocean faceing like 10 mile,-pt reyas.stinson.etc. I used to have luck with them down south on the L.A./Ventura line,

basil
09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
A buddy of mine claims that he has seen seen a party boat back up next to goat rock to get close to shore then dump the lines and troll out. This is right up to the beach on the north side of the rock. It was some years ago, so the question is how much conditions have changed since then.

rockbass
09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
the beach on the north side of goat rock can be very rough and unsafe. If you fish there go early in the morning before the wind starts blowing. Also keep moving up and down the beach. Try Salmon creek just past the park HQ buildings for surfperch. Halibut from the surf on the Sanoma coast are rare. The channel between the jettys holds fish but you have to time the tides,it can be a strong current and eelgrass especially on a outgoing tide and if it's a minus tide forget it.

jdecker
09-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Be extremely careful when going out, the mouth can be extremely dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

65whaler
09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
spoke to the state park ranger from heart's desire today. he told me about a 21' boat [type unknown] that flipped in the surf off mclure's ranch yesterday fishing as shallow as they dared. they both survived very luckily, but the boat was not so lucky. they salvage what was left in the morning. point being BE CAREFUL.

:o :-? :o

jdecker
09-07-2008, 07:47 AM
I would recommend going out during high tide, minus tides and it makes it very difficult. I have scraped sand as 8' waves curled in front of me.

foggy
09-07-2008, 08:18 AM
First off, I would catch some bait inside of the bay at Lucas Warf or spud point, tides etc. than I would try fishing off the very end of the Doran jetty with live shiners or jack smelt.
I have heard of people catching them their I guess you just need to put in the time. good luck and you need to hit the jetty early it seems like it fills up fast this time of year.

jdecker
09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
And is much safer there.

G-whiz
09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Not to change the subject but, I keep hearing these stories about boats flipping going out of Tomales Bay. That can be a deadly place to navigate the swells, surf, sandbar and channel. And people of little experience continue to go out that way and really put their life and others lives in risk doing that. I went out the mouth at high tide, some years ago with a experienced old salt and we almost bought the farm. I consider myself of average experience and refuse to go out that way. I'll take the haul from Bodega to get down there.
Just my two cents. Whiz

jdecker
09-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Smart man

Captain_Morgan
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
What type of boats are you talking about? Small? I have a 19' Alumaweld & have no fear & do feel safe going threw the potato patch. I also have the ocean chip in my FF that shows me the channel. Where do you draw the line talking about safe, or not to pass?

jdecker
09-09-2008, 05:45 AM
I have a chip on my ff and I do probably 30% of my viewing through it to get through the shallows, but I wouldn't try it without it.