PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat 9-17

jcombs
09-18-2006, 07:57 AM
We arrived at the lake at 4:00 p.m. Drove the boat over to one of my favorite spots on the lake. Unfortunately, did not mark many fish there right away. Picked up a king and a small bass. Picked up another small bass trolling around to some other areas. Fishing was very slow. Finally, started marking fish in the original spot around 6:30 as the sun started to fade. I think the fish moved out of the deep water onto the structure to chase shad. Then, I got a small tick on the middle setup. After a few seconds, the pole slammed downward in one of the most massive bites I have ever got trolling. I hooked the fish and ended up landing one of the most impressive bows I have ever caught trolling. The fish easily went over 20 inches and I am guessing it was several pounds. Anyway I released it back so someone could catch it another day. Ended up with two more rainbows and another bass. Also, got several bites on a trolling fly and dodger. Thanks to all you guys who replied to my trolling fly post. Trolling flies are now apart of my arsenal. I just have to figure out how to get good hooksets with such a small hook. I was not having problems with the Gamagatsu's on my needlefish, but the trolling fly hooks were not performing well. I am officially addicted to Pine Flat, by the way.

Also, I will be on the water at 6:00 tomorrow. It will be one of my last days fishing before I go back to school at UC Davis. Any sniffers going?

JoeTech
09-18-2006, 08:45 AM
THanks for the post, sounds like you had a good time. I wish I was fishing but I have to work. Good luck

Joetech

fishon_chris
09-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Work.

Trolling Scotsman
09-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Great report… I went up on Sunday morning also. I caught eight bows, one bass. I lost one, along with my minnow Repella, on a huge bite. *Anyway, I launched at Lakeview and fished the dam area most of the morning where I caught the to large bows that I kept (both15 inchers). Fished about 45 to 55 feet with shad Repellas and Neddlefish. While I did show a few nice schools, I lost most of the fish on the finder later in the morning. I moved up just south of Trimmer and found more fish than I have ever seen on a fish finder. While I did catch four in that area, most of them were small trout that were snagged by the hook.

I love fishing Pine Falt and I look forward to doing more of it now that the weather is cooling down. If anyone catches a nice trout or bass with a Repalla minnow in it’s motuh, please send my lure back…

Good luck, Jim
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/me_boat.JPG

Ray@q97
09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Jim if you find a net, or a cop car needle fish they are mine. I had the same experience up there. just past the trimmer area at the mouth of that cove/river. more fish than I had ever seen on my finder. I also love Pine Flat, it is my favorite body of water in the area as well. Hope to see you up there. I was there Friday afternoon with Cris and Mario, and I thought long and hard about going up Sunday afternoon as well.

Good luck and see you on the water

Ray in Visalia.

zinger
09-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Sorry I'm so late to post. My dad and I were on the water at 6:00 AM Sunday morning. Fished the shoreline opposite from lombardos all the way up to the dam until about 9:30. Picked up 3 quality bows (16 inches), one bass, and 5 little kings that I shook loose. The bows came on a silver sockeye slammer, bass on a copcar needlefish, and the kings on a shad Ex-Cel. I also had several bites on a shad apex but couldn't stick em. At 9:30 we picked up and headed to the powerlines, where I caught two small bass on the Ex-Cel, then at 10:30 we came back to our original spot. Nothing happened so around 11:30 we motored on up to trimmer. Picked up one more little king and called it a day at 12:30. All fish were 20-50 feet. 74 surface temp in the morning and 77 when we left. No fish pictures but I think I got one of TrollinScotsman.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8577/trollinscotsmanzz7.jpg

Trolling Scotsman
09-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Oh man I'm busted... Glad to see someone knows who I am. I am planning on going back up there on Monday to try and catch the fish that got away with my Repella... Will have the radio on scanning 68, 69 and 16 so give me a shout if you make it up there.

Jim

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/me_boat.JPG

zinger
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Jim I was in the little 14 ft. aluminum, you probably saw me. And I won't be up there Monday...school :'(

jcombs
09-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Fished Pine Flat again today with my Grandpa. Started fishing across from Island Park at 6:15. Caught 4 decent bows, 15 bass, and 1 king. Fishing was decent early but the fish moved off the spot as the day wore on. Caught one bass with shad literally spilling out of its mouth. Can someone please give me a magical suggestion that will repel all small bass from my lure and instead attract giant rainbows? I guess I am just spoiled after catching that nice bow on Sunday.

Here is the picture of Sunday's fish and another of what the fish are feeding on:

http://www.box.net/public/static/gocft5u53a.jpg
http://www.box.net/public/static/5rc3mqfnil.jpg

BigRichClovis
09-19-2006, 06:45 PM
jcombs,

Nice fish. I have not made it up there in some time and I am over due. What lure is that? Also I think you are picking up suspended bass. Try going a little deeper. At least you are catching something and not just draging lures all day. My dad and I were doing really well with a silver and black broken back right before summer.

Trolling Scotsman
09-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I do remember you Zinger.... Let me know when you going up some time so we can say HI... Heck, If you go alone as much as I do we can team up. The Lass has a lot of room on her and you might be able to teach me something about fishing.

Good luck, Jim

zinger
09-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah I did notice you were flying solo...we'll have to team up sometime.

Ironhead
09-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Great reports guys. Will soon be heading back up there. What was the boat traffic like this past weekend?

Off this weekend to watch my son graduate from boot camp in Illinois.

Ironhead

jcombs
09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Jim-

If you need company, I am always up for a good day of fishing. PM me if you want to go.

appleinorange
09-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Fished to day from 2:00 to about 6:00, Lombardos to the dam area. Caught 7 trout and one king. Nothing to brag about today but it was good to get out. Fished by my self today so no big fish. My wife is the one that gets the big ones. I to fish alone alot and on weekdays if anyone wants to hook up. Rick

JoeTech
09-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Nice to hear that you guys are catching some fish out there...can't wait till i get out there again.

Greg- Tell you son I said congrats on the graduation.

zinger
09-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Greg,

Hardly any boat traffic in the main lake, saw maybe two ski boats and 5 fishing boats. The skiers were more plentiful in the windy gap/trimmer area. Nothing too bad though. Tell Jarod hi for me and congrats on graduating.