PDA

View Full Version : Castle Lake Info

semperfi_82
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Im going to Castle Lake for Labor Day and was wondering if anyone had any info on spots to fish and presentation techniques. Im a bass fisherman and dont have that much experience fishing for trout. I will have my float tube, so if you know a certain area that is good in a tube, let me know. Im assuming there are no bass there, but if there are, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Phishinfool2
08-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Castle Lake as in up by Mt Shasta? If so, my youngest son went up this last w/end and 10 of them limited out friday and saturday by 9:30 am at Lake Syskiou trolling needlefish and pwr bait,Mccloud lake has always been an AWESOME lake to me but recent reports has it being a real DOG. If nothing else Mccloud is a really cool lake atmosphere and water color,(about equal to Jenkinson) if you go good luck.

piscolabis
08-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Castle Lake at Mt. Shasta . . . I fish it from a kayak trolling crystal buggers (black) and have done well along the east shore (to the right as you are standing in the parking lot looking at the lake).
UC Davis has a limnology cabin on the the west side. They are doing long term studies of water clarity and it involves Lake Tahoe (comparison data). They study fish diets. If they are there they can probably tell you all the fish species in the lake and what they are eating.
Lake Siskiyou has bass. Bring up your snorkeling gear and swim around the shoreline. The water will be warm and you will see lots of them.
Have a nice time. It's a scenic area.
Tom

semperfi_82
08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Piscolabis,

Is Castle Lake deep? What depth do you troll at?

Thanks for the info.

Phishinfool2
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
as you face the lake from the parking lot there is a monstorous rock wall, the bottom there is the deepest, i have never trolled the lake, have only ice fished. i do not beieve you can have a motor boat on lake. Crater is a beautiful high mtn lake but the fishing at Syskiou right now is off the hook. I have an uncle and several friends who live nearby there and will ask around for any fishing reports. will post soon, again good luck
Jimbo

piscolabis
08-23-2006, 08:44 PM
When I troll bead head crystal buggers at Castle I put out about 80 feet of spider wire line with 50 or so feet of fluorocarbon leader. The bead head helps it sink and fluorocarbon is sinking line also. I troll it real slow and give it some up and down action with some erratic paddling.

another lake . . . Three weeks ago my wife and I hiked up to Mt. Eddy, the 9000' peak directly west and across the valley from Mt. Shasta). On the way(about 2 miles in of near level/flat walking on a nice trail) is Deadfall Lake. It's beautiful and looks very fishy. I saw one fish (9") cruising the the shoreline at noon. We're going back. It's beautiful back there. You get there by taking the Stewarts Springs road west of Weed and driving about 20 min. into the mountains.