PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Reservoir 8-12

troutfan
08-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Just a quick report on Bridgeport since after reading the thread on people posting less reports, I was feeling guilty for not posting. *I fished at Rainbow point from six am till noon kept four(about 1.5 lbs.) and LDR'd three all on inflated crawlers with a power egg and some Anise Procure. *The fish are holding more toward the middle in 15-20 feet of water. *Once the water cools some more heading into Fall the fish should stack up in front of the Marina and the fishing will be excellent again. *I would rate the fishing right now as "Fair", but fair for this reservoir is good at other places. ;)

Munnster
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Have you tried any trolling in the Rainbow point area? Will perhaps fish Bridgeport over Labor Day. Will be visiting in nearby Smith Valley Nev. and may make a run up there. I use to live on the reservoir and Rainbow point was always my favorite place to troll.

Thank you.

Fisher-Munn
2006 North River
w/all extras

troutfan
08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
It's a little dirty right now. Might be good to troll in another month.

NRJohn
08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
I was suprised when the woman at the marina said I could troll. She said start around Rainbow Pt. and troll towards the dam. Sure was a lot less weed this year than last.

troutfan
08-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Well from what I saw at Rainbow there's a good chance you would be pulling some grass unless you have downriggers and can get down a few feet. *I think that starting at the public launch and trolling north towards the dam would be your best bet. *Watch your rod tip and any time you see an unusual tug check your lure. ;)
Report from Sierra Drifters:
Bridgeport Reservoir: Fair-good
The lake level is at last lowering and the weed beds are taking that “Everglades” look that the lake gets this time of year. *Working the channels with streamer patterns that imitate perch fry, callibaetis nymphs, and damsel fly nymphs are your best bet. *Stillwater nymphing is still a good option if you can locate a large hole in the weeds. *Buckeye Bay towards Rainbow Pt. and the drop-off have some limited open water. *Fall is going to be great here! Sheep Meister and resort owner Jefferrrreee Wenger will shuttle you out to the open spots and set you up with his select private stock of holistic fly patterns…Bring him some oats and he may give you a discount on our flies!

NRJohn
08-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Holes in the weeds? Makes you wonder if the guy ever saw the lake? Last year you had to drive around all the floating weeds on the surface. Sunday we drove straight out to Buckeye and never had to avoid any weeds. Compared to last year it's like night and day.

One other thing. We saw 5 small boats all the way up to where the creek flows in the lake. Looked like one boat was actually on the beach. No way could you have done that last year.

troutfan
08-16-2006, 04:29 PM
That's where I caught this one(7.5 lbs.) a few years ago and the lake was lower than last year. That day we were sitting in about 15" of water and casting right into *Buckeye Creek which was about five feet deep. *Only small boats can get that far. When I went out to Buckeye the other day I noticed the weeds were there, they are just about a foot below the surface and then there are clear spots(Holes). ;)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2236/bridgeporttrout3og2.jpg

iron-man
08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Great fish Troutfan. My largest for B P is 6 1/2 lbs about 3 years ago. This year 4.5 lbs. The holes are hard to find and they seem to move, just kidding. I was up there about 2 months ago and we caught a lot of fish one day but no big ones. At the fish cleaning station an older gentleman was cleaning his catch for the day, two fish, but they around 3- 3.5 lbs.So the next morning I/we were out looking for holes over by buckeye driving around in circles when we look over and here comes the older gentleman motoring towards his "hotspot". He must have been looking at a GPS because he stopped and quickly threw his anchor and started fishing. We were close by still looking for a hole and circled to his left and then we found a hole about 100 ft from him. anchored and caught 10 fish so fast one wouldn't believe it(c &r). But no size. So we pulled anchor and went back where we were the day before. As soon as we pulled anchor another boat was pulling theirs and coming to our hole.Our old spot was even better. We finally put 10 in the box and headed for home.Great day at B P. iron-man

troutfan
08-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Thanks Iron-man. My biggest this year was 5.2 but that was the second week of the season. I haven't caught anything over three since then but this fall is when the big boys should come out to play!

iron-man
08-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Troutfan, What do you mean this Fall, aren't you going to Mexico. When do you anticipate the real big ones biting? I normally start fishing for Sac river salmon starting mid to late Sept trying to scrunch trips in between hunting trips. P M me if you want. iron-man

troutfan
08-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Mid-September to the close of the season. *Last year we fished it in October and the fishing in front of the Marina was wide open. *I'll be in Mexico the first week in September.

iron-man
08-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Have a great trip. Pm me when you get back maybe we can schedule an outing for late sept, first of oct. By then I might even try a week end .I have no idea when the season closes. iron-man

Mad_Russian
08-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Have a great trip. Pm me when you get back maybe we can schedule an outing for late sept, first of oct. By then I might even try a week end .I have no idea when the season closes. iron-man *
Bridgeport Reservoir opens on last Saturday of April and closes on November 15th.

iron-man
08-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks MMMMMMaaaaaddddRussian