PDA

View Full Version : CONSUMNES RIVER (HAPPY VALLEY)

ddmclw
05-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Went fishing today and caught 3 fish. 2 rainbows and one brown. they were all around 10in but fun to catch! I used a mini crawler tipped with a cheese flavored salmon egg. Water is still high but looking better week by week. I know there is some big browns in this river caught a 20 incher at the begging of this month and last year my buddy caught a 28 in brown.

anglinfool
05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Whereabouts on the Consumnes River were you fishing. I'm not familiar with Happy Valley. Overheard some guy talking in an elevator about the Consumnes River bite and that it was going well.

ddmclw
05-12-2006, 09:33 AM
The cosumnes river outside of Placerville. I live out towards somerset and happy valley is on E-16. There are some ok places to fish but alot of hiking is required for some of the better spots. The darn poison oak is out of controll this year. Some of the good spots are covered with it. Where are you from?

anglinfool
05-12-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm in Sacramento...I do fish the streams past Placerville, such as Silver Fork of the American, etc. I'll have to check it out some time. I was at Putah Creek last weekend and there was tons of overgrown brush and poison oak, etc. Luckily I didn't get any rashes or encounter any rattlesnakes.

Thanks for the info.

ric1ric
05-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I bet all the nudist up at Happy Valley hate that poison oak. Used to make that hike just for the view.

CenCoast_Angler
05-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Man, I've been wondering about the consumnes River. My parents moved up to Shingle Springs a couple years ago and I've driven over the bridge in Latrobe and gazed at the river below. Looks really fishy! But there are No Parking signs up and down the road for miles. And it looks like Private Property. Can I fish there? And where are the nudists? Seriously. ;D

PK

YakMotor
05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
"Sun worshipers" would be the best explaination for the weekend mob of cars parked near the hairpin turn on Buck's Bar Road coming up from Somerset toward Placerville. I've wondered why this spot is so popular as it looks to be a long downhill trek to the North Fork of the Cosumnes River.

From my quick map check the Buck's Bar access is about one river mile downstream from the Happy Valley Road area off E16 (also called Mt Aukum Rd) that Mad Moody is talking about.

While a solitary mountain stream experience is great for trout fishing I wouldn't be bothered by additional photogenic scenery ... depending on it's "persuasion." Here's a shot I took of the Middle Fork last summer.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4353/mfcosumnesatpipivalley4753ja.jpg

Years ago I was exploring water north of Grass Valley where I discovered the cars were not parked because of fantistic fishing. Most of the folks were up from the bay area and were hogging all the best spots and weren't (in my opinion) scenic suntanned additions to the stream-scape. Salvation for the day was sharing the trail with a shoe clad only M/F couple. Whoa ... she sure helped me forget the fishless day of disappointments.

anglinfool
05-12-2006, 12:39 PM
thanks for the post Yak Motor.

Wolf74
05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Is this the same Consumnes river that crosses 99 south of Elk Grove?

anglinfool
05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
It is Wolf, but the fishing area they're talking about is up near Placerville. These rivers run throught them hills.

Wolf74
05-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Ah ok. I always wondered if that river even held fish. During the summer it drys up and people run ATV's in it. Perhaps it doesn't dry up in the hills.

YakMotor
07-31-2006, 10:56 PM
I remembered this thread and thought I'd make a couple more contributions ... one a photo of the N.F. of the COSumnes River close to E-16 and the Happy Valley cutoff. *Second is spelling correction. *

I discovered this pretty spot with good trout fishing potential while scouting for a geocache and not a fishing hole ...
http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/1827/nfcosumnesflow2535v2475wjr0.jpg

Geocaching is "treasure" hunting using a GPS and I'll post more about my first experience in "Around the Campfire" forum. *But, here I'll say although this area looks fishy it also looks well used for summer cooling off. *I didn't spot any skinny dippers on Saturday but did see lots of cars parked at trail spots and a bunch of folks soaking and playing on the rocks near my photo spot.

I'm an old fart and not too steady on my feet. *Because of the steep hills and rocky river terrain this is not an area I'll fish much. *But, if I was 20 yrs younger with the confidence of a kid I'd be all over the place. *I didn't find the cache on the hillside above the river, but did, twice, carefully make my way down to the water. *Good grippy shoes and a hiking stick made my second trip down much safer. *The abundant poison oak is getting red now so spotting and avoiding it is easier. * *

Camp Creek and the NF Cosumnes both source at 7,000 feet near Silver Lake and they join just above the site of the photo. *Roaring snow runoff *has sculpted the granite and carved holes where big fish can hide and hold. *Looking up Camp Creek I could see some real pretty spots between heavy streamside vegetation. *Looks like an area that would produce lots of trout fattening insects. *"Matching the hatch" in the holes downstream ought to be killer. *

Like others, I had been spelling it CONsumnes instead of the correct COSumnes. * How bout that! An old fart learnt something new!

CRABBY
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
dirty530,this thread is 5 years old,you may not get an answer from ddmclw whoever that was.Welcome to the Sniffer though,hope you enjoy it here...Don

gbslade
01-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the Cosumnes at E16 is in the Sierra District and it's east of Highway 49, so it's closed now. Here's the reg.:

(b) Sierra District
(1) Anadromous waters of Tehama and Shasta counties not listed in the Special Regulations. (Section 7.50). (See subsection (b)(156) of Section 7.50, regarding the Sacramento River.)
Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.
Only artificial lures and barbless hooks may be used.
0 trout and steelhead
Closed to salmon fishing.
No take or possession of salmon.
(2) All lakes and reservoirs except those in the Fall River Valley, those in Inyo and Mono counties and those listed by name in the Special Regulations.
All year.
5 per day
10 in possession
(3) All streams, lakes and reservoirs in Inyo and Mono counties, except those listed by name in the Special Regulations.
5 per day
10 in possession
(4) All streams, lakes and reservoirs in the Fall River Valley above the Pit No. 1 Powerhouse on Fall River in Shasta County, except those listed by name in the Special Regulations.
(5) All streams in Lassen and Modoc counties east of Highway 395 and north of Clarks Valley Road. Clarks Valley Road is defined as those portions of county routes 510, 512 and 506 running easterly from the town of Madeline to the Nevada border.
Saturday preceding Memorial Day through Nov. 15.
5 per day
10 in possession
(6) All other streams except those listed by name in the Special Regulations.
Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15
5 per day
10 in possession

k9mark
01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
From Latrobe bridge west it falls in the Valley District and is currently open if your so inclined to try and fish it, refer to the regs for further details.

SteelyDon
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Check your regs, as far I know you cannot use any bait on that River. It's all artificial and/or maybe barbless and I'm pretty sure you can't keep anything. Best to read up and not pay for it. Let me know if I'm wrong. It's a very pretty area for fishing I think if you know where to go.

gbslade
01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
K9Mark, you are correct for the area from Highway 99 to the Latrobe Bridge. Here's the reg. 46) Cosumnes River (Sacramento Co.) from Highway 99 bridge upstream to the Latrobe vehicle bridge.
Jan. 1 through Oct. 15. Only barbless hooks may be used.

k9mark
01-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I've never seen or heard of any fishing reports for that area, so one can only guess how it would be.

OneTrueBob
11-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Dirty530... glad you were able to use my post to gain some info on this beautiful river.

Don't bother looking for a dam... from what I was able to find, it's the only river in CA to not have some form of dam.

Great looking Rainbow!!! Tight Lines!

k9mark
11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Better double check where your fishing. If it's east of hwy49 your breaking regs my friend. That's sierra district and it's closed. Don't want you getting in trouble.

Marv
11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey Dirty,what size is that minnow plug? Is it a lucky craft pointer or a yozuri pin minnow?

BeefCakeScout
11-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I think he said it was a pointer......or maybe that was a different post, but I have seen that he uses them.

Dirty.....you have been doing some fishing in the neck of woods I wanna hit. I was at my inlaws in garden valley and was drooling over the river(not sure which fork that is) in Lotus. Any experience up there? My buddy and I are gonna be "sick" here pretty soon and we are looking for some ultralight action.