PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley & Ice House

fishnallday35
07-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey planning a trip up to Union Valley & Ice House with my wife and son what has the fishing been like???

Also how are the boat launches anything to worry about when launching there??

Thanks for your help.

fishnallday35
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I hear the fishing is off and on but my concern are the boat ramps what are they like???

SierraSkier
07-13-2006, 09:14 AM
No report, but the ramps at both lakes are fine and dandy, unless you are launching a yacht, you shouldn't have any problems. You also might try fishing some of the creeks and rivers in the area if fishing is too slow.

fishnallday35
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks Sierra Skier....just wanted to make sure...no yacht 18.5 ft family boat...!

Fish on!

LD
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks Sierra Skier....just wanted to make sure...no yacht 18.5 ft family boat...!

Fish on!

Isn't that a yacht?? ;) ;)
LD

OTDRSMN
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Sierra Skier,

I also have a 18.5' fish n ski and both lakes have launch facilities for this size boat and much larger. For Union Valley use the Sunset launch and for Ice house use the main launch near the campgrounds. Loon Lake also has a nice launch ramp near the campgrounds. I will be at Union Valley on Saturday. I'll be on channel 69 if you have a marine radio. If not look for the Gray Fisher with maroon bimini top. I have my Fishsniffer stars on too! 8-)

OTDRSMN

troutbitch
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
hey there fishnallday,

you are better off with union valley than ice house. *i have had much better luck at union, just spent a week up at ice house during the fourth and only had a few bites and a couple of fish. *all the trips to union have been real good for me. try in front of the dam, over in camino cove and where the two creeks come in to the lake. *good luck * [smiley=angling.gif]

fishfool1
07-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey troutmaster - what type of rig were you using? Bank or troll?
Thanks in advance

Fishfool1

fishnallday35
07-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys I will be there Friday the 21st....going to focus on Union Valley top trolling no downriggers maybe jigging deep....probably just bait fish at some spots and cruz around.

Thanks for the info ...

greengoop
07-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I fished Icehouse on Friday morning and again Saturday afternoon. Both days I got limits of planters. Friday was by the dam and down the left (facing the dam) shore for about a mile. Saturday was in the back by the waterfall. I don't have downriggers, and everthing I caught was behind a flasher. they hit rapalas, apex, and worms. The problem is by the time I fought the flashers back to the yak, the fish was not much of a fight. Still nice to be out and not get skunked.

GG

LD
07-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I went to Union Valley on sat, got out there @ 6:30.
The fishing was kinda slow, got 2 in the net, 5 LDR's, and a strange thing... 3 broken leaders. Not sure whats up with that, I had switched to 4lb. leader from 6, I think I will switch back.
It looked like the campgrounds were full, wakeboarders started showing on the water around 8:15, and it did not get bad until 11:00.
It was slow for sure, still beats working. ;) ;)
LD

badbobfishing33
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
whhooo hooo...can't wait thanks for the updates. Fish On.!!! ;D :D

724fishin
07-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey Greengoop,

I believe I spoke to you on Friday morning. I passed by you on Friday morning right in front of the dam in my small aluminum boat. I wasn't having any luck until right after I spoke to you. I caught a nice sized fish. It wasn't a planter rainbow or a brown, all I can find that looked similar is a cutthroat. Maybe I am crazy, anyway it had nice dark pink meat.

The best setup for me on Thursday and Friday was a small Sep's watermelon dodger trailing a crawler. I couldn't keep them off the hook at about 11:00 am Thursday.

724fishin

greengoop
07-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Yep,

That was me. So it was your fault for catching everything on Thursday that Friday was slower? ;) ;)

Right after you passed me I went back past the ramp and got my first one, then I headed down the side of the lake and got my second off the first point. About 1 fish per hour was my catch rate for both Friday and Saturday. Even if slower than that is was nice to be out of the valley heat! 8-) :o

gg

Intradev
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, i'm heading out to Ice house on Monday for a week long camping/fishing trip. I'm looking for as much info as possible to make it an enjoyable week fishing. first off, does ice house have bass? catfish? or just trout?

As far as trout gear, i plan to try flashers, dodgers & worms/needlefish while downrigging. i really dont have a ton of experience trolling so helpful ideas are very welcome. So far, the info has been great.

Thanks,
CJ

greengoop
07-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Last Sat when I was there in the afternoon I saw a guy hooking up on almost every pass in one cove back by the waterfall, not all the way to the end, but in that arm. He was using downriggers, but I am not sure what he was pulling. A couple of other boats told me they were down about 25-35 feet pulling worms and dodgers in the same area, while they were not hitting as much as the one boat, they did well.

Can't say about the bass.

Good luck

The_Big_Sinus
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Ice House does not have bass. *UVR has smallies... *In fact, UVR has some very nice specimens of smallies. *I've seen some in the 5#+ range cruising the shore. *They look at things, but don't want to actually bite them...

badbobfishing33
07-20-2006, 09:40 AM
5# smallie would be one hell of a fish....how cool they live in there...!